Exit Glacier in Seward and Glacier Bay NP

cmood

Hi All,

We will cruise from Whittier which will port at Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP.

As we are going to do pre-cruise land tour for 6 days, might be include Seward if Exit Glacier is a must see. If Exit Glacier is similar as Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP, we might not have to go to Seward. Instead Valdez will be an option then.

Thanks for any comments

CMOOD:)

Just to clarify, you will not 'port' at Hubbard or Glacier Bay....you will 'cruise' them. Meaning there is no docking or leaving the ship for an excursion.

Exit Glacier is a walk up (and free) experience. When we were there you could walk on the glacier, although it wasn't recommended as it is slippery and steep in many places.

The path to Exit was approx 1/4 mile from the parking lot in 2007. It may well be 1/2 mile or more by now.

Depending on which route you take to/from Valdez you will have other options to walk to the face of a glacier.

Personally I think the GB experience from the ship is more impressive than Exit Glacier, but others will feel differently. No one knows how you will feel about it.

Edited by mapleleaves

At the risk of getting too detailed, Exit Glacier is a valley glacier. Hubbard Glacier and the Margerie Glacier (the most popular in Glacier Bay) are tidewater glaciers. Very different animals.

Last time we were at Exit Glacier you were not allowed to climb on it. Last time we were in Valdez one was allowed to climb up Worthington Glacier (also a valley glacier) - which we did with guides and a small group. It was an awesome experience.

If you want to climb a glacier, inquire as to the current status of what is allowed and pick appropriately. If you want breadth of things to do, Seward probably exceeds Valdez - but YMMV.

Depending on which route you take to/from Valdez you will have other options to walk to the face of a glacier.

Personally I think the GB experience from the ship is more impressive than Exit Glacier, but others will feel differently. No one knows how you will feel about it.

I did a glacier hike in Wrangell St. Elias National Park & Preserve. It was great fun.

DON

If you are just considering "Exit" glacier with your Seward idea, I would not suggest it. Already 6 days is a very short time. Distances are vast and time is your friend. I suggest you consider what you want to do with your entire time and make sure it fits and you aren't underestimating.

We just returned from Exit Glacier a week ago. It has receded quite a bit since we were last there in 2006. Here is a picture from 2006.

10377492_10201240875738948_4809023311549005938_n.jpg

Here is a picture of the same location just last week. As you can see you can't see the glacier or even get to it.

10401908_10201267237717981_5923155137963864956_n.jpg

It has receded up the glacier valley. now the only way to see it is to hike up a trail to over look it.

10401526_10201267233037864_8839783763657653134_n.jpg

You can see people on the trail in the upper left corner.

It used to fill that valley and was about 20 feet high at the end. Now it just tapers off.

Thanks all of you above give useful suggestions. We are not very much interested in climbing up on to the glacier. We decide to go to Seward, Kenai Fjords NP will be a must do on the list.

By the way,what's the minimum hours shall we stay in Denali? I am starting worry about the mosquitos, my younger kid is very allergic. We do have epi-pen. But really don't want to be in a hard time then.

Thanks again

CMOOD