NCL - Poor service, poor corporate planning

richg35

Sailing with a group of 7 on the breakaway on 7/13.

First problem - at some point it seems like they changed the dining reservations booking window from 45 days to 90 days and didn't notify passengers. Logged in at the 55 day mark and all of a sudden everything was there to reserve.

Second problem - it took my aunt 90 minutes on the phone to take care of booking entertainment and dining reservations. Since we are in 3 rooms, there are no suitable tools for everyone to book as a group online. Over the phone they also only take a max of 6 people per dining reservation, so we could not even make complete reservations for our group. They said you had to take care of it on the ship.

Third problem - The only two performances of Rock of Ages were both originally scheduled for in-port days. Why would they do this? Shouldn't the headliner show be done on sea days so that when in port folks can take advantage of doing in-port things?

Fourth problem - I'm not sure if people were complaining about point 3, but they cancelled one of the in-port performances and rescheduled it. They sent an email telling us we had to go online to choose a new reservation.

I tried doing that and it looked now like there was only one performance of RoA being offered, and I couldn't choose it because the system was telling me that I couldn't because I could only do that show once per cruise. So they cancelled a performance and didn't update people's reservations so that they could re-book.

I called and customer service wasn't able to help either, as their system hadn't been updated. They told me the show was rescheduled to 7/15 (a sea day) but it wasn't appearing in their system to update. Their solution was to "keep checking the website" to see when you could update the reservation for RoA. I asked them why they would have emailed customers about the change before their system was ready and then would put the onus on passengers to "keep checking" rather than proactively communicate, and they had no answer.

Due to the 90 mins my aunt spent on the phone trying to initially make our dining and entertainment reservations, plus the 40 minutes I spent on the phone with them today (and being unable to have the problem resolved), I asked for compensation. They said they couldn't do anything. I just got a lot of "I understands" from them, since they had no answer to any question and couldn't even provide an ETA on the problem resolution.

Setting up this cruise has been one of the worst travel experiences I've had. We've been on Disney, Carnival and Princess (in groups as large as 16), and never had anywhere close to the headaches as we've had in dealing with NCL.

I'm sure 50 people are going to post how great their experiences with NCL customer service has been, and that's fine, but there's gotta be some reason why 40 days out this cruise isn't full and they keep lowering the price and offering discounted upgrades. Maybe the ship sucks? Maybe it's something else? But IMO seems like NCL should be doing more as far as customer retention and satisfaction goes.

That's strange - we are a family of 7, and I booked all of our dining reservations. They only did 6 or 8, so I did have to book 8, and was reimbursed onboard. I also made reservations for the shows - it was a bit of a PITA, because I had to log in with each room, but I just booked us the same show at the same time.

We loved the Breakaway!

Due to the 90 mins my aunt spent on the phone trying to initially make our dining and entertainment reservations, plus the 40 minutes I spent on the phone with them today (and being unable to have the problem resolved), I asked for compensation.

Compensation?:rolleyes:

If I got compensation for the hours I've spent on the phone with Dell & HP in India I would be a wealthy man.

Edited by Laszlo

Let me start by saying that you'll find lots of threads highlighting numerous issues with customer service / PCCs. Some folks have great luck, many of us do not. I also have the same issue you do with the RoA reschedule (got the emails, can't rebook as of yet) and the dining reservations (can't actually book for the number I need because it's an odd number).

However, I also have past experience to draw on and know that these pre-cruising issues can and will be addressed on board when I speak with the right folks and ask for help. I now work with a fantastic travel agent who deals with NCL for me pre-cruise (and finds it just as frustrating) and then completely enjoy my vacations thanks to the superb on ship staff.

Try not to stress out too much & have a wonderful vacation!

I found out about bookings opening up for Dining Reservations from CC, I never got an e-mail either from NCL informing me. Still waiting, ggrrr. I'm in a Haven and could have even reserved earlier but I did get what we wanted with exception of two LeBistro days where I would like a later ressie, I'll see if I can change that once we board.

Last July, I was the planner for our party (Family) of 10 in four BA balconys.

I wish I could have done our restaurants online but I did have to call, like you.

However, they were able to accomodate our group for every night and every time we wanted (called exactly when I should have been). They did have to officially put us at tables of 8 and 2 or 6 and 4, etc. to make up 10 (which I think is crazy) but they told me when I boarded to just go to the restaurants and let them know we are all a party of 10 together. This included Tappaneki and although it was a pain to go to each restaurant once we boarded, it was done and taken care of without any problems.

I'm sailing on August again on Breakaway and recevied an e-mail today letting me know that my RoA reservation is also canceled. My reservation was for a Thursday, which was a Port day so they also canceled a Port Day show. Who the heck knows why they do it, I don't care to know the whys but haven't looked to see when/if I will reschedle.

Don't stress, even if you don't have it booked, there will be enough seats (at least there was last July) but like you, I would rather have my tickets in hand.

I have been on CCL, DCL, RCCL and NCL and each have their own way of doing things. I do love RCCL but NCL comes in close second. NCL most certainly has more entertainment and things to do for the adult crowd than DCL that you mention but to each his own.

Lucky you, you can say your cruise is next month!

Can't wait to be able to do that. I hope your planning gets less stressful.

Edited by js

Sailing with a group of 7 on the breakaway on 7/13.

Due to the 90 mins my aunt spent on the phone trying to initially make our dining and entertainment reservations, plus the 40 minutes I spent on the phone with them today (and being unable to have the problem resolved), I asked for compensation. They said they couldn't do anything. I just got a lot of "I understands" from them, since they had no answer to any question and couldn't even provide an ETA on the problem resolution.

Setting up this cruise has been one of the worst travel experiences I've had .

REALY compensation for waiting on the phone ??? Worst Experiences !

You expect way to much . :eek:

First I must say we liked our vacations on the Breakaway, but all public venues are smaller than on other older ships--- the theater included... therefore they try to make the main shows on port days, so that the whole ship doesn't try to get to the show at the same time. Most wouldn't fit into the show.

I totally dislike having to plan my evenings 45 or worse 90 days out...how the heck do I know how I'll feel that day?? Maybe the water will be rough and I don't want to eat at special dinner or go to a show that night!!! But, if you don't prebook the shows, sometimes they are impossible to get, and sometimes easy as pie to make or change them--you never know.

Calling NCL can be the worse... Most things very hit or miss with NCL--depends on the person you get and the day..

Safe sailing

I booked 14 people on the April 20th Breakaway and The Customer service was a Nightmare.

After spend 2 days with the Rep from NCL That I booked all 7 rooms with just getting the Dinner RES done. TYhey were still not able to seat us at the times. And Be Very Aware that on the Breakaway Any Speciality Res you eat at they can not seat more then 8 people together. We were always put at different tables.

I found that the only way to get Anything done on the Ship was to Go to the Meet And Greet. I meet the Food and Beverage Manager (Sawant Shailendra) there and never had a problem from that monent on.

We had 2 Cabanas on the Privite island and he made a point to come by and make sure that we were takin care of.

Bottom line is, Outside of the Ship NCL has Terrible customer service.

When you get on the ship go to the Resturant RES desk to the left of the Main desk and confirm you dinner RES.

Other then the Customer service the Ship is Great Pleanty of room even with 4000+ people on board.

Hint: If you want a Quite space on the Ship, By the Vibe passes BEST $79.00 per person for the week Money can buy!

I'm not sailing with a group, but I've had the same exact experience with the same cruise date. I put a reminder in my calendar to make reservations on the day it was supposed to be ready. Thank goodness that I found out through THIS FORUM about the 90 day change! I couldn't make an early dining reservation on Thursday because it was already booked. I had to pick the 6:30 show of Rock Of Ages and late dining. I just got the email about the Rock Of Ages change, but the online system is useless because it still shows Rock of Ages still booked for Thursday. I called and got myself into the later show on the 15th. I agree that it doesn't make sense to have these shows on when we're docked in Bermuda. The 17th, for example, is harbor nights and I don't expect to be back until late.

What's even worse about the scheduling is that it's extremely difficult to book a show and dining in the same night. The shows are EXACTLY 1.5 hours from the earliest dining reservation time. You can't book an early dining and early show. The system won't allow it. You have to wait until a later show or see a 6:30 show and wait to eat until 8:30-9:00. This is madness! I got the specialty dining package for free as part of a promotion, but it's completely opposite from the freestyle cruising concept.

The whole point of the online reservation is so I DON'T have to schedule on board. Now, because of Thursday, I'm going to have to waste time on board to fix the dining. They only allow 1/3 of the possible reservations for the online system, so there's definitely more room.

Fifth problem...

(And not trying to be rude) you will have a horrible cruise. So I am expecting you to come back with a negative review as you've already started your vacation in a negative way. I understand your problems and concerns...But sometimes you just have to let go and stop stressing about it. I cruised last year with 7 and we had to go straight to the restaurant guest services to get our reservation together. It was a piece of cake and didn't take no more than 10 minutes. Hey, if they say you have to do it onboard then by all means, do it on board. That would be the end of that problem. No more calls needed, no need to keep trying online, and definitely no compensation needed.

A lot of people have problems before cruises...If they gave compensation to everyone with those problems the cruise line would not be making much money. I hope that your cruise is far more better than the experience you're having right now. :/

The dining time-frame change has been posted on CC as well as Facebook and NCL's web page.

As for compensation because you were on hold ... well ... :rolleyes:

I let my TA take care of all my reservations for me and my family. Problem solved.

I see others have had negative experiences as well.

Anyway, as far as the compensation goes it's not specifically for time spent on hold, it's for all of the stupid things they have done since the final payment window for this sailing that has come and gone. The whole issue with me having to call today to "fix" our entertainment reservation never should have happened. The booking window change from 45 to 90 days without notifying passengers never should have happened. If you promote "freestyle" dining as a cornerstone of your cruise experience, then call center should be able to accommodate more than a rudimentary subset of reservation criteria. Anyway, this is my first time dealing with NCL, so that's part of the frustration I guess. I've had only positive experiences with support from other cruise lines, so that's where my level setting has been done.

I guess I assumed since there are tons of options competing for vacation dollars, it would be the goal of the company to provide an exceptional experience to people all the way through. That doesn't seem the case here. Maybe throwing a bone like a $25 credit or a free cannolli from Carlo's would make all the difference between giving NCL another chance or not. It's always more costly to get new customers then encourage retention.

I'm annoyed about it now, sure, but when I'm on the trip I will have the best time possible. I am going scuba diving and looking forward to decompressing (pun unintended). Thanks to everyone who replied and for giving some different points of view.

....Due to the 90 mins my aunt spent on the phone trying to initially make our dining and entertainment reservations' date=' plus the 40 minutes I spent on the phone with them today (and being unable to have the problem resolved), [b']I asked for compensation.[/b] They said they couldn't do anything.....

Sadly too many people these days want "compensation".

It saddens me.

It really does.

I'm not sure about the tons of cruising options.

you have Carnival and Royal carribean? with NCL priced right in between them.

regardless, I personally am not an itinerary kinda guy.

Though apparently i need to reserve for the teppenyaki for the kids, but besides that, i get on a boat and see where it rock me.

it does amaze me how someone can plan their life 45 or 90 days out.

as for compensation for waiting. i'd share similar stories with a few other posters about how i'd be a millionaire already if the various businesses didn't put me on hold.

Hell. I joked with an IRS rep about how they should give me a "you put me on hold" tax credit. Guess how that turned out.

This is why I won't sail the XYZ-away ships. Too much hassle, I don't want to plan my vacation so far in advance.

To me it seems NCL is getting further away from the Freestyle concept by requiring do much advance planning/reserving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I won't sail the XYZ-away ships. Too much hassle, I don't want to plan my vacation so far in advance.

To me it seems NCL is getting further away from the Freestyle concept by requiring do much advance planning/reserving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I booked a total of 2 things in advance- Rock of Ages and the Wine Lovers Lunch.

You don't *have* to make it complicated

Sadly too many people these days want "compensation".

It saddens me.

It really does.

Agreed.... and especially when the poor person on the phone wasn't the one that caused the problem. I travel a lot, and am amazed at how people treat the poor soul trying to help them given the constraints of systems usually designed by/for finance. Yes, yell at the ticket agent trying to get you on a flight as they really wanted to re-route 200 people due to weather :)

I'm coordinating a group of 17 on the Breakaway the week before and (as cited there would be) I have had no problems with shows, dinners, etc. One thing that I do make a point of doing FREQUENTLY when on the phone with any sort of agent is thanking them and telling them no worries when they apologize for delays or things they can't do. Honey works better than vinegar all the time.

And as also cited, speak with the powers that be once you get on the ship. NCL has antiquated I/T systems and only allows limited functionality and times on their websites (which I think their own reps use). Some of it is just plain stupid in 2014 -- like the inability to reserve a table in a speciialy restaurant for an odd number of people. If someone did the math of how much more does it cost to fix the odd-number problem versus have those calls all hit agents, I think it would be fixed pronto.

I don't get why they call it Freestyle Cruising/dining. It was originally marketed as eat where you want when you want. But I read on here all the time about people making all their reservations for not only dining but also the shows in advance - what's up with that? And if you don't reserve in advance you get either shut out of the shows/specialty restaurants or your only choice left is to eat really early or really late. Seems to defy the concept. And having tp pay for some shows??

I guess that's why we have moved on to other lines. It's a shame because we did enjoy our 4 cruises with NCL but they really seem to be catering to a different demographic now.

Take a deep breath! :-) I was on the Breakaway for Mother's day. Yes, their website and making reservations can be frustrating. I had to try several times and it finally worked! Yes, I don't know what I want for dinner tonight but I had to think about it weeks in advance for the cruise. Most everything generally works out in the end! And when you get onboard you can still fix or change things - generally with little effort! Do that shortly after you board. Many people didn't make reservations for shows and specialty restaurants before they got on the ship- but I didn't hear or see any major problems. For example--there were also stand by lines for ROA and Burn the Floor- most if not all got in.

Read RCCL boards on Quantum of the Seas! You would be pulling out your hair now!!!! They changed to dynamic dining like freestyle- so lots of problems at the moment and the ship doesn't start sailing to the fall! And then everyone wants to book the shows and apparently only some have been rolled out yet! After you read those boards you will think you have no stress!

I had a very enjoyable cruise!! Good service and entertainment! Didn't have to cook, make a bed or clean! :-) I am pretty picky but nothing is perfect in life so I didn't think my cruise would be perfect either.