No Travel Insurance, Cruise is in 3 weeks and just got bad news today.....

tandtmk04

Hoping someone can give me some advice.... I booked a cruise awhile back that leaves in 3 weeks and did not purchase Travel Insurance (bought 3 times in the past, didn't use and thought I wouldn't need it this time either). Well, just found out today that my father has throat cancer. Hope to find out Thursday how far along it is. Right now, just trying to think ahead.

Do you know if something was to happen and he has surgery etc and we're not able to make the cruise.... will Carnival maybe give us a credit for the cost of the cruise, to use on a future cruise or without the insurance, will we just be out the money?

Any help or suggestions, will be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Unfortunately they will only give you back any prepaid gratuities and part of the taxes. I had emergency gallbladder surgery 1 week before my cruise and that was all I got back. Thankfully I had booked travel insurance and got a full refund. I sure hope your father gets better than expected news and you will be able to take your cruise. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Best thing to do is contact Carnival and ask them this question. You may have to speak to a supervisor (unless you have a PVP). One thing you can ask is if you can transfer to a different cruise, say 6 - 12 months out? That way you may be able to salvage most of the funds if they say no.

Good luck with Carnival and your dad.

Steve

I would say they would absolutely give you credit for a future cruise.

Huh? Carnival has to pick up their tab because this woman didn't purchase insurance, and you say absolutely? Statements like this can destroy the insurance industry, as why would anyone buy it if a cruise line would "just give you a credit"? I guess you don't realize who does the payouts.

OP ... Should something happen, it wouldn't hurt to make the call, expecting nothing but hoping for the best. They may or may not offer you another cruise with a couple of dates they throw at you. Or not. And if not, consider it a lessoned learned, for you, and anyone that reads this thread.

"I want insurance. I just don't want to pay for it."

That is really lousy! Your Dad being told he has throat cancer and then the possibility of losing money for the cruise.

I would think Carnival would say sorry but no refunds. If they did switch your cruise to one further out or just give you your money back that wouldn't encourage people to get insurance. It wouldn't make sense for them to do it from a business perspective.

I would certainly call Carnival and just work yourself up the ladder. You might find someone with a heart. Sometimes huge corporations surprise me with their generosity. Carnival impressed me twice in the past few years with their caring attitude. So, call them, be nice and be reasonable. Good luck with both your Dad and your cruise.

Edited by Cushing985

Hoping someone can give me some advice.... I booked a cruise awhile back that leaves in 3 weeks and did not purchase Travel Insurance (bought 3 times in the past, didn't use and thought I wouldn't need it this time either). Well, just found out today that my father has throat cancer. Hope to find out Thursday how far along it is. Right now, just trying to think ahead.

Do you know if something was to happen and he has surgery etc and we're not able to make the cruise.... will Carnival maybe give us a credit for the cost of the cruise, to use on a future cruise or without the insurance, will we just be out the money?

Any help or suggestions, will be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I am sorry to hear of the circumstance you now find yourself in and my thoughts and prayers to your father that the prognosis on Thursday is better than expected.

Unfortunately, I cannot see Carnival stepping up to the plate to offer you a credit towards a future cruise since you sail in 3 weeks, and are well past final payment. If they assisted everyone who didn't have insurance, then no one would purchase travel insurance, and Carnival would be financially irresponsible to their stockholders (I do not own stock).

Wishing you the best.

Sorry for your situation.

I never book travel insurance. Insurance is simple. If you go on 10 cruises, w/o insurance, than you can go on your 11th cruise with the money you save for free. So every 10 cruises, you get a free cruise. If you are unfortunate enough to need the insurance, than you really still don't lose, since you will still get your free cruise to make up for it.

Don't fret about the money or insurance. Most cases it's not worth it, and insurance is big business, taking advantage of people's fears

Huh? Carnival has to pick up their tab because this woman didn't purchase insurance, and you say absolutely? Statements like this can destroy the insurance industry, as why would anyone buy it if a cruise line would "just give you a credit"? I guess you don't realize who does the payouts.

OP ... Should something happen, it wouldn't hurt to make the call, expecting nothing but hoping for the best. They may or may not offer you another cruise with a couple of dates they throw at you. Or not. And if not, consider it a lessoned learned, for you, and anyone that reads this thread.

"I want insurance. I just don't want to pay for it."

Truth...

I never book travel insurance. Insurance is simple. If you go on 10 cruises, w/o insurance, than you can go on your 11th cruise with the money you save for free. So every 10 cruises, you get a free cruise. If you are unfortunate enough to need the insurance, than you really still don't lose, since you will still get your free cruise to make up for it.

Don't fret about the money or insurance. Most cases it's not worth it, and insurance is big business, taking advantage of people's fears

So basically you don't have house or car insurance because insurance just takes advantage of people's fears, right?

I cannot believe how wrong you are.... There are other things insurance covers. Cruise Critic is filled with these stories. It is not just about the cruise fare either. Math 101 is still open also by the way.

So basically you don't have house or car insurance because insurance just takes advantage of people's fears, right?

Not to mention if something happens and they have to air ambulance somebody back to the states. We have friends that have had this happen and the costs exceeded 50K.

So sorry the OP asked this question. It's a hot subject.

No, Carnival should not give you credit towards a future cruise. As you know, this is why you buy insurance. Will Carnival do it? Who knows. To me it's a cancellation of a cruise.

Not to mention if something happens and they have to air ambulance somebody back to the states. We have friends that have had this happen and the costs exceeded 50K.

You beat me to it. I buy travel insurance for just this reason. A medical emergency could be a financial catastrophe when on a cruise.

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

You beat me to it. I buy travel insurance for just this reason. A medical emergency could be a financial catastrophe when on a cruise.

And that is just the most obvious one. There are many, many, reason it should be considered.

Boy, this is some crazy thinking!:eek: I had a heart attack two weeks ago...no advanced warning, healthy and in shape but what can you do? They ended up putting a stent to keep an artery open. Pesky thing was clogged...others were clear.

Anyway, if this had happened on the cruise I took in April I would have been stuck paying my own way home via air ambulance. I do always have travel insurance though so it wouldn't have broken my bank. Not having insurance is like gambling but, unfortunately, you're gambling with your family's financial future. It just doesn't make sense not to get it.

I think you first need to consider several things:

1) the insurance covers both the cost of the cruise if you can't make it, and the cost for medical expenses should something happen while on the cruise

2) that Carnival is a business and if you cancel so close to the cruise, will they be able to sell the room to another paying customer (do they get revenue in place of the OP not cruising)

With all that said, I don't think the OP will get a refund. But if they have a waiting list, they may possibly be able to allow some cruise credit. That is just my opinion from a business point of view.

From a personal point of view, I think The health and well being of the father is most important and hope he pulls through it.

We went on our first cruise in 2000, and are getting ready for #26.

We have always purchased cruise insurance, due to elderly parents and to not worry about if one of us gets sick, medical fees/emergency evacuation, etc. One day before one of our cruises, husband ended up in hospital; and the insurance was well worth the premium.

I would call Carnival - never hurts to ask.

Prayers that your father improves, and prayers to your family.

That's a poor person mentality. Sorry, just being honest and truthful. No reason to insure if you have nothing to lose. If you have assets you insure because medevac can run $50K or more. Do you feel like losing your home or claiming bankruptcy because of an untimely and unfortunate/unforseen accident? If you have no assets I guess it does not matter.

The head of a household has a responsibility to make sure that the household can function for their spouse and family. Playing Russian roulette to save a few bucks on a trip is irresponsible and short sighted.

As far as OP is concerned I hope things work out with their dad. I hope they are able to take the cruise as planned. I hope they do not suffer the relatively small financial loss of missing vacation.

Glad to see you MAY get some relief from Carnival. Hope for the best for your dad. All that being Said, anything you get from Carnival is a gift. All the cruise lines have basically the same policy on times to cancel. Please, do buy insurance for many reasons, the main reason not to bankrupt you in case of medical emergencies. Way too many other reasons to list. And, maybe those rough on you here will sway your decision next time to buy insurance.

OP

Contact them now and take whatever penalty they dish out

THEN

I would write a nice letter to the guest relations. Include whatever you can from the MD etc to verify WHY you are not going (or didn't go) Proving it as legit will help your case. It is possible they may make an allowance for extenuating circumstances Family/medical)

Last year I had to cancel a flight because hospice said my mom wouldn't make it the week. Afterwards I wrote a letter to the airline. I had to provide documents from hospice and my mom's death cert.

I got a full refund.

I have very strong feelings about cruise insurance and about people who do and do not buy it. However, all I'm going to say to the OP is I hope your Dad makes a full and speedy recovery. Nobody should kick a person for not buying insurance when they just found out a loved one has cancer. Sorry, I won't do it.

Just an FYI for anyone, that in the future may be in the same nightmare that I'm in right now. I called Carnival back and because I am not less than 15 days away from the sailing date. I was able to purchase Travel Insurance and if I have to cancel, I have until the day before sailing date to cancel and will get 100 percent of my money back. I explained everything to them and would still be covered. The insurance was $219.00 total for hubby and I. Because we booked under the "kids sail free", there was not a charge for them! Yay! I highly recommend the Travel Insurance because your life can change in a matter of days.... Mine did and it's not worth the stress I'm having today! Thank You to everyone who welcomed prayers, so appreciate it! Thanks again!

OP

Contact them now and take whatever penalty they dish out

THEN

I would write a nice letter to the guest relations. Include whatever you can from the MD etc to verify WHY you are not going (or didn't go) Proving it as legit will help your case. It is possible they may make an allowance for extenuating circumstances Family/medical)

Last year I had to cancel a flight because hospice said my mom wouldn't make it the week. Afterwards I wrote a letter to the airline. I had to provide documents from hospice and my mom's death cert.

I got a full refund.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I lost mine 21/2 years ago. Very painful. I was able to purchase the insurance ... If I had waited 4 days I would not have. Thank You ...