United or Emirates?

TroubleT

Hope someone will help me to decide... :-)

We need to fly from Chicago (ORD) to Dubai. There are two flights I am interested in:

Emirates - Non-stop

United - 1 stop in IAD

Since it's a very long flight I would like to fly "Business". Emirates "Business" is over 4K. Emirates "Economy" is a little over $800. United "Economy" is close to $700. In the past we used to book "Economy" with United and then upgrade with miles to "Business". We are going to fly in March 2015 and the flight will be at the beginning of the week (not the weekend!).

So, my questions are:

1. Is it possible to buy Emirates "Economy" and then upgrade with miles to "Business" and what is the process? Or once you are in "Economy" you can only upgrade if you pay the full price for "Business"?

2. How comfortable Emirates "Economy" is? How is the service?

Thanks a lot!

Unlesss you have Emirates points/miles you are going to be out of luck as they are not in the Start Alliance (As united is.) So your chances of upgrading using United miles miles is zero. Unless you are needing the United miles to get status I would take Emirates in a heartbeat. They rank near the top of "best airlines" year after year (They are up there with Thai Air, Singapore Air, Cathy Pacific as the best airlines in the world. United........lets just say they get you from point A to point B..usually.)

On United, if you want business than get it form the get go. Don't wait and buy econ then hope to get a miles upgrade later and be disappointed that you didn't get the chance for it. Either use miles or money and get the seat up front when you book if sitting up front is what you want.

If you can't afford business class then I'd certainly go for Economy Plus on United. Personally if flying economy I value the service far, far below personal comfort. It's not as if EK Y is some kind of Bacchanalian paradise, at the end of the day it's just another cramped seat.

I have never flown Emirates, but my understanding is that economy is nothing special. Reviews here:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Yseat-EK.htm

I'd take UA, especially because of the FF miles.

We flew with Emirates from London to New Zealand last year in economy and found it was fine - certainly no worse than any of the other major carriers. One advantage was the luggage allowance was 30k hold and 10 hand which gives a little extra space for souvenirs! Food was fine and the staff very helpful and courteous. The IFE was on from as soon as we took off. Will use the again. Have also used United without any problems

Thank you all for posting your thoughts and ideas! :) If we can't get an upgrade with Emirates, we'll probably use United. Since our flight is at the beginning of the week (I guess it's not a prime time) and not during the weekend we hope to get an upgrade to Business.

Since our flight is at the beginning of the week (I guess it's not a prime time) and not during the weekend we hope to get an upgrade to Business.

Don't bank on it. Not by a long shot.

I have never flown Emirates, but my understanding is that economy is nothing special.
We flew with Emirates from London to New Zealand last year in economy and found it was fine ...
Emirates economy depends a lot on what aircraft type you're flying on. The 380 is fine, but the 777 is a miserable experience for many people because EK has chosen to put in 10-abreast seating. A couple of extra inches of pitch ("legroom") doesn't make up for the narrow seats.

It looks like Chicago-Dubai is scheduled to be operated by a 777 next March.

If you want to use miles for an award ticket in business I find that Austrian Airlines (Star Alliance partner of UA) has availability with UA miles, but you probably have to call Mileage Plus to book over the phone. They have a very good new business class on their Chicago-Vienna flights and fly Vienna-Dubai on a widebody also with the new business. You might even be able to do an overnight stop in Vienna and enjoy that city.

Emirates business is very good and sometimes available for a good price. I've not flown with them economy but I heard that thea are not good in eco.

Emirates economy depends a lot on what aircraft type you're flying on. The 380 is fine, but the 777 is a miserable experience for many people because EK has chosen to put in 10-abreast seating. A couple of extra inches of pitch ("legroom") doesn't make up for the narrow seats.

It looks like Chicago-Dubai is scheduled to be operated by a 777 next March.

Well, in this case United it is! :-)

If you want to use miles for an award ticket in business I find that Austrian Airlines (Star Alliance partner of UA) has availability with UA miles, but you probably have to call Mileage Plus to book over the phone. They have a very good new business class on their Chicago-Vienna flights and fly Vienna-Dubai on a widebody also with the new business. You might even be able to do an overnight stop in Vienna and enjoy that city.

Emirates business is very good and sometimes available for a good price. I've not flown with them economy but I heard that thea are not good in eco.

Just from my recent experience with Austrian Airlines... We came back from Europe 5 days ago. We flew Austrian Airlines (Chicago-Vienna). Booked Economy, but wanted to upgrade to Business with miles. The answer was - NO. If we wanted to upgrade then we had to pay the full price for Business. The service and food were bad. The Economy cabin was much to be desire. We fly pretty often to Europe since we have family there and it was the worst experience so far. So Austrian Airlines is off our list for a long time.

As for Emirates Economy - I see that the answer is unanimous: Economy is "economy" either it's Emirates or any other airline. :)

Just from my recent experience with Austrian Airlines... We came back from Europe 5 days ago. We flew Austrian Airlines (Chicago-Vienna). Booked Economy, but wanted to upgrade to Business with miles. The answer was - NO. If we wanted to upgrade then we had to pay the full price for Business. The service and food were bad. The Economy cabin was much to be desire. We fly pretty often to Europe since we have family there and it was the worst experience so far. So Austrian Airlines is off our list for a long time.

As for Emirates Economy - I see that the answer is unanimous: Economy is "economy" either it's Emirates or any other airline. :)

Emirates has done a wonderful job in making sure first and business class are amazing, while making people believe economy class is as well ;)

So Austrian Airlines is off our list for a long time.

I think ignoring a business class option as the result of a poor economy class experience is a little short sighted myself.

Emirates has done a wonderful job in making sure first and business class are amazing, while making people believe economy class is as well ;)

That assessment seems reasonably accurate!

That assessment seems reasonably accurate!
There's one other thing that's rather individious about this, which anyone reading anyone else's comments needs to bear in mind.

For most people, even buying an economy ticket is a big deal. People don't like to be thought of as having made mistakes, let alone suckers. So someone who has specifically picked Emirates because they thought it was going to be a wonderful experience may not accurately report their experience afterwards. There can often be an element of ex post facto validation of their earlier choice.

It doesn't apply to everyone, of course - and there are some people who'll alsays moan about everything. But it does mean that glowing reviews of Emirates economy need to be taken with just a little care. There are far worse airlines out there, but some Emirates economy experiences (particularly on the 777) won't necessarily match those glowing reviews.

Unlesss you have Emirates points/miles you are going to be out of luck as they are not in the Start Alliance (As united is.) ...

FYI, UA is part of the Star Alliance, not the Start Alliance ;)

OP, I am a UA 1K and I can tell you that it is going to cost you miles and money to upgrade to business, if upgrades are even available. It's getting a lot harder to upgrade these days. If you chose UA (I would), then you should at least buy up to Economy Plus and if you really want to fly business, you should consider buying business class in the first place.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

OP, I am a UA 1K and I can tell you that it is going to cost you miles and money to upgrade to business, if upgrades are even available. It's getting a lot harder to upgrade these days. If you chose UA (I would), then you should at least buy up to Economy Plus and if you really want to fly business, you should consider buying business class in the first place.

Agree 100%. You chances to get an upgrade if not a 1k are slim and none. Even being 1k, which I am, you likely have less than 50 percent chance.

If flying business Emirates is the better. If Economy and you can buy up to E+ you will get a little more legroom on UA.

Have you flown businessfirst on UA transatlantic? I asked a poster on another thread, but didn't get a reply. Would welcome your comments/views if you've experienced this class of flying on the 757-200 and 737-700 & 800. Many thanks :).

Have you flown businessfirst on UA transatlantic? I asked a poster on another thread, but didn't get a reply. Would welcome your comments/views if you've experienced this class of flying on the 757-200 and 737-700 & 800. Many thanks :).

We flew UA BusinessFirst last November from ORD to IAD and then to FCO. We liked it a lot. At least I think it's much better than what I see and hear about AA Business. The seats were wide and very comfortable. The food was excellent. The service was very good. So no complaints whatsoever. If you need more details - please ask. :)

We flew UA BusinessFirst last November from ORD to IAD and then to FCO. We liked it a lot. At least I think it's much better than what I see and hear about AA Business. The seats were wide and very comfortable. The food was excellent. The service was very good. So no complaints whatsoever. If you need more details - please ask. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad to hear you had such a good experience :); puts my mind at rest as I was booking the flights for my DH's special birthday. Hence, I want a relaxing and pleasant start to our cruise vacation ;). Thanks again :).

I have found specific flights that will work well on the extremely long flight to Jakarta (CGK) Indonesia and the price is better than I expected but I can't book it yet.

On-line booking can you 1. Get a flight to SFO from IAD late afternoon with 10 hour layover (would go to hotel) then flight SFO to HKG (Hong Kong) the next morning then 13 hour layover (another hotel) then next morning fly to Jakarta on ANA or other Star Alliance member. 2. Can you upgrade to Economy Plus with United points? (at least on the United metal) 3. Can you do one part of the roundtrip open-jaw on award ticket and pay for the other legs of the journey. I am tripping all over my legs here. I want to wander on out in an old lady style taking my time and smelling the roses:) All of these legs can be a legal layover and the timing is such that there are no planes available to the next place leaving earlier. The on-line booking wants to insist on a Tokyo layover of 1 hour and 5 minutes or 2 hours and 12 mins. I just can't stand the thought of that many hours without bed rest and shower!

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Husband got an offer of 50,000 bonus miles for signing for United Credit Card. Anybody have experience with this? How does me the wife get a matching offer (we would have 2 persons on each card)? If we wanted to drop the card after the free year How much hassle? Credit rating is excellent and we are in the market to replace and older card with less benefits. Advice needed Thanks. (Then maybe I'll have enough points to go BC and won't have to worry about the things in the post just before this:D --2 cruises to pay for in the next 60 days!)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad to hear you had such a good experience; puts my mind at rest as I was booking the flights for my DH's special birthday. Hence, I want a relaxing and pleasant start to our cruise vacation. Thanks again.

I didn't take cabin pics but just a few pics of food served.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Husband got an offer of 50,000 bonus miles for signing for United Credit Card. Anybody have experience with this? How does me the wife get a matching offer (we would have 2 persons on each card)? If we wanted to drop the card after the free year How much hassle? Credit rating is excellent and we are in the market to replace and older card with less benefits. Advice needed Thanks. (Then maybe I'll have enough points to go BC and won't have to worry about the things in the post just before this:D --2 cruises to pay for in the next 60 days!)

I am probably the least experienced person to answer this question, but we did it once. My DH had an offer with 80,000 bonus miles. Cancelled the card at the end of the year (I kept mine and paid fees with miles). So it wasn't a problem to cancel. But even 80,000 miles wasn't enough to book BC. We booked EC, and then upgraded to BC with miles and additional $500 - which was cheaper than to buy BC for the full price.

Trouble T,

Thanks for posting the photos.....and real cutlery.....wonderful :D. I think UA have lounges in a couple of our departure airports, which is also a bonus :). Hopefully I've made the correct decision booking businessfirst; well I'll be more than happy with the ice cream and truffles :D.

Thanks again for all your comments, much appreciated ;).