Cruise lines with no tannoy announce

anniebea

They are very different. Celebrity has only one announcement each day heard in public areas, typically given by the captain who shares information about the current course, speed and weather conditions, and perhaps a bit about the next port of call. They never announce bingo, pool activities, sales, or any other announcements. The NCL that I know had many announcements heard in the public areas, ranging from whatever sale is going on at the moment, to stirring up interest in the latest line dance or pool side activity, to discount specials in the fee restaurants, etc, etc, etc. And that is really annoying.

NCL does not make announcements in the cabins (except for safety issues) unless you turn them on. The announcements don't bother me, but the extremely loud music on some ships (all cruise lines) is offensive to me.

I note the difference in your two posts. First one says in the staterooms and the next says in public areas. That makes quite a difference in the way the information is interpreted.

Edited by swedish weave

Most cruise lines (have not sailed them all) only have announcements in the public areas

In cabin announcement are usually muster drill & for emergencies

On our river cruise we were rudely awakened by the morning announcements until people complained

NCL does not make announcements in the cabins (except for safety issues) unless you turn them on. The announcements don't bother me, but the extremely loud music on some ships (all cruise lines) is offensive to me.

I note the difference in your two posts. First one says in the staterooms and the next says in public areas. That makes quite a difference in the way the information is interpreted.

In both posts I mention public areas. In post #22 I mention that safety announcements are the only ones you will hear in your staterooms, and go on to say "Other announcements will be heard only in public area." In post #25 I say: "Celebrity has only one announcement each day heard in public areas....They never announce bingo, pool activities, sales, or any other announcements."

Not sure what is inconsistent about that. :confused:

FYI: Is is a maritime regulation that all safety announcements be heard in all parts of the ships, including all staterooms, public areas, and crew areas. All cruise ships must follow those regulations to be insured.

Edited by boogs

In both posts I mention public areas. In post #22 I mention that safety announcements are the only ones you will hear in your staterooms, and go on to say "Other announcements will be heard only in public area." In post #25 I say: "Celebrity has only one announcement each day heard in public areas....They never announce bingo, pool activities, sales, or any other announcements."

Not sure what is inconsistent about that. :confused:

The impression I got was that you think NCL and Carnival do these differently than Celebrity. That is not the case as all the mainstream cruise lines handle these announcements in the same manner.

On my one and only Celebrity cruise a few years ago, we had announcements during the day. Have they stopped doing this ?

Edited by swedish weave

Ok, we will admit we are not experts on Celebrity, but we are Elite Plus with the line and regularly (at least once a year) cruise the line. We cannot recall ever (and I mean ever) being on any Celebrity ship where there was only a single CD announcement per day. Like most lines we usually get a morning announcement (between 9:30 and 10), a mid day announcement (between noon and 1) right after the Captain's spiel, and an afternoon announcement which seems to vary as to timing. If I am wrong, I guess my brain hears these annoying noises when they do not exist :)

Hank

The impression I got was that you think NCL and Carnival do these differently than Celebrity. That is not the case as all the mainstream cruise lines handle these announcements in the same manner.

On my one and only Celebrity cruise a few years ago, we had announcements during the day. Have they stopped doing this ?

Ok, we will admit we are not experts on Celebrity, but we are Elite Plus with the line and regularly (at least once a year) cruise the line. We cannot recall ever (and I mean ever) being on any Celebrity ship where there was only a single CD announcement per day. Like most lines we usually get a morning announcement (between 9:30 and 10), a mid day announcement (between noon and 1) right after the Captain's spiel, and an afternoon announcement which seems to vary as to timing. If I am wrong, I guess my brain hears these annoying noises when they do not exist :)

Hank

I don't focus on negatives, so I may have forgotten, but I do not remember ANY of my Celebrity cruises with more than just that noon announcement being made. Perhaps an announcement that the staterooms were available on embarkation day, or that the ship had been cleared for passengers to disembark at the current port, but certainly no bingo, sales, or promotional announcements, ever. And I've taken several cruises on Celebrity since 2004.

You are incorrect. You must be getting your cruises mixed up. I have cruised on most of the mass market cruise lines and Celebrity definitely is different than Carnival and NCL, with zero announcements for activities and promotions during the day. Yes, all cruise lines have at least one announcement about the current position and weather conditions, but Celebrity has no more than that one, while the others have dozens per day. You may choose to ignore that fact, but it still remains a fact, whether you believe it or not.

Edited by swsfrail

Hank

Your brain is not wrong, Hank. Celebrity always has more than one but not very many.

Princess and HAL also have very few announcements.

The absolute worst is Carnival... every 30 minutes or so.

LuLu

You are incorrect. You must be getting your cruises mixed up. I have cruised on most of the mass market cruise lines and Celebrity definitely is different than Carnival and NCL, with zero announcements for activities and promotions during the day. Yes, all cruise lines have at least one announcement about the current position and weather conditions, but Celebrity has no more than that one, while the others have dozens per day. You may choose to ignore that fact, but it still remains a fact, whether you believe it or not.

I am NOT confused. Others who post here confirm that Celebrity has more than one announcement per day (as I remembered).

So --- You are correct --- I don't believe what you posted about only one announcement per day.

Edited by swedish weave

I've been on Celebrity numerous times. They pride themselves on their once daily announcement at noon. The only other announcements they might do are for the muster drill or announcing its clear to go ashore. Celebrity does not do sales announcements like all the other mainstream lines. On a sea day, that is all you will hear...the noon announcement.

This just started maybe 4 or 5 years ago, so anyone cruising X before then wouldn't know.

But to lump Celebrity into the same category as NCL or CCL in this regard? LMAO!!!!

I've been on Celebrity numerous times. They pride themselves on their once daily announcement at noon. The only other announcements they might do are for the muster drill or announcing its clear to go ashore. Celebrity does not do sales announcements like all the other mainstream lines. On a sea day, that is all you will hear...the noon announcement.

This just started maybe 4 or 5 years ago, so anyone cruising X before then wouldn't know.

But to lump Celebrity into the same category as NCL or CCL in this regard? LMAO!!!!

I have sailed all three lines mentioned in your post, and the similarities far outweigh the differences. In my experience, all have had good food, good entertainment, good service and nice cabins.

I do not allow brand bias to cloud my judgment and enjoy all my cruises on all lines including Princess.

My preferences are NCL and Princess due to the more relaxed atmosphere and lack of pretense. I believe all mainstream cruise lines are leaning toward a less formal attitude to attract the large segment of the population who want to enjoy that type of cruise.

The announcements can be tuned out of your cabin on all lines I have cruised, and if I am in a public area, I ignore them just as I do some of the conversations going on around me.

Edited by swedish weave

On P and O, on a sea day, there is one announcement from the CD and a daily update from the bridge. On a port day, there is one announcement informing you that you can go ashore, and which decks to disembark from. On sailing, there is one about the sailaway party and the time we actually cast off. I was on Costa some years ago and there were constant announcements in about 7 different languages.

Ok, we will defer to your expertise. We only cruised Celebrity for 37 days in 2013 (only doing them for 14 days this year) so we have no clue about what we speak. But I sure wish your one a day announcement rule got through to the CDs on the Silhouette and Eclipse where they obviously did not see your post and totally ignored your thoughts :).

Hank

I have sailed all three lines mentioned in your post, and the similarities far outweigh the differences. In my experience, all have had good food, good entertainment, good service and nice cabins.

I do not allow brand bias to cloud my judgment and enjoy all my cruises on all lines including Princess.

My preferences are NCL and Princess due to the more relaxed atmosphere and lack of pretense. I believe all mainstream cruise lines are leaning toward a less formal attitude to attract the large segment of the population who want to enjoy that type of cruise.

The announcements can be tuned out of your cabin on all lines I have cruised, and if I am in a public area, I ignore them just as I do some of the conversations going on around me.

On that note, I'm also someone who is not married to 1 cruise line. I've cruised 5 major lines, 4 of those 5 more than once. Unless I'm getting paid, which I'm not, I don't believe in the concept of championing one brand.

But alas, this thread is about announcements, not all that other stuff.

On that note, I'm also someone who is not married to 1 cruise line. I've cruised 5 major lines, 4 of those 5 more than once. Unless I'm getting paid, which I'm not, I don't believe in the concept of championing one brand.

But alas, this thread is about announcements, not all that other stuff.

The following quote from your post is in conflict with your statement here.

Ok, we will defer to your expertise. We only cruised Celebrity for 37 days in 2013 (only doing them for 14 days this year) so we have no clue about what we speak. But I sure wish your one a day announcement rule got through to the CDs on the Silhouette and Eclipse where they obviously did not see your post and totally ignored your thoughts :).

Hank

Oh, come on. Seriously, is this really a topic to be a wise a$$ about? You stated your experiences and I stated mine. Nothing more to it. So calm down and cruise on. Ok?

Uh, no it does not conflict at all. Do you not see the 3 words "in this regard" in my post?

With regard to announcements...you know, the topic at hand here.

Oh, come on. Seriously, is this really a topic to be a wise a$$ about? You stated your experiences and I stated mine. Nothing more to it. So calm down and cruise on. Ok?

This obviously points out that different cruises on the same line can bring about different experiences and practices.

We can surmise that Celebrity, NCL, Princess, Carnival and the other mainstream cruise lines don't have firm practices in how they handle things on each of their ships and/or cruises.

Maybe that is why I like all of them and don't form opinions of one cruise line based on one or more experiences.

I see no conflict. A person can enjoy all three cruise lines for what they are, and still notice the differences in them. It's called "physical awareness", as opposed to "not having a clue". :rolleyes:

As far as I know, Celebrity is the only mass market cruise line that only does 1 daily announcement. Like sail7seas said, I do also seem to remember HAL not being overbearing with them either. If you sail lines like RCI, NCL, CCL or PCL, yeah, you'll get many more announcements. And I agree, the sales announcements are annoying.

Funny, we were on the Oasis in October (again in August!!!:D) but I never noticed any announcements...maybe we were just having too good a time....I know when we were on other RCI ships there was a volume control in the room to turn off any announcements..don't know if they still use those cuz it was 6 years between our last 2 cruises....

Funny, we were on the Oasis in October (again in August!!!:D) but I never noticed any announcements...maybe we were just having too good a time....I know when we were on other RCI ships there was a volume control in the room to turn off any announcements..don't know if they still use those cuz it was 6 years between our last 2 cruises....

There are no volume controls inside Celebrity staterooms. They aren't needed. The only announcement you will ever hear in your stateroom would be safety or disembarkation notices. Not even the once daily announcement by the captain is heard in the stateroom. And certainly no promotional or activity announcements, ever. However, you can hear all public announcements in your stateroom if you wish by dialing in the appropriate channel on your TV.

I am planning a second cruise, having taken my first one to the Norwegian Fjord with Celebrity last year. One thing I liked about the Celebrity Cruise was that it was a very relaxing experience and there were no on board announcement (expect of course those for safety on arrival and on departure).

Can anyone provide information about which other cruise lines Do Not have on-board tannoy. I am hoping to go with a friend who went on a Baltic cruise also last year with Royal Caribbean (I think) and she found the o- board tannoys announcements very annoying and its kind of put her off going again

Azamara Club Cruises does not broadcast any announcements other than safety and on arrival/departure in ports.

I too dislike very much the ongoing announcements on the larger lines ... enough of Bingo, Spa, Belly Flop Contests, Shopping, Shopping, Shopping ... yes, very annoying.

On P and O, on a sea day, there is one announcement from the CD and a daily update from the bridge. On a port day, there is one announcement informing you that you can go ashore, and which decks to disembark from. On sailing, there is one about the sailaway party and the time we actually cast off. I was on Costa some years ago and there were constant announcements in about 7 different languages.

Yes, that has been our experience on several P&O cruises- very few announcements. It was very different when we recently tried RCI, and I gave up listening because there were so many, mainly about entertainment.