Am I expecting too much?

ghstudio

From the UK web site today:

CLASSIC ALCOHOLIC PACKAGE

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, wines up to $9.00 per glass and spirits and cocktails $8 per glass. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

From the US web site today:

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

I thought the classic drink debacle was resolved with "celebrity cruises" post on 5/23. I don't really want to reopen that whole mess, but is it too much to expect the US web site to be updated with what I, and obviously "celebrity cruises" believe is the correct information....heck it's just text. How hard can it be to put in the correct text?

Apparently, at Celebrity, is nearly impossible.

There is a word spelled incorrectly on the webpage advertising the President's Cruise. It's been pointed out to Celebrity numerous times. It never changes.

A misspelled word isn't as important as the error on the price of drinks offered in the packages, I know, but it's a symptom of the systemic problem Celebrity has with communication.

Making the change is easy. It's getting past all the approvals and red tape to move it into production that is the time consuming part. I use to be a programmer and the audit group was always watching over everybody's shoulder.

Making the change is easy. It's getting past all the approvals and red tape to move it into production that is the time consuming part. I use to be a programmer and the audit group was always watching over everybody's shoulder.

Agree. The average person has no idea what it takes to make changes to a working website that must serve different nationalities with different expectations, government rules, and corporate requirements. There is much more effort needed than simply changing a word here and there. The OP has a history of posting negative comments and starting negative threads, and obviously has zero idea how the world outside his small bubble of opinion actually functions. Ignorance is bliss when the blame game is being played.

Edited by boogs

Agree. The average person has no idea what it takes to make changes to a working website that must serve different nationalities with different expectations, government rules, and corporate requirements. There is much more effort needed than simply changing a word here and there. The OP has a history of posting negative comments and starting negative threads, and obviously has zero idea how the world outside his small bubble of opinion actually functions. Ignorance is bliss when the blame game is being played.

that's only true if they are running on an old platform that was custom built or has not been kept up to date. Any site using a modern CMS is very easy for the end business user to enter new content, route for approval and push live across multiple URLs and even server farms at different locations. I have lived in both worlds and the difference in ability to manage a website with a modern CMS is night and day vs. legacy systems... make me think one of they biggest challenges is lack of investment in the proper web platforms!

Agree. The average person has no idea what it takes to make changes to a working website that must serve different nationalities with different expectations, government rules, and corporate requirements. Ignorance is bliss when the blame game is being played.

Really......... two different Nationalities one English /UK the other American both speak the same language though as a Canadian one could take issue with that statement.

They both have the same package and are entitled to the same benefits, how hard is it to copy and paste or proof read the site?

It is embarrassing to X in displaying the incompetence of their staff and management in not being able to respond.

"The average person has no idea what it takes to make changes to a working website that must serve different nationalities with different expectations, government rules, and corporate requirements"

True enough but I know of no government or nationality that thinks that spelling mistakes are acceptable (see President's Cruise page). Nor one that believes that Rangoon is in Thailand (look at the map accompanying Celebrity Century Feb. 8, 2015 cruise). Or that European cruises visit Alaska (earlier threads noted this blunder). Celebrity's website has out-and-out mistakes throughout. These shouldn't take that much corporate thought to get fixed.

Somehow they managed to add information about the Gastropub, a new offering. Why can't they fix existing mistakes?

that's only true if they are running on an old platform that was custom built or has not been kept up to date. Any site using a modern CMS is very easy for the end business user to enter new content, route for approval and push live across multiple URLs and even server farms at different locations. I have lived in both worlds and the difference in ability to manage a website with a modern CMS is night and day vs. legacy systems... make me think one of they biggest challenges is lack of investment in the proper web platforms!

x2 The prevailing standard for ecommerce is websites that function properly with accurate information.

We have an April 2015 TA booked, looking at shore excursions on the "my celebrity" section of their web site, I see we can visit old town San Juan PR, or explore the rain forest. Then the next day we will be in Tenerife, Canary Islands. It is very hard to trust anything you read on their web site or what their sales agents might tell you. But here we are, we still cruise Celebrity, I am not sure what that means.

Actually, I was responsible for a major web site for a number of years so I am extremely aware of the signoffs,etc that are required....but irrespective of that, if the wording is correct on the UK site, then it's obviously OK with all those approval folks, isn't it? Hopefully, as Celebrity Cruises has said, it will be fixed quickly.

Why are you even looking let alone comparing web sites? As we all know whatever is on the web site is not always the truth. if you have the package just go enjoy it. If they don't have what you want ONCE you get on the ship upgrade or live with it.

Duane

I know nothing about designing/maintaining websites. But I spend a LOT of time on various sites, both for work and entertainment. I have never seen a site with as many issues, continuing for years, as on the X website. I love the cruises so I go with it, but I have seen as many as three different prices for the same cabin on the same page--seriously!

I guess the cruises must all be sailing at full capacity, because until the website issues start affecting the bottom line, we probably won't see any significant improvement.

To wit: years ago I was the manager of a hospital billing office. They changed computer systems, and the bills were all junk--just pages and pages of nonsense, and totally unusable to send to insurance companies. We complained and complained that there was a major issue, to no avail. Two months later, when revenue suddenly dropped to nothing--THEN we got something done.

It seems in this day and age that a well functioning website is critical to a successful business. It's hard to imagine that competent programmers cannot be found. As a shareholder, this is very concerning to me.

Apparently, at Celebrity, is nearly impossible.

There is a word spelled incorrectly on the webpage advertising the President's Cruise. It's been pointed out to Celebrity numerous times. It never changes.

A misspelled word isn't as important as the error on the price of drinks offered in the packages, I know, but it's a symptom of the systemic problem Celebrity has with communication.

If that's the way you feel, then I suggest you take another cruise line. I am so tired of all the complainers, why don't you just enjoy life as it is, apparently with all the cruises you have taken, you haven't had it so bad.

Obviously, there are people who are only happy when they are complaining. Many of them unfortunately have found their way to Cruise Critic. I recognize some of these posters on various threads - at least two on this thread alone - who rarely post anything positive, with complaints seeming the only reason they post here. What a waste of a life to be always complaining. Pretty sad indeed.

I have been on many cruises. None of them have been perfect, all have had at least one thing that has been disappointing. Fortunately, I don't have this need to obsess about those disappointments and then post complaints about them on Cruise Critic. I am well beyond bitching about every little thing that I encounter, and much rather remember the good things I have experienced. I'd rather live my life a happy person than a grumpy old fart like some people on these threads appear to be.

I used to read Cruise Critic often, at least several times a day. I am beginning to drift away because of the constant whining going on lately. What used to be a valuable tool to learn from others and to share information has lately been turned into a vehicle for people to complain about everything. It is no longer as valuable as it used to be, now ruined by the complainers. That's a real shame.

Edited by boogs

There are people who complain and then the other people who try to justify or knock the people who have valid concerns. Why can't people on this forum let the powers to be answer the concerns? Who are we to justify a cruise line when it is putting out 'GARBAGE-In-CARGAGE Out?'

I have noticed over the past, that those posters who have the highest number of postings, seems to be the total authority on what others should post/complain/or comment about.

This is a forum for all and not only for you, whoever you are, you know who you are. If you don't like someones posting, pass it by, unless you have the facts such as you experienced that specific concern.

This person posted a valid concern-NOT A COMPLAINT. JMHO!

Now I expect to be flamed by the ...........

Edited by Oxo

There are people who complain and then the other people who try to justify or knock the people who have valid concerns. Why can't people on this forum let the powers to be answer the concerns? Who are we to justify a cruise line when it is putting out 'GARBAGE-In-CARGAGE Out?'

I have noticed over the past, that those posters who have the highest number of postings, seems to be the total authority on what others should post/complain/or comment about.

This is a forum for all and not only for you, whoever you are, you know who you are. If you don't like someones posting, pass it by, unless you have the facts such as you experienced that specific concern.

This person posted a valid concern-NOT A COMPLAINT. JMHO!

Now I expect to be flamed by the ...........

Well said and so true, just look at the comment string from the previous comment. I do think that Celebrity has fixed the problem, website is down again. I think their teory is if you cannot not see it it must be fixed.

Edited by emuller1
want to add to it

No, you are not expecting too much!

If I were looking to take my first cruise and found all the problems on Celebrity's website that can't seem to ever get fixed, I would be looking at other cruise lines. We currently have a 5 night Alaska cruise tour and southbound cruise booked and the reservation shows us in Anchorage for 5 nights! This has been screwed up for 3 days. IMHO I think Princess has the best web site, and we've never been on Princess. No wonder loyal Celebrity customers are not happy.

Obviously, there are people who are only happy when they are complaining. Many of them unfortunately have found their way to Cruise Critic. I recognize some of these posters on various threads - at least two on this thread alone - who rarely post anything positive, with complaints seeming the only reason they post here. What a waste of a life to be always complaining. Pretty sad indeed.

I have been on many cruises. None of them have been perfect, all have had at least one thing that has been disappointing. Fortunately, I don't have this need to obsess about those disappointments and then post complaints about them on Cruise Critic. I am well beyond bitching about every little thing that I encounter, and much rather remember the good things I have experienced. I'd rather live my life a happy person than a grumpy old fart like some people on these threads appear to be.

I used to read Cruise Critic often, at least several times a day. I am beginning to drift away because of the constant whining going on lately. What used to be a valuable tool to learn from others and to share information has lately been turned into a vehicle for people to complain about everything. It is no longer as valuable as it used to be, now ruined by the complainers. That's a real shame.

I don't think anyone is going to care if you read cruise critic or not.