Life in a standard cabin on Viking long ship

wwinfl91

Viking is advertising a 15 day Grand European cruise in July for $3999 including airfare. The only cabins available at this price are Cat E on the main deck. These are 150 sq ft cabins with a high single window. We have never done a river cruise but have done over 30 ocean cruises. The price being offered is the best I have ever seen in the last few years but the location and small size of the cabin worry us. But since the cruise stops at a different port every day and it looks like there are a lot public spaces that we could go to view and take pictures of the passing scenery.

Can I get some opinions from others who have sailed on Viking and had this type of cabin on how happy we will be if we buy this cruise at a great bargain price.

Thanks for any help and assistance you can give us.

Have a great next cruise.

I wish I could say that we were in that type stateroom but we weren't. Our friends were. They were pleased with it. It was on the Grand European tour as well. I personally would grab that deal. If we weren't dealing with cancer in this house right now, we would snatch that up and go again. The longships have plenty of seating area to view. I can give you our customer number and it will save you 100.00 per person more. Send me a private message here if you are interested.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

We recently cruised on a longship and had a French balcony cabin. These cabins are only 135 square feet. In retrospect, I think that I would have preferred a 150 square foot cabin on the bottom deck.

If you've read many comments and reviews here, you'll know that rafting is becoming more common every year, so your balcony or French balcony cabin is likely to be looking right into a cabin on another ship any time you're in port.

FuelScience

We also have done 3 Viking cruises in the lower deck level and have been very happy. You are really not in your room much. Between eating, excursions, socializing, getting a cup of tea and cookie, sitting in the lounge reading, attending an evening program, and viewing the scenery from the lounge as you sail...whew, you hardly have time to even sleep in there!

I was on Viking Odin last March in cabin 115 and it was fine as you are really only in there to sleep.

In November I was on Viking Helvetia in a French balcony cabin as they upgraded us. It was nice but we never sat in the cabin in the daytime.

Thanks for all the replies. I believe we are going to pull the trigger and call and book one of the cruises. As I said above this will be our first river cruise so hopefully we will enjoy it as much as we do ocean cruising.

One other question, can you buy a bottle of wine when you are ashore and then bring it back and drink it on the ship?

Thanks again.

I would tell you to go for it. You are only in the room to sleep. Been on 5 river cruises. 4 of them at the bottom of the boat and 1 where we had a balcony. I'd go back for the lower deck, save the money for the upgrade and use it for gifts, drinks at the bar or tips. Your choice but take the lower price. Willard

Very, very interesting. Two of my posts are missing. I will try again.

So glad you are making reservations. The price alone is a no brainer! Yes, you can bring alcohol on the ship and I believe it is even stated on the website in case that makes you feel better. No questions asked. River cruising is so relaxed with those kinds of things.

Happy Cruising. :)

Edited by jiminyC_fan

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped us make the decision to book the cruise. We will be flying to Prague on Jul 22 getting there on the 23rd and staying 3 days before going to Budapest on the 26th to board our Longship for the 15 day cruise to Amsterdam. Hopefully we will enjoy river cruising as much as we have ocean cruising.

Glad to hear bringing wine onboard is allowed. We enjoy good wine and will be going thru some fantastic wine country.

I hope you'll post a review when you return. We're doing Budapest to Amsterdam Aug. 28 on the Sky. Also our first European river cruise after many ocean cruises. Will enjoy hearing your comments.

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped us make the decision to book the cruise. We will be flying to Prague on Jul 22 getting there on the 23rd and staying 3 days before going to Budapest on the 26th to board our Longship for the 15 day cruise to Amsterdam. Hopefully we will enjoy river cruising as much as we have ocean cruising.

Glad to hear bringing wine onboard is allowed. We enjoy good wine and will be going thru some fantastic wine country.

Not only can you bring it to your cabin, you can also bring it to dinner (no corkage fee, either). We had a winery visit with Viking in northern Germany and bought a bottle to have at dinner. Viking was even nice enough to transport it back to the ship for us so we didn't have to carry it around for the rest of the tour.

My post disappeared as well... :confused:

We cruised Aquarium class with Viking last April - and were very happy with the room. We enjoy the window ledge with the smaller window - as we can wash "smalls" and put them up there to dry!!

One thing about the Viking Longships - the staircase to the lower level is the "best" of any ships we have been on. The staircases are wide with sold hand rails... and they are straight down. Some have a curve in the middle, and the steps tend to be small that way (leading to increased risk of falling...).

Now - you just have to wait!!! At least there are lots of posts here to help with your planning.... And the time will fly by.

Fran

Reminder of Cruise Critic Guidelines:

The bottom line is: an ad is an ad. So, please no posting of "looking for roommate" type posts, tour shares (except in ROLL CALL threads), giveaways, ebay links, coupon books, coffee cards, etc. etc.

This includes unsolicited offers of cruise referrals.

Reminder of Cruise Critic Guidelines:

The bottom line is: an ad is an ad. So, please no posting of "looking for roommate" type posts, tour shares (except in ROLL CALL threads), giveaways, ebay links, coupon books, coffee cards, etc. etc.

This includes unsolicited offers of cruise referrals.

Can't find the "Like" button.

Thanks for the offering of the cruise referral but I had a friend who was on a Viking cruise last year who I used.

They have already assigned our flights and I have already went out and picked out different seats. We like to sit in a row of 2 seats and several different models of planes have a couple of rows at the back of the plane and we were able to get them on both TA flights.

I wasn't totally unhappy with the seats they assigned us but it was worth some dollars to get the ones we wanted. The flights are on a BA/AA co-shared flight which are airlines we fly a lot since we fly out of DFW for most of our trips.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and encouraged us to grab the deal while it was available.

Thanks for asking this question, we took advantage of this offer and sail 24 June, but are headed Amsterdam to Budapest. This is our first cruise, so I wish the free airfare offer had been on a 10 day trip. This one is so long, and starting on a Tuesday, so I couldn't take extra vacation time to spend in ams or Budapest.

Also good to hear that this is considered a good deal. We're taking our 2 oldest daughters for college graduation trips. Very anxious after spending that much money.

Edited by ural guy
spelling

I haven't seen a better deal on a river cruise which was why we jumped in and booked. I'm glad you were also able to take advantage of the deal and were able to take your daughters. Spent time on the boards and you will find a lot of useful info. There is a link in the roll call board that I will find and post here that does a day by day coverage of the cruise that has really good info.

Talk at you later.

Thanks for asking this question, we took advantage of this offer and sail 24 June, but are headed Amsterdam to Budapest. This is our first cruise, so I wish the free airfare offer had been on a 10 day trip. This one is so long, and starting on a Tuesday, so I couldn't take extra vacation time to spend in ams or Budapest.

Also good to hear that this is considered a good deal. We're taking our 2 oldest daughters for college graduation trips. Very anxious after spending that much money.

We are booked on same trip (6/24 AMS to Budapest), also first river cruise. See you in two weeks.

That is a great price. We took the same trip a few years ago and it was magnificent!! We were in the D category and it was perfectly fine. We were out of the room so much the small size of it was unimportant!! Have a lovely trip. You'll love it.