I don't wanna be a pier runner!

Whimsy88

Not our first cruise, but it has been a couple of years and this is our first Eastern Caribbean. Is there a difference between port time/ship time? We are already on Eastern time, so do we need to make any adjustments before our shore excursions?

There can be differences between ship time and local time. Just be sure your watch agrees with the ship and use it to verify the time. DO NOT use your cell phone as they can automatically switch the time when you enter another time zone

It is not that difficult.

Check the ships time against your watch as you are disembarking...they usually have a clock in plain view.

Plan to be back at least an hour early-that way you have some wriggle room.

The time used in any port of call that is different from the departure port is always up to the Captain and can vary from cruise to cruise. As mentioned, set a watch to ship time at every port to be sure you are on the correct time.

That being said, if the time is different, the ships clocks will reflect that, there will be announcements made indicating that, there will be published warnings about the time change in the ship's daily activities print outs, it will be shown in a placard as you disembark (along with required reboarding time) and crew will be at the door to announce the times to be sure. It will be virtually impossible not to be aware of the correct time to follow.

Additionally, ship sponsored tours will be coordinated with ship time and should there be a delay in returning with one of those, the Captain will do all he can to delay departure to allow for your re-boarding. Independent tours will also understand the possibility of ship time differing from local time and typically will arrange their pick up and drop off accordingly. However, with independents or self initiated tours or activities, you are completely on your own if not back in time.

All that being said, there has usually been at least one pier runner providing our entertainment at just about every port of call on just about every cruise we've been on! :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It is not that difficult.

Check the ships time against your watch as you are disembarking...they usually have a clock in plain view.

Plan to be back at least an hour early-that way you have some wriggle room.

True ... just make sure your watch is on the Ship's Time.

If you're really worried, take an excursion offered through the ship.

Always carry the name and number of the ship's agent in port.

LuLu

I've always heard that when you board the ship, the ship's clock is cruise time:), in other words, you will be moving east, but don't change your watch. Use watch not cell phone. Have fun!

Unless you're moving west, south or north. And our last three cruises (LA to Hawaii, RT, we've had three time changes going to Hawaii and three returning to the west coast.

For the OP, go by the time on the ship's clock. Whenever the clock is changed, there will be a notation in the daily newsletter. Most of the time, we've received a little note card on the pillow that night to remind us to change our watches.

All that being said, there has usually been at least one pier runner providing our entertainment at just about every port of call on just about every cruise we've been on! :D

Exactly! No offense, but I do not want to be the source of the ship's entertainment!:p

I will keep an eye on the ship's clock. No worries about the cell - we are locking ours in the car and not even bringing them on the ship!:D Thanks to all.

I suggest 2 watches, :-) as we had a near miss on St. Maarten a couple years ago. My DH's watch was slow and we didn't realize it. Had it stopped we would have realized it, but it was still running, just slow. We were a little nervous when we were the only ones on the water taxi, except for a lady on Oceana who was sailing at 11pm that night. We ran the pier and got on board at 4:50 pm, 5 minutes late and 10 minutes before sail away. We thought we had another hours. We were the last ones on board and they pulled the gangway behind my DH. We never take chances. We would be the last ones expected to do the pier sprint :-). TWO watches for us from now on. We leave plenty of time to have a coconut smoothie near the pier.