Thank you to those who "cruised" on June 6, 1944

We visited the Normandy Beaches and the Bayeaux tapestry on our transatlantic a couple of months ago. And we visited the Arizona Memorial and the Punchbowl in Hawaii a few years ago.

At the Omaha cemetery we could still walk among the headstones. Sadly, at the Punchbowl, we couldn't even stop the vehicle due to vandalism.

Still, at the Cemetery in France, it's quite moving seeing those headstones stretch almost to the horizon with the sea beyond.

Great thread!

Normandy is on my bucket list. My uncle was in the second wave. He never talked about that day even though he eventually told some stories about the rest of his time in Europe. Right after he passed away last year they found a plain wooden box containing A LOT of medals and ribbons. A cousin started researching with the help of friends in the military. Some of the medals were the result of significant events (upgrades and downgrades from the ones he was nominated for). One of the things we found out was that the old "football" injuries that caused him problems from time to time were actually the result of him earning 3 Purple Hearts.

Everything was put in a shadow box (except the research results...put in a small binder) and given to his oldest sone (a Navy vet of Viet Nam).

Those men were not only brave...they were humble. Many of them do not want to be called a hero.

Great thread!

Normandy is on my bucket list. My uncle was in the second wave. He never talked about that day even though he eventually told some stories about the rest of his time in Europe. Right after he passed away last year they found a plain wooden box containing A LOT of medals and ribbons. A cousin started researching with the help of friends in the military. Some of the medals were the result of significant events (upgrades and downgrades from the ones he was nominated for). One of the things we found out was that the old "football" injuries that caused him problems from time to time were actually the result of him earning 3 Purple Hearts.

Everything was put in a shadow box (except the research results...put in a small binder) and given to his oldest sone (a Navy vet of Viet Nam).

Those men were not only brave...they were humble. Many of them do not want to be called a hero.

Thank you for sharing your Uncle's story. Very touching.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Some pics of our trip is 2007 - will be repeating the trip in 5 weeks time.

St. Mere Eglise Church -American Private John Steele parachuted in during the night before the June 6 beach landings. His parachute got caught on the church. The town square was full of Germans, but they did not see Pvt Steele - he survived the war. They maintain a dummy on the church to this day to commemorate the events of that day

DSC_0087_zps67e180f9.jpg

My son, in 2007 - he plays the pipes, and wanted to play Amazing Grace in the American Cemetery. With permission from the Cemetery caretakers, he played that somber tune

DSC_0137_zpsb47349d9.jpg

Seventy years ago I was a nine year old kid living in England. I clearly remember waking up that morning and listening to the commentary of the invasion. A few years ago we visited Normandy and I got to walk on four of the five beaches and see the remains of Mulberry B. Prior to the visit, I read as much as I could about the invasion and the subsequent Battle for Normandy. I was a walking encyclopedia on D-Day, but nothing could prepare you for visiting the American Cemetery at Coleville with it's 8000+ graves. All gave some, but some gave all. Allied forces, American, British and Canadians all paid an enormous price, but it should be remembered that the nation that paid the highest price were the French. In the Battle for Normandy they lost over 31,000 dead mostly civilians, killed by allied bombing or executed by the Germans for aiding the allies. The memorial in Normandy today will be the last official memorial and in the UK only 650 D-Day veterans survive.

The invasion was an incredible feat, the bravery, the planning and the unbelievable logistics, but I think what made it possible then and impossible today was the leadership from the very top.

Churchill-Cameron

De Gaulle-Hollande

FDR-Obama

Are you visiting on a shore excursion during the cruise or a pre/post cruise augmentation? . . .

But if the shore excursion is all the time you have, it is still worth it. As with any shore excursion, pick two or three things you want to see and don't sweat what you are missing. I would suggest Pointe Du Hoc and the American Military Cemetery [combined with Omaha Beach] may be all you have time for -- and I think our group was unanimous that Pointe Du Hoc was the highlight of our trip. But the Cemetery alone is worth the effort. Honestly, the exhibits at the Cemetery may be one of the best museums we saw.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise and whatever time you can spend in Normandy -- you know what they say about those who forget history.

Yes--ours is an independent shore excursion. We dock in Le Harve. We are booked with a private tour that takes 9-10 hrs leaving at 8 am. [we are docked 7 am until 9 pm so no worries about getting back to the ship] Our tour is limited to 8 passengers. We will not see everything. But, I feel it will be an excellent tour.

Beautiful post.

Here is to my Dad who was in the Army but served on the USS Catoctin as a cryptographer, to my father-in-law who served in the Army and received the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts, and to my uncle, my mother's brother, who gave his life in the Battle of the Bulge.

May we sail the seas joyfully and freely in their memory.

Although my father came a little too late for Normandy, he served with distinction in Korea with 11th Airborne.

I'll never forget my first viewing of Saving Private Ryan. A man and his daughter came in and sat next to me, he was wearing a Normandy Veteran hat. She said it was his first movie in years but wanted to see this one. After about ten minutes of the landing scene, they got up and left. It was too much for him to see and experience again.

We all owe so much to the men and women that sacrificed so much in WWII, and everyday in our Armed Forces. God bless them all.

I remember my own father sharing stories of WWII

I am so glad I took the time to listen.

My dad along with his 3 brothers all served proudly.

My Uncle was awarded a Purple Heart.

May all the men who served and are no longer with us, rest in Peace.

Thank You

Sea Ya

Amen ! My Dad was a WWII vet also. He always wondered why he survived and others didn't .We are blessed to have had this generation stand up for us !

Great thread! My father served with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, comprised of Japanese-Americans from Hawaii and the mainland US. Dad's company rescued the town of Bruyeres in France, and to this day a Hawaiian flag flies in the town square!

Lei