Will they let you back on the ship?

Just curious and hope I never personally find out, but we will be doing a Mediterranean cruise in Sept and wondered if you would miss the ship and you took a train or whatever to the next port would you be let on at that point or are you off for the rest of the cruise?

Just curious and hope I never personally find out, but we will be doing a Mediterranean cruise in Sept and wondered if you would miss the ship and you took a train or whatever to the next port would you be let on at that point or are you off for the rest of the cruise?

Sure, they would let you on. However, you want to be sure to let the ship know your plans. They best way to contact the ship is via their agent. The agent is always listed on the Compass for that day you're getting off the ship, so be sure to bring the Compass with you.

Don't forget your passport..... you may be heading to a whole different country if you are ship chasing.... at your own expense....

Not to open a can of worms but a while back there was a big controversy on CC whether to take your actual passport ashore or just a copy or just your sea card.

This is the reason we ALWAYS take our original passports anytime we are out of the United States whether we are in Bermuda or Russia.

We were talking to a ships officer on the Jewell in April he told us to have a copy a leave the original in the safe. If we would be left they will take your passport out of the safe and leave it at the port. He said you wouldn't believe how many people come to embark on the ship and have had their passport stolen before sailing needless to say they will not be cruising! He seemed to believe the less you have it on you in public the safer it will be. Hopefully this won't happen just wanted to have an idea what we could do if necessary

Edited by tidygirl

We were talking to a ships officer on the Jewell in April he told us to have a copy a leave the original in the safe. If we would be left they will take your passport out of the safe and leave it at the port. He said you wouldn't believe how many people come to embark on the ship and have had their passport stolen before sailing needless to say they will not be cruising! He seemed to believe the less you have it on you in public the safer it will be. Hopefully this won't happen just wanted to have an idea what we could do if necessary

How exactly does this work? When do they leave it at the port? Which port - the one you are at or the next one? How long does this take? I've seen the pier runners trying to get back to the ship before it leaves without them. Are they considered "missing the boat" and their passports are waiting for them at the port?

Sorry, I'm just not getting something here.

How exactly does this work? When do they leave it at the port? Which port - the one you are at or the next one? How long does this take? I've seen the pier runners trying to get back to the ship before it leaves without them. Are they considered "missing the boat" and their passports are waiting for them at the port?

Good question!

And if you left your passport in a jacket pocket, a night table drawer, a purse or somewhere else in your stateroom other than in your safe, how extensive a search will they make, or will they assume that since it is not in the safe, you obviously have it with you? If you are not back onboard by the time the ship is due to sail and you have not contacted them or the ship's agent, what makes you believe that when you eventually arrive at the pier, your passport and other valuables will be waiting for you. The chances of that happening seem as slight as the likelihood that you can't protect your passport when it is on your body. Somehow I doubt that I would feel better knowing that my passport is safely onboard the ship while I am stranded in port without it.

I'm not sure how it works outside Europe. As far as I know all countries have a credit card sized identification card next to the passport. I always use both when I am on vacation. The passport goes into the room safe. And the Identification Card is going onto the excursion.

I 'know that I can't use the identification card to enter non European countries. But I still can use it to board a airplane and I can also enter my country of citizenship with it.

Edited by AntiCat

How many millions of people do land based travel, with their passports, and somehow manage to keep possession of them? For some reason cruise passenger have this sense that a passport needs to be kept locked up and guarded like a bar of gold in Fort Knox because everyone is after it. Do any other travelers, other that cruisers, even discuss this subject?

Over the years I've done a lot of traveling, with my passport, and somehow it always ends up back home with me.

How many millions of people do land based travel, with their passports, and somehow manage to keep possession of them? For some reason cruise passenger have this sense that a passport needs to be kept locked up and guarded like a bar of gold in Fort Knox because everyone is after it. Do any other travelers, other that cruisers, even discuss this subject?

Over the years I've done a lot of traveling, with my passport, and somehow it always ends up back home with me.

agreed, what is the point of having it , if when you need it , it is locked away onboard. i always take mine to ports you never know.

Susie your better with a Passport and DL as form of ID. As i stated when re entering the Pier from a foreign Port such as Australia, you better have a DL & passport handy to show the security getting on your bus. The 5 taken off had to verify where they were from etc, not sure as I have never had it happen.

thats the spot where the hotel safe used to be

safe.jpg

It disapared one evening while we were having dinner (with out passports).

The passport is actually something that is easy replicable if you are at home but it is very complicate to get it replaced if you are abroad.

When I sailed Royal Caribbean in Europe they took my American passport and held it for the duration of the cruise. I have never had that happen on sailings out of the US but assumed it must be common when you are a non-citizen of the port you sail from. Given that, this seems moot... I wasn't carrying my passport on any port calls.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

safe.jpg

The passport is actually something that is easy replicable if you are at home but it is very complicate to get it replaced if you are abroad.

Now that was funny!:D:D:D

safe.jpg

they stole your whole safe on board?

they stole your whole safe on board?

no. it was a bungalow of a large hotel complex.

Now that was funny!:D:D:D

it wasn't to bad. we felt like bonnie and clyde driving home ~800km without any paperwork. we crossed the border and hoped no one would ask for paperwork and we were lucky.

Edited by AntiCat

I agree that locking up your passport doesn't make sense when you leave the ship. We have done land and sea travel all over the world and always take the original with us. We do make copies and Email them to each other before we leave and I have an on line "cloud" back up where I can also get it.

I really find it hard to believe that the ships crew would search my cabin, find my passport, and leave it with the port agent if I missed the ship. As somebody pointed out the port agent is listed in the ships paper each day and there are several places they remind you that is the POC if you need help in port or get left behind. I am sure the port agent would be expecting or looking for you if you missed the ship.

When I sailed Royal Caribbean in Europe they took my American passport and held it for the duration of the cruise.

In 2003 Royal Caribbean collected our passports on a cruise out of Puerto Rico (adventure of the seas)

The passport is usually left with the port agent.

Edited by clarea

In 2003 Royal Caribbean collected our passports on a cruise out of Puerto Rico (adventure of the seas)

Yeah, I was googling this and consensus seems to be they collect and hold them out of any location where you do not have citizenship. Non-US citizens have them held on cruises out of US ports, for example. I'm surprised they did out of PR since thats a US territory but I can see where maybe it's murky.