Aft cabins - good or bad? Advice please

Jo and Rob

There is something wonderful about sitting in a restaurant and watching the wake of the sea. My question is does this mean that aft cabins are prize locations and get booked first or are there reasons why they are not such a great location as I might think?

Many consider them to be the best on this ship, including me. We had always booked mid-ship but finally tried aft this year. We were lucky enough to score a huge balcony which, coupled with the view and no wind, made it my favorite spot on the ship!! Sailing aft again in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have never had the privilege of trying an aft cabin yet. The balcony area will be larger of course and it provides a unique view. Many, rave about them and the reduced wind. The only negatives I have heard from CC and friends we know who sailed in them were direct sunlight all day which made their cabin hot, and some who say they got soot rained down on them from the stacks.

We do when the price is right.

On M class ships they are very convient to elevators and thus to everything.

On S class ships much more exercise to elevators and to everything.

The best view on ship other than Tuscan on S class ships.

Had an aft for the last couple of cruises, plus the next one!

As others say, you might get a bigger balcony. However it might be overlooked from above. You might also find soot on it too. Oily soot that doesn't just wipe off.

However, you might find that you get some really nice views, particularly when under way. And you probably won't get much traffic passing your stateroom door.

You might find a bit more up-and-down motion and a bit more propeller vibration that if you were mid-ships though.

We have tried forward, mid-ships and aft. We were in an aft suite on the silhouette recently and loved it. Our suite was on the corner so you got a good view and a lot larger balcony. I have read that some people complain about engine rumble in aft cabins, but I can't say we had any issue. We were on Deck 10, but I could understand rumble perhaps being more of a problem on lower decks.

We had our 1st aft - a corner S1 on Eclipse in Feb. The corners while having very large balconies are windy IMO. The view is beyond description. We've just book again and this time we will go for a C1 not on a corner. I'm addicted!

Edited by Jane2357

There is something wonderful about sitting in a restaurant and watching the wake of the sea. My question is does this mean that aft cabins are prize locations and get booked first or are there reasons why they are not such a great location as I might think?

Depends on which class of ship you are considering.

S Class ships aft cabin balconies much more open to the elements. Much, much further away from the nearest elevator, which is mid-ship.

M Class ships aft cabin balconies much larger and have at least half of the balcony covered. Plus, there are aft elevators, so you do not have to walk half the ship to get to one.

Edited by gimletgal

My DH and I love our aft cabins. Lots of quiet since theres less foot traffic. Much larger balconies. Fabulous and soothing views of the wake. And an added bonus, because its all the way in the back of the ship you get all the exercise you need!! Well, almost all you need!! If you get a chance give them a try. You might never want to sail any other way!! Vickie

Absolutely love the aft cabins on M-class ships. Balcony is huge with both shade and sun. Great big dining table and chairs plus lounge chairs. Close to rear elevators.......perfect! We did not have any problems with soot on Deck 8.

We have never wished to have an aft on the S-class ships because of small balconies, easily viewed from higher decks so privacy is lacking, reports of soot problems from people who've stated in them, and no rear elevators so long walks to get anywhere.

Aft cabins are awful, never book one!!!! ( only joking.... More for us to book!!!)

We love an aft, have sailed various places on a ship but aft is our favourite location. Less footfall, only neighbours need to walk past, away from the noise of the lifts, beautiful views - sitting on balcony with a g&t at sail away for our own private viewing of where we have just been, love sitting on balcony reading - whatever the weather due to the length of a lot of aft balconies (not all are bigger on all cruise lines and ships) there's usually a nice spot.

Love to watch the wake, especially at night, something quite spectacular, never had a problem leaving the doors open at night where on our side balcony the wind noise stopped us from doing this... Or maybe this was the weather on that particular cruise, never mind it's afts all the way for us ;)

On a personal note I was very ill on a cruise 2 years ago, spent a lot of time in the medical facility on a drip etc.... When I was allowed back to the cabin for short periods of time, the aft balcony we had was my bit of paradise, I will never forget it, for us it reinforced one thing I would stay home rather than sail without any balcony ( and the staff and treatment in medical facility were fabulous too...)

If you're referring to your sailing on the Infinity (an M class ship), the absolute best cabin for you and your family would be a corner FOV. Amazing cabins with lots of space and a HUGE balcony. They are on the aft. There are only 6 of these on the ship, so watch like a hawk to see when they become available to parties of less than 5. If they don't become available, there are also 6 FOV cabins next door to the corner ones which are also large and have good balconies, but not as good as the corner ones.

Personally, I wouldn't book an aft cabin on an S class ship. The balconies are not covered. I like to have a choice between sun and shade.

Personally, I wouldn't book an aft cabin on an S class ship. The balconies are not covered. I like to have a choice between sun and shade.

Hi Linda! :) I agree with your assessment of the Solstice aft cabins -- with one exception: the Resort (highest) deck. The outdoor bar above actually provides quite a nice overhang, and decent protection from the sun and rain. the "downside" is that, aside from the two center C-1 cabins, the aft cabins on that deck are all Sky Suites -- no bargains to be found, there.