Beware of Art Auctions on Celebrity Reflection

suni

We sailed on the Reflection in January. Spent hours at the auction and negotiated a fair price for a piece of artwork. By late March we still had not received the art! Called Celebrity to find out the artist had an issue. I suspect the artist didn't like the price Celebrity sold the piece for. We canceled the piece as we had waited so long. I still am fighting for the credit with Celebrity and have gotten my credit card company involved. Celebrity has responded to the dispute stating it is a legitimate charge. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing! I know I will prevail with this, but the time and phone calls and hassle are ridiculous. Totally turned off to Celebrity . They have handled this poorly and I doubt I will ever sail them again. I know for sure I wont be purchasing any artwork at an auction!

Oh dear, the "Art" Auctions have been the center of many controversies over the years. So sorry you are caught up in one. You should know, however, that the Art Auction company is not Celebrity -- they are a separate company which simply rent space on board. The credit card charges do run through your on board account, but they are a separate entity, just like the gift shops and the spa. So Celebrity may say it's a legitimate charge, but your argument is really with the Art Auction company, Park West, who have not supplied you with your purchase. Good luck!

You were probably dealing with Park West and your dispute should be with them. They are a leased operation.

I understand your angst, truly I do, but don't condemn Celebrity for the actions of this company. If your cruise was otherwise wonderful consider sailing with Celebrity again and don't attend the art auction. Park West operates on other cruise lines too.

A ship is not the best place to purchase art.

Many of us are disappointed that Celebrity, among other cruise lines, continues to have Art Auctions. They take up space, they tie up public areas like the Sky Lounges for hours and hours during set up, the auction itself, and then the removal of the pieces. They are a thorn in our side. But apparently they pay big bucks to continue to be a presence at sea, and are a source of revenue for cruise lines. I guess that helps keep our fares low, although I, along with many other cruisers, wish that Park West was a more reliable supplier.

First, I have to admit that we have at least 8 Park West pieces that we purchased on Celebrity ships between 1998 and 2005 and are still very pleased with the purchases. But after all the past issues that caused the split between Celebrity and Park West, I can't understand why they are now back on Celebrity ships. We've been on two cruises since their return and didn't go anywhere near the auctions on those sailings.

This input is interesting. I stated that I believe I will prevail, but reading your responses , I now wonder! Any suggestions for making sure I win this battle ? I never received the artwork! I assume that my credi card compnay will be effective and successful with the dispute . Perhaps I should not assume!

Totally turned off to Celebrity. They have handled this poorly and I doubt I will ever sail them again. I know for sure I wont be purchasing any artwork at an auction!

Tusser WAS pretty good. One point down, only 499 to go... :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

For a start, make sure that your credit card company understands that Celebrity was only acting as the billing agent for Park West. The items were to have come from Park West, and they are the ones who have fallen down on the job. I assume you have all the purchase paperwork, etc. to send to the credit card company.

Do a search of Cruise Critic and also just Google Park West, and you will see both satisfied and dissatisfied customers' stories. Maybe you can find something in them that will help your cause.

Have you spoken directly with Park West yet? Or only been dealing with Celebrity? I would go directly to Park West if you haven't already, to see what they have to say.

Art auctions on cruise ships? These things always make me think of that P.T.Barnum quote, something about a certain kind of person being born every minute. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would even consider participating in such an event.

If the OP feels the need to blame someone, they should look in the mirror to see who that person is. It certainly ins't Celebrity's fault.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Well, I do put some blame on Celebrity -- the shady side of the Art Auctions is well known. But just like some of the merchandise in the gift shops, or the overpriced lotions and potions and hair products sold in the spa, experienced cruisers usually know to steer clear. How many of us rushed to buy the "inch of gold" the first time we saw it?

There are man products of dubious quality sold not only on cruise ships, but at land-based resorts world wide. They count on the feel-good vacation mode, ply the passengers with some sparkling wine, and pretty soon…. well, sometimes in the cold light of day, the product or service just doesn't live up to the hype.

Go thru your paperwork, there is certainly Invoice #'s and addresses and a phone number for the Park West people.

Read every word of your paper work from Park West and there will be contact info and shipment expected dates and who to contact in the event of questions.

Curious, you said you cancelled the purchase? Who did you do that with? And did you get anything in the mail after arriving home and also acknowledgement of the cancellation?

Park west is the only one who can accept a cancellation. They sold you the Art Work and as a curtesy the cruise line allowed you to bill it to your onboard account.

Contact Park West...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You were probably dealing with Park West and your dispute should be with them. They are a leased operation.

I understand your angst, truly I do, but don't condemn Celebrity for the actions of this company. If your cruise was otherwise wonderful consider sailing with Celebrity again and don't attend the art auction. Park West operates on other cruise lines too.

Disagree completely. Park West may be a leased operation but Celebrity can set the rules for outfits they lease to. If Celebrity wants to lease ship space to a sleazy "art" company, they still have some responsibility for the actions of their lessees.

Compare Park West with the actions of the McDonald's restaurant chain. I purposely chose McD because I regard the quality of the stuff Park West pushes with the stuff McD pushes. McD has very detailed rules of how it's franchise owners run their restaurants. If they do not follow the McD rules, they get their franchise pulled. Celebrity could do the same with Park West and and other companies that lease space on their ships.

Bottom line is that they apparently do not care at all as long as the bucks continue to roll in.

DON

Disagree completely. Park West may be a leased operation but Celebrity can set the rules for outfits they lease to. If Celebrity wants to lease ship space to a sleazy "art" company, they still have some responsibility for the actions of their lessees.

Compare Park West with the actions of the McDonald's restaurant chain. I purposely chose McD because I regard the quality of the stuff Park West pushes with the stuff McD pushes. McD has very detailed rules of how it's franchise owners run their restaurants. If they do not follow the McD rules, they get their franchise pulled. Celebrity could do the same with Park West and and other companies that lease space on their ships.

Bottom line is that they apparently do not care at all as long as the bucks continue to roll in.

DON

They still need to contact Park West and find out what happened to their art piece. If it was shipped get the tracking numbers, if they cancelled it, get written notification and find out when they started the credit back to the credit card.

This entire thing may be stuck in accounting at the Cruiseline !

Did the OP cancel the original credit card possibly and now there is a posting issue ? Sorry something else must be going on here.

Call Park West and have all your paperwork in front of you and please read it over carefully BEFORE calling.

DON

Have to agree that Celebrity is responsible for its sub contractors and their performance on board the ships. Celebrity take the dollars for hire of the space and probably a cut of the action as well which in my opinion makes them culpable.

This is the customer service phone # listed from the internet for US customers. With your paperwork and invoice # they should he able to bring up your purchase and where the art or refund is???? (877) 440.0630

Start here with some simple phone calls.

Never buy " vacation art as an " investment " .

Park West preys on " uninformed " travelers that get sucked up into the promotions. I met one couple on a ship that was proud of the $3000 that they supposedly " invested ".

If you like it on your wall, buy it...just don't confuse it with an investment.

Art auctions on cruise ships? These things always make me think of that P.T.Barnum quote, something about a certain kind of person being born every minute. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would even consider participating in such an event.

If the OP feels the need to blame someone, they should look in the mirror to see who that person is. It certainly ins't Celebrity's fault.

I completely agree with you. I would never ever attend another Art Auction on Celebrity :mad: or any other cruise line, they are unethical in their dealings and I believe Celebrity need to reconsider using them on their ships.

Never buy " vacation art as an " investment " .

Park West preys on " uninformed " travelers that get sucked up into the promotions. I met one couple on a ship that was proud of the $3000 that they supposedly " invested ". If you like it on your wall, buy it...just don't confuse it with an investment.

Appreciate this above excellent summary/warning. When they tell you about its "value", it is something where THEY have set and claimed this number. Not exactly an independent, honest valuation. Buyer beware!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 60,486 views for this fun posting.

For the OP it doesn't do much good to warn "Don't buy artwork on a ship". It's too late for the OP. the question is, what to do next.

1. Gather all paperwork.

2. Document every phone call made so far.

3. Harness the power of your credit card company.

4. Be patient. These things take time to sort out

Edited by WestLakeGirl

Do not like them and have not attended one in many years. Have friends that bought two paintings then saw them in NYC in a "Going Out of Business" sale for more than half of what they paid.:(

That is one thing I think they should discontinue on the ships and find another venue to interest people.

That is one thing I think they should discontinue on the ships and find another venue to interest people.

If passengers quit buying the pieces, they would move off the ship. Enough people find value and interest in the auctions, the companies decide to stay on. Its a lot of work and effort for them each day to set up and tear it all down, so they mist be finding an economic benefit by being there.

As to the OP issues, you need to tell your credit card company you bought a piece of art in Celebrity Ship, it was billed to your on-board account and was to be delivered by _____ date, whatever was noted on your purchase forms. Tell Credit card company you did not receive the art and that if Celebrity believes it is a legitimate charge, they need to now provide proof of delivery.

You will get nowhere with Credit card company by invoking Park West is the supplier, or Park West told you the artist didn't like the price it sold for etc...as Credit card company only cares about the name of the merchant on your billing. So tell them you want to have them issue a "partial dispute" for whatever that amount of the charge was. Start the paper chain if you haven't already, don't just call and take celebrity's word for it.

Without "proof of delivery" you will get your money back. Credit card company MAY even temporarily credit your whole SeaPass account back, I've had my company tell me they can't credit partially, then await the reply from X and then the Card company will charge back to your account the resolved proper billing, leaving off the portion for the undelivered art work.

The process can take 60 days or so as the credit card company gives the supplier a particulate amount of time to respond to the disputed claim.

Botom line, dispute with credit car company siting lack of delivery, and then Celebrity will need to provide appropriate "proof of delivery" by a signed fedex or UPS or other similar proof, which clearly does not exist in this case. It;s important you request PROOF OF DELIVERY, otherwise celebrity will just submit your hand signed charge slip from the auction that they used to charge your account, they now need proof they actually delivered it.