Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

Jamsheed Master aka "Jamm" is on Statendam now. I just got off the ship Sunday. He packed the house every night.

As Ruth said, he often picks one composer or singer to highlight for a 1.5 hour set, such as Stephen Sondheim, Barbra, ABBA, Cole Porter, Rogers & Hammerstein, The Beatles, etc.

When it was Sondheim night I arrived eager to hear some favorite songs. Not a one was played. :( More amazing to me was that I didn't know any of the ones Jamm did play! :eek: I know a lot of songs, so the for the ones he played to be totally new to me, they had to be obscure.

He's good, no doubt, but I would like to hear more variety than he presents.

When it was Sondheim night I arrived eager to hear some favorite songs. Not a one was played. :( More amazing to me was that I didn't know any of the ones Jamm did play! :eek: I know a lot of songs, so the for the ones he played to be totally new to me, they had to be obscure.

He's good, no doubt, but I would like to hear more variety than he presents.

I'm a "Sond-head" and thought I knew every tune Sondheim has ever written...but Jamm stumped me on a few also. :)

Jamsheed Master aka "Jamm" is on Statendam now. I just got off the ship Sunday. He packed the house every night.

As Ruth said, he often picks one composer or singer to highlight for a 1.5 hour set, such as Stephen Sondheim, Barbra, ABBA, Cole Porter, Rogers & Hammerstein, The Beatles, etc.

I was on the ship with Aruba, and I concur with his observation. After dinner, I would pass by the MIX on the way to the show, and Jamm always had a full house. I would return after the show to hear Jamm close out before I retire to my cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

An update from Jimmy Maddox:-

• Oosterdam: 7 September to 4 December 2014 (7-night Alaska x 3, 24/25-night repositioning to Sydney, 14-night Australia/New Zealand x 3)
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 4 January to 28 March 2015 (7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 12)
  • Oosterdam: 10 May to 1 August 2015 (7-night alternating northbound/southbound Alaska x 12)
  • Eurodam: 7 September to 7 November 2015 (17-night westbound trans-Atlantic, 10-night Canada/New England, 14-night Atlantic Coast repositioning to Florida, 7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 3)
  • Westerdam: 12 December 2015 to 13 February 2016 (7-night eastern Caribbean x 9)
  • Volendam: 17 March to 4 May 2016 (14-night Singapore to Hong Kong, 16-night Hong Kong to Yokohama, 18-night Yokohama to Vancouver)

Edited by Globaliser

We just got off the Prinsendam and happy to report that Don Alexander was the piano player each night in the Crows Nest. He had different themed nights such as Elvis but also many were requests only. He played every genre and also accompanied himself with a sax or harmonica.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got of P-dam. We thought Don was not very good. In fact, the last night into FLL, I actually started falling asleep...what a bore!:(:(

That has been our experience with Michael Sara as well. We had him on a Eurodam cruise two years ago and Piano Bar was packed every night. People seemed to enjoy him.

He was the piano man on my Noordam TA in October and packed the room every night. However, he was a disappointment to me. He uses a synthesizer. I'm a fan of "real" piano men vs a piano entertainer. Sara is no match for Jimmy Maddoux or Stryker or Randy Powell (no longer with HAL). I'm hoping for someone better on my upcoming March 2015 Veendam cruise. Until now, the piano man was the only thing keeping me with HAL.

On our Westerdam Christmas cruise a few years ago we had a Nathan Tremby in the piano bar (from Google he now seems to be preforming in Sacramento CA :( ).

He was fantastic. We dropped in Christmas Eve and again Christmas night because of so much fun the night before. He had everybody singing and laughing all evening long. We hated to leave to go to bed :). Every chair was full and folks were standing 2 deep in every available spot.

He added so much to the cruise and to the Holiday Cheer!

A few years ago, we had at least two or three sailings on different HAL ships where the piano bar person was "Fritzie". Has anyone seen her in the past five years? I wonder where she is playing/how she is doing, etc? Thanks for reminiscing on this one.

We were on several cruises with Fritzie but have not seen her for quite awhile. Here is a link to her website:

http://fritziemusic.com/A55CDF/fritziemusic.nsf/index.shtml

We were also on several cruises with someone named Steve whom we really enjoyed, but heard that he had given up cruising for some land jobs, not sure if he was coming back.

He was the piano man on my Noordam TA in October and packed the room every night. However, he was a disappointment to me. He uses a synthesizer. I'm a fan of "real" piano men vs a piano entertainer. Sara is no match for Jimmy Maddoux or Stryker or Randy Powell (no longer with HAL). I'm hoping for someone better on my upcoming March 2015 Veendam cruise. Until now, the piano man was the only thing keeping me with HAL.

Oh crap! He's still using the synthesizers? I had hoped he might have given that up. It takes away any semblance of spontaneity. I totally agree with you, Chelly! I loved Jimmy Maddox (and Diane Fast, as well).

You go early to get a seat --

Wish there was more info on Noordam -- 2/27/15 sailing

The aforementioned Michael Sara (and his synthesizers) are going to be aboard the Noordam on the 2/6/15 sailing, so there's a good chance that he'll still be there for 2/27.

We were on several cruises with Fritzie but have not seen her for quite awhile. Here is a link to her website:

http://fritziemusic.com/A55CDF/fritziemusic.nsf/index.shtml

We were also on several cruises with someone named Steve whom we really enjoyed, but heard that he had given up cruising for some land jobs, not sure if he was coming back.

I remember Fritzie well. Don't quote me but I believe she passed away.:(

IMO, Jimmy Maddox is the best.:)

I remember Fritzie well. Don't quote me but I believe she passed away.:(

There was a HAL piano bar musician named Fritzie who passed away (she was fabulous!), but based on the picture linked, it was not the same person.

This one may also have died, but I don't know.

Just got of P-dam. We thought Don was not very good. In fact' date=' the last night into FLL, I actually started falling asleep...what a bore!:(:([/quote']

We didn't care for him either. Seemed more of an imitator than a singer.

There was a HAL piano bar musician named Fritzie who passed away (she was fabulous!), but based on the picture linked, it was not the same person.

This one may also have died, but I don't know.

Hmm. Ruth, I didn't even look at the photo link - I thought there was only one Fritzie.

Hmm. Ruth, I didn't even look at the photo link - I thought there was only one Fritzie.

I didn't know about the Fritzie shown in the link; I, too, thought there was only one Fritzie---just not the same one.

The one I knew was a long time ago. I met her on the old Rotterdam back in '95, and last saw her on that ship's final cruise in '97. She was not a young woman then.

She lived in Florida, and loved to golf.

I didn't know about the Fritzie shown in the link; I, too, thought there was only one Fritzie---just not the same one.

The one I knew was a long time ago. I met her on the old Rotterdam back in '95, and last saw her on that ship's final cruise in '97. She was not a young woman then.

She lived in Florida, and loved to golf.

The one I remember was on my very first HAL cruise, on the Veendam back in around 2002. She was an older but attractive woman at that time so I was not at all surprised to hear some years later that she had died.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with you. If I could ask a favor...after your cruise, will you post here who the pianist was - and if he/she will be on board in February? TIA!

We just got home from our Ryndam cruise - it was great. The pianist was Jeff Warren. He is very personable and friendly, gets a good atmosphere, and encourages people to join in. We had one or two very talented passengers who really were good to listen to, as well! I think he will still be on the Ryndam in February. He said he will be there for at least another couple of months.

• 3 weeks later...