Rome to Civitavecchia to Airport

TravelBugM

We have just booked a 10 night round trip Rome cruise. We are very familiar with Rome and will be spending a few nights there in advance of the cruise.

Can anyone advise best way to get to the ship and then from the ship to the airport?

We were thinking of taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. Does anyone know how far from the train station to the ship? Ideally we would be able to walk.

Thanks in advance.

Its very easy to get the train from Rome Termini to Civitaveccia.

There are some express trains that only take 45 mins and you can book in advance if you wish through the trenitalia website for some good deals. Other non express trains can take up to 1:30 (from memory, these are also much cheaper)

One thing to note is that you have to go between platforms to the exit at the station, which requires going down a fairly large set of stairs, and up another - there are no escalators/elevators at Civitaveccia.

The walk from the station to the port area is about 15 mins, and is pleasant enough provided that your baggage is easy to wheel.

There are some cabs etc to the port gate, but most people walk in a slow procession. Depending on how many ships are leaving Rome that day, the port gate area can be relaxed or absolute chaos. There are buses from the gate to your cruise ship.

On the way back to the airport, you can go back through Rome by train if you wish! See the website for timetable and fares!

:D:D:D

Edited by brucory

When is your cruise and what ship are you on? You can also get good information on your roll call and you may find someone to share a cab with you. There are Rome cabs, Rome limos, etc.

Honestly, with our luggage, a train would not work out for us. I've priced out one of the Rome cabs and it's 130 Euro for 2 people which can be shared by up to 6 people, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I think we will take the train from Termini to the cruise port.

Just a little confused as to how to navigate between the train and the ship. Seems to be somewhat conflicting information.

Can anyone with recent experience confirm how we get between the train and the ship? We have no problems walking with our wheeling luggage.

Thanks

As discussed frequently on this board, the place to meet the shuttles has moved away from the train station, somewhere around a 15 or 20 minute further walk (adding to a previous 10-15 minute walk). This is a temporary move, but not sure for how long. It may be finished when you are cruising, if it is next year.

Then from the port entrance (wherever it may be), you take a free shuttle bus within the port. Just make sure you get on the bus with your ship's sign at the front.

Edited by CruiserBruce

When someone asks what is the best the key is what do you consider the best.

For me it is speed and ease so I take a private vehicle. We also use Rome Cabs and their site is http://www.romecabs.com

If you consider best to be the cheapest then take the train. As noted, it is a little more challenging now but doable. Benefit is the price. But it is not as easy as a private vehicle and if you have a tight flight that can be a drawback too.

Keith

So, I think we will take the train from Termini to the cruise port.

Just a little confused as to how to navigate between the train and the ship. Seems to be somewhat conflicting information.

Can anyone with recent experience confirm how we get between the train and the ship? We have no problems walking with our wheeling luggage.

Thanks

I don't have recent experience but good information posted on this board previously should help.

When you get off the train, you may have to go up and down a flight of stairs to get across the tracks.

Once you exit the station, you will walk to your right (with the station behind you). You will keep the water on your left.

Here is a map someone posted of the new walking route to the spot where the free port shuttles will pick you up and take you to your ship:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Via+Turco,+00053+Civitavecchia+RM,+Italy/42.088295,11.79813/@42.0926239,11.7888418,1328m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x1328a352f5d424c3:0xcdb9468821334935!2m2!1d11.7883322!2d42.0971877!1m0!3e2?hl=en

Look for a shuttle with your ship name on it.

Google maps suggests the walk is 18 minutes; I think that's a little optimistic with luggage and would allow perhaps 25 minutes.