Changing Ships?

DP

We are sailing on Independence in November and when we return to Ft Lauderdale we are getting off and going to Allure on the same day. How do we get from Independence to Allure?

You would most likely need to get a cab. It would be a very long walk between the two ships with luggage and I'm not even sure if people are allowed to walk around the port area from pier to pier. I have never heard of shuttles going between the piers.

And one more thing... you are going from one great ship to another great ship!:)

Edited by Ocean Boy

We are sailing on Independence in November and when we return to Ft Lauderdale we are getting off and going to Allure on the same day. How do we get from Independence to Allure?

There is some sort of port shuttle at Ft. Lauderdale. Talk with Guest Services on board Indy and they should be able to direct you. Worst case is you tak a taxi as suggested above.

Edited by clarea

Taxis are plentiful leaving Indy (we did Thanksgiving cruise last year, best ever!) and I would just grab one and head over for instant service, vs. waiting for the shuttle. Shouldn't be more than $5? We paid less than $10 from the Crowne Plaza to the Indy last year from what I remember

We did a Liberty then Oasis cruise in February. There was a free shuttle between Royal ships in Port Everglades. Just ask a RCCL representative where it is as you exit the terminal.

While free, they waited until every seat on the bus was full before they left, which took bout an hour.

Here are your options:

1. Walk. Not recommended. The IOS will be docked at the other end of the port. Plus you'll be pulling your luggage(s). Disclosure: We walked...once...from the Allure to the Solstice. At the end of the cruise we walked up on the top deck and saw the Solstice was docked right next door. It was a relatively short walk and we only had one rolling luggage each.

2. Rental Car Shuttles. These shuttles stop at each ship picking up passengers. Drivers are often nice and will let you on and drop you off the next ship. Others require a proof of rental reservation.

3. Taxi. The cab drivers will often be disappointed when they find out you are only going to the other ship. Once they drop you off, they'll have to get back in line for new passengers. Depending on the driver, the meter won't even move...others will tell you it's a "set price" of $8 or $10. Note: The cost is only about $15 from the port to the airport.

4. Free Shuttles. Yes, your best choice. Simply ask the Crown and Anchor Representative or Purser's Desk, and they will tell you were to go. Note: When you disembark, past Customs/Immigration,...and out of the building, you may have to ask another RCCL employee where the free shuttle is parked. Last December, we did a B2B on the Indy, then had to go to the new Royal Princess for the third week. The RCCL free shuttle was only for RCCL ships and Celebrity....however, we kindly asked the driver if he can drop us off a Princess ship...and he accomodated us. We gave him a nice tip. He was happy, we were happy.

And we agree, take your time disembarking the Indy. Enjoy a nice breakfast, perhaps go up on the top deck and enjoy the moment...knowing you only have to go to the Allure.............wish we were going. Happy Sailing! :)

FWIW, we did this last year. (Liberty to Vision) There was no shuttle, and no help moving from one ship to another. I've heard about the shuttle, and it may very well exist, but, I'd suggest you have a plan B just in case.

Here are your options:

2. Rental Car Shuttles. These shuttles stop at each ship picking up passengers. Drivers are often nice and will let you on and drop you off the next ship. Others require a proof of rental reservation....

This is stealing the ride. Imagine if dozens or hundreds of passengers did this? How is that fair to the bona fide car rental customers who need a ride to the office to get their car? It's not fair.

Please don't do this.

On my last B2B at the end of April there was a new bus that I had not seen circulating previously. It appears it goes between the 'distant' terminals and the parking garages. I think port employees even were using it as well, but am unsure as I have not used it nor asked.

While a rental car shuttle ' attempt' would never work with the Alamo/National bus, I can not imagine that the Budget or Avis drivers might be glad to 'help' someone out, as they need to pass Terminal 18 anyway and, of course, work on a tip. They would say no directly if not possible due to other passengers or 'violated' security rules or something. I saw several of these circulating 'empty' around other terminals, while filling up at T18.

A good strategy for taxi for a short distance is to approach one that is dropping off an embarking passenger and not one in the line, hopping to get a full fare.