Pre-cruise Rome stay, looking for hotel suggestions- w/good Location!

CruisingGatorGirl

Hi all, I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

I am asking for help with a hotel in Rome. When I go on trip advisor I get totally overwhelmed. I was able to find some good suggestions from CC members on the Spain board for Barcelona, and now looking for Rome :)

So, to the amazing CC members! Where have you stayed in Rome pre-cruise that you would recommend? Our number 1 requirement is location, then price. My husband and I are young and "walkers." We enjoy being able to explore a city via foot (we take metros too, just like walking for the exercise).

Ideally we would like to stay under $200 a night, more around $120-$160. However we would go up to $200 if the place was right.

So far I found from the hundreds on TA:

Hotel Grifo

Hotel Aventino

Hotel Golden

Napoleon Hotel

Any experience?

Thank you in advance!

The most desirable place to stay in Rome is the Via Veneto area. This is a lovely tree-lined street that leads one way to the Trevi fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon a bit beyond that. The other way is the Villa Borghese and Park, which are lovely. I stayed at the Hotel Imperiale, which run about 170 Euros per night. It's the least expensive hotel in the best part of town. Highly recommend.http://www.hotelimperialeroma.it/default-en.html

I will say that you need to pace yourselves. One of the best walks is from the Via Veneto to the Colosseum. It's a good dramatic walk. You are in modern Rome and then all of a sudden you are in ancient Rome with the Forum and Colosseum. It's like "Wow!"

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

The most desirable place to stay in Rome is the Via Veneto area. This is a lovely tree-lined street that leads one way to the Trevi fountain, the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon a bit beyond that. The other way is the Villa Borghese and Park, which are lovely.

Most desirable? By what criteria? :confused:

Although Rome's central area isn't huge, the Via Veneto area is a little out of the way. It would not be a place I'd recommend for folks like the OP who are looking for somewhere very central and wanting to mostly walk the city. My parents stayed in the vicinity a year ago (arranged for them) and weren't very happy with the location. I've also stayed in many different areas of Rome on many trips.

The MOST central area, as is widely agreed, is in the area between Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona/Campo di Fiori. Look at the Pantheon as a good indicator of centrality. From a location in this area you can walk anywhere within Rome's Centro Storico within 20 minutes. The Vatican, though walkable, is farther.

This area is also very lively at night (not so much the Via Veneto). There are lots of restaurants and many people walk around at night enjoying the monuments that are lit up.

To the OP: I suggest going to a site such as venere.com that allows you to search by area. The areas I'd recommend include Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain. (Probably in that order.)

Be sure to map out any particular hotel you are considering. Hotel owners have a bad habit of saying their hotel is only "steps away" from major locations -- but they don't tell you how MANY steps. :p

Maybe it's a generational thing? Via Veneto was a big deal in the sixties after Fellini's movie "La Dolce Vita" satirized the lifestyles of the rich and famous there.

Today the Pantheon area is dead center for tourists as it is the most convenient and accessible. As Cruisemom said, if you draw a rough triangle including the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo dei Fiori, you'll have an idea of the heart of the historic area.

I enjoy the history of Rome but I like trees and greenery. The Via Veneto is tree-lined and tranquil compared to the rest of Rome. I also enjoy the proximity to Rome's equivalent of Central Park- the Borghese Park. I think it depends what people enjoy while traveling. I like to relax in the evening and get away from the mobs of tourists. This is definitely the prettiest part of the city and it isn't "happening" at night but neither am I LOL.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We twice have stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo right by the Campo di'Fiori in "Old Rome", about a 10-minute lovely stroll to the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona. Also located right by the Largo Argentina bus hub (and tram for Trastevere). Not fancy, but clean rooms and a small elevator and very good breakfast.

We love strolling in this area in the evenings after our long days of sightseeing and there are many very good restaurants in this area as well.

If you want to be by Borghese Gardens, then Via Veneto is OK. Otherwise, you want to be there if you want be be near all those very high-end hotels where the celebs and foreign dignitaries stay. And, you can be near that American contribution to excess and arrogance - the US Embassy.

My last hotel in Rome (the Cavalieri) has it's shuttle pickup there at Piazza Barberini, at the bottom of the Veneto. Always lots of cop cars and men in black suits with sunglasses earpieces around, especially at the Jumeriah and the Westin…other than that "activity", the street seemed pretty bland. It's not a bad walk down to the centro storico from there if you do stay there.

On our last trip we stayed at Relais Teatro Argentina which was IMO in an ideal location close to the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia, Piazza Navon, Campo di Fiore, etc. I really think that general area offer the best access to all the places you are likely to want to go. Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Navona are in the same area, as is Albergo Cesari although it tends to be pricier. We wre extremely happy with that location and found it to be super convenient, safe to walk around at night, and with a plethora of good restaurants nearby (unlike when we stayed near Termini).

On our last trip we stayed at Relais Teatro Argentina which was IMO in an ideal location close to the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia, Piazza Navon, Campo di Fiore, etc. I really think that general area offer the best access to all the places you are likely to want to go. Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Navona are in the same area, as is Albergo Cesari although it tends to be pricier. We wre extremely happy with that location and found it to be super convenient, safe to walk around at night, and with a plethora of good restaurants nearby (unlike when we stayed near Termini).

Cathy I agree on that location. We had friends stay at the Smeraldo and we were in an apartment near Campo di Fiore and loved it. Close walking to all.

Not sure how much luck you will have with the amount you are budgeting finding a place among the recommended sites. I found most hotels in Rome to be over the $200 mark.

I had searched about a year before our trip and found a hotel I really liked "The Gea de Vulcano" reasonable and close to Central Rome, with a budget under the $200 mark.

http://www.hotelgea.com/

When my cruise date approached, I tried to book and they were completely sold out, so I had to search again. Not so easy with a limited budget. But I did find a smaller hotel run by the Nuns close to the Vatican, Domus Aurelia. The price was right, and we used taxi's for transport. No restaurants in the area, but we ate before returning to the hotel in the evening.

http://www.domusaurelia.com/2-stars-hotel-vatican.html

Location really depends on exactly what you want to see. We managed to get from our hotel to the Vatican each morning. The HO/HOs line up on the street in front of the Vatican. I had purchased a HO/HO 48 hour pass so we split Rome into a Northern part and a Southern Part. Riding the HO/HO got us close to the sites we wanted to see each day. We were still wiped out by the end of the day, but I couldn't imagine walking to all the different areas of Rome without some form of transport.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip. Have a Plan "A", then a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. Then be prepared to go with the flow if even Plan B doesn't work out. Take half the clothes you think you need, and twice the money.

Hi all, I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

I am asking for help with a hotel in Rome. When I go on trip advisor I get totally overwhelmed. I was able to find some good suggestions from CC members on the Spain board for Barcelona, and now looking for Rome :)

So, to the amazing CC members! Where have you stayed in Rome pre-cruise that you would recommend? Our number 1 requirement is location, then price. My husband and I are young and "walkers." We enjoy being able to explore a city via foot (we take metros too, just like walking for the exercise).

Ideally we would like to stay under $200 a night, more around $120-$160. However we would go up to $200 if the place was right.

So far I found from the hundreds on TA:

Hotel Grifo

Hotel Aventino

Hotel Golden

Napoleon Hotel

Any experience?

Thank you in advance!

How many nights and dates?

Well, if memory serves, from the Centro Storico it was 5 minutes to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Campo di Fiore. Maybe 5-7 minutes to the Capitoline Museum, Vittorio Emanuele monument, and the bridge overlooking the Forum and Trajan's Market. Another 5 to the Colosseum. 7-10 minutes to the Trevi Fountain and a few minutes from there to the Spanish Steps.

Vatican City was a little longer, maybe 20 minutes. Villa Borghese would have been a hike, but that's about the only 'main attraction' that was unreachable by a quick jaunt.

Our room, which was large for Rome, had a huge bathroom and breakfast included, @ 180E. However it was more of a pensione--just six rooms, no full time concierge, etc. but perfect for us. The assistant even carried our bags down to the street and wheeled them right to the taxi stand where we got a cab to Termini for about 10E, so we were very pleased. If you need a full service hotel, this would not be for you, but we prefer this type where they just give you the keys and you're on your own!

I just made a res at this hotel and great location Hotel Smeraldo this hotel is in the Campo de Fori area and not far from Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona area as well as the Pantheon

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/smeraldo-roma.en-us.html?aid=356284;label=postbooking_confemail;sid=4def02441b6053c31b64b5f6fef9134e;dcid=1;ucfs=1;srfid=54ab38c995ac57b07267fe955b2028a6fd12b70dX1

Edited by mafiadon

We twice have stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo right by the Campo di'Fiori in "Old Rome", about a 10-minute lovely stroll to the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona. Also located right by the Largo Argentina bus hub (and tram for Trastevere). Not fancy, but clean rooms and a small elevator and very good breakfast.

We love strolling in this area in the evenings after our long days of sightseeing and there are many very good restaurants in this area as well.

Just booked this hotel for our last night in Rome our 15th wedding anniversary so glad to see nice things about this hotel. We are paying 169 euros a night

I just made a res at this hotel and great location Hotel Smeraldo this hotel is in the Campo de Fori area and not far from Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona area as well as the Pantheon

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/smeraldo-roma.en-us.html?aid=356284;label=postbooking_confemail;sid=4def02441b6053c31b64b5f6fef9134e;dcid=1;ucfs=1;srfid=54ab38c995ac57b07267fe955b2028a6fd12b70dX1

Nice hotel in a great location. Our friends stayed there last Nov and we were in an apartment in the Campo di Fiore area. Maybe 6-7 blocks away. You will love it im sure.

Just booked this hotel for our last night in Rome our 15th wedding anniversary so glad to see nice things about this hotel. We are paying 169 euros a night

Wonderful location. Enjoy, and happy anniversary!:)

We are staying at the Best Sistine bed and breakfast. It's pretty and runs about $200/night depending on the day, sometimes less. We have some extended family stay there and they couldn't rave more about it. Some of their pictures are up on Trip Advisor from 2007.

The B&B is a few blocks from the Vatican. http://www.bestbb.it/en/sistine.php

Hope that helps!

Edited by MissBreezy

First off, loved your previous European cruise review! I read and re-read many parts as we planned our last trip to Europe on the Equinox! We now leave in October on the sillouhette out of Rome, 14 night holy land/greece.

I thought rome was overwhelming when looking at hotels. We decided on casa campo di fiori. Seemed central location, walking distance, not too expensive, but clean. We are mid 30s and love to walk, but wanted to not waste too much time walking or riding in taxis. We also booked a food tour with bruno that sounds really fun for the one night we are staying post-cruise.

Our room, which was large for Rome, had a huge bathroom and breakfast included, @ 180E. However it was more of a pensione--just six rooms, no full time concierge, etc. but perfect for us. The assistant even carried our bags down to the street and wheeled them right to the taxi stand where we got a cab to Termini for about 10E, so we were very pleased. If you need a full service hotel, this would not be for you, but we prefer this type where they just give you the keys and you're on your own!

My point exactly, that 180 EUR is $243.00

OP, from your list, the only one I'm familiar with is the Hotel Golden. It's in a good location, but it's on a busy street with lots of buses. Pretty basic (zero charm), small rooms and not much sound-proofing between them.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Rome. The one that I particularly liked was the Hotel Abruzzi which is right next to the Albergo del Senato at half the price (should be under $200). I stayed 3 nights in the annex and it was charming - it's next door in an apartment building. Had an unobstructed view of the Pantheon, corner room with three windows with wooden shutters which opened, and it felt like I lived in Rome. I love the Pantheon area because it's a "no car" zone. For the included breakfast, you cross the Piazza della Rotunda (it's deserted early in the morning, too, so great photos) to one of the cafes on the piazza. When the folks at the cafe found out I needed gluten-free (hotel had called to advise them), they'd gone to the store and bought some special GF treats for me. It was the most magical visit I've had in seven trips. I also recommend the Villa Borghese area but it is NOT in the historical center.

Wherever you stay, you'll love Rome and walking is the best! Just last week I made my air reservations to be there again in October - can't wait! :D

Edited by goofysmom99

On our 2011 Trans-Atlantic, we spent 6 days pre-cruise in Rome. Instead of trying to stay in the center of the tourist area, I found a place a little ways out but very close to a metro stop. It was about 300€ for the 5 nights, 60€/night. I was willing to share 2 bathrooms with 3 other rooms. We never had a problem. There were places with a private bath for a little more. They also had a stove and 'fridge for guest use and provided a few packaged breakfast items (cookies & pastries) and a carton of juice.

The metro makes a big X in Rome and some areas are just not convenient to a metro stop (the Vatican and the Pantheon come to mind). If you like walking as mush as you say, then it won't be much of an issue. Buses cover the in-between areas OK. We took a 2 day HoHo bus too with the free "river cruise". Actually, the boat ride was worth every penny (free with the HoHo ticket) but it was a nice relaxing ride, though a bit cool in October.

I feel our method worked well for us. We were about 100 yards from the metro and used it daily to visit the 4 corners of the city and used the HoHo bus for transport to many central attractions. A little known place I enjoyed was the Boca de Varitas (Mouth of Truth). We had to take a city bus a few blocks since it's not close to the metro, but I like the unusual and quirky. The story behind it is quite interesting.

How many nights and dates?

Hi!

2 nights, May 19th and May 20th (2015)

Thank you for the help everyone!

Our goal was to stay under $400, but realizing we may have to bump that up now?

Thank you all for the replies! I have a busy day at work today, hopefully tonight I can log back on and check all hotels out!

There are so many factors involved when looking for a hotel in Rome (or Europe for that matter)….. I use these 3 every time I look for a hotel (Rome or otherwise)

1. WHEN are you going ? PRICE - There is high, low and mid season. Prices vary ALOT from one to the other. So always state your dates you are visiting. If you are giving referrals - do not give info on prices unless you stayed around the same time as this can confuse the OP even more when they can't get the same price as you did because it is in a different "season"

2. LOCATION ? The closer you get to the good stuff the more you will spend. Also, remember if you suggest a hotel that is "a ways out…" and you have 6 days to spend in Rome - that works. But if you only have 2 days and your list of must dos/sees is long - it is better to stay closer in. Its simple logistics. Many hotels will list how far/how long to walk to the various sites…. look around the website for it. And get a good map - mark in red the sites you want to see/visit and then in green the various hotels you are thinking about booking.

3. AMENITIES ? Hotels in Rome are a very different animal than those in USA. The rating system (stars) has more to do with WHAT is offered than HOW NICE it is…… If you want quiet - stay a bit further out or in a more residential neighborhood…… Rome can be a bit noisy in the center. There are exceptions if you have a room say on the back of a hotel away from the street/piazza. Also ask if there is a restaurant/bar in close proximity as those can be really noisy later into the wee hours of the morning especially if they have outdoor seating.

As a side note: If you are staying in Rome 3 or more nights - consider an apartment. You can save BIG BIG $$$$$. Plus you get more room usually with a full kitchen etc. One of my favorite things to do after checking in is to head to the nearest grocery (they are tucked in everywhere in the historic area) and buy items for breakfast and snacks. I love having my coffee and danish/breakfast in my jammies and then head out for the day. We have stayed in 2 apartments in central Rome and plan to again next April for our next visit pre cruise.

ps: Hotel Golden is a favorite of many cruisers but it is out of the way imo and doesn't have much charm. But clean and cheap (well for Rome)

Ask at the hotel if they do have self catering apartments. This is a little known fact- many hotels including the five star Hotel Serbelloni in Bellagio have apartments as well as rooms. They don't offer daily maid service but they are bigger and usually much less expensive than a regular double room. Call or email the hotels you have in mind to find out if they offer apartments.