Just Off the Golden to Alaska, RT Seattle 6/7-14/2014. Buckle Up!

monk888

As do we.

I had a problem in Honolulu last October....my fault BTW....

But, we went with the flow and still enjoyed the cruise even tho' due to my accident I was wheel chair bound for 9 days on the cruise.

Life is full of bumps.....I take them as they come...

Robert Frost once said "when you come to a fork in the road take it:....

Wow what a different perspective. We just got off the Golden 2 weeks ago. We had a wonderful time, and I agree, it's what you make of it. I'm not going to address every point you made, but I will say we had vastly different experiences. We thought the ship was in good shape and saw them painting and doing maintenance at every port. I didn't notice anything wrong with the ship's name paint.

We went to the Crown Grill twice for supper and also for the pub lunch. Everyone there remembered us and gave us the same wonderful window table each time. We had excellent food and service, and were made to feel it was a special occasion, even though we weren't celebrating anything.

We went to the Horizon court for 3 evening meals, only because of the late port times. It's not 5 star food, but neither did we find it inedible. Many dishes we found to be the same as that night's MDR offering.

We greatly enjoyed the lead singer of Sol Play. She has a great voice and got the dance floor packed with people.

We thought the embarkation was the best we've ever experienced. We have only cruised from Galveston before, so that's our only point of reference, but Seattle was vastly better. We never had to sit and wait, the lines kept moving along, and everyone was very pleasant.

We enjoyed the itinerary very much and the wonderful scenery. We were exhausted when we got home from all the activity we enjoyed during the cruise. 'Bored' is not a word I would ever use when describing our experiences.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review, as did I when we arrived home. It just goes to show how people can experience things so differently!

I found the Golden a bit tired looking (in October ), but it may have been cleaned up since.

Surprised to hear that poster had to bring his own luggage into the terminal (and it was after 12:00)and lift on conveyors. Last summer for Alaska cruise(on the Star) we arrived very early , a little past 10:00am. No porters to help take luggage and we also had to bring it into the terminal . However, once at beginning of the short line, there was help that took luggage and put on conveyor. Friends arriving a few minutes after us had their luggage taken by porters instead.

I think people were still exiting ship and the porters were assisting them

when we arrived early.Don't know why the Poster had that experience. I wouldn't have been happy, especially when there are big crowds all trying to get into terminal too.

As do we.

I had a problem in Honolulu last October....my fault BTW....

But, we went with the flow and still enjoyed the cruise even tho' due to my accident I was wheel chair bound for 9 days on the cruise.

Life is full of bumps.....I take them as they come...

Robert Frost once said "when you come to a fork in the road take it:....

Sounds like Yogi Berra to me! :D

Sometimes things are just ship-specific.

I just got off Star Princess to Alaska and the entertainment was great. The band that was in the Wheelhouse Bar was highly regarded (Tempo Quatro). Music abounded throughout the ship. I thought the Princess Orchestra was very good. They had some sets in the Piazza that were very nice.

Oh, and sure, we had an egg-drop contest too. It was well attended and was quite entertaining. But if someone didn't want to see that, they could have attended a bunch of other things at the same time.

It sounds like your cruise director wasn't up to snuff entertainment-wise. Ours was Paul Chandler-Burns and he and his staff were a hoot.

Our experience in Seattle was that there were porters in 2009 - 2012. Last year, the porters all seemed to be busy with a couple of transfer buses that arrived at the same time as us. We did take our own bags into the terminal, but someone lifted them onto the conveyor for us. I go again in 34 days, and will report back about this year's experience when I return.

I've been on the Golden to Alaska 3 times and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time. I go to Alaska for Alaska, not for bands and other entertainment. I go to shows if they appeal to me, but it's not a major part of my cruise. I'm usually in bed by 10 - 11 PM in Alaska anyway due to early mornings and long port days.

Our experience in Seattle was that there were porters in 2009 - 2012. Last year, the porters all seemed to be busy with a couple of transfer buses that arrived at the same time as us. We did take our own bags into the terminal, but someone lifted them onto the conveyor for us. I go again in 34 days, and will report back about this year's experience when I return.

I've been on the Golden to Alaska 3 times and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time. I go to Alaska for Alaska, not for bands and other entertainment. I go to shows if they appeal to me, but it's not a major part of my cruise. I'm usually in bed by 10 - 11 PM in Alaska anyway due to early mornings and long port days.

Gotta agree with you.

We seldom go to shows on cruise ships....too much else to keep us occupied.

We make our cruise experience what we want it to be and we have never been disappointed....

I was on the same sailing as OP. Plenty of porters when I arrived. And I waited about 5 minutes in line. I got to the port at 11. On ship at 12. I ate at Crown Grill twice. Both meals were fantastic in every respect. I am not the biggest fan of the buffet but this being my 34th cruise I knew what to expect. Some food ok, some pretty bad. The grill, international cafe, pizza were all great options as was room service which was on time and good. I thought Sol Play was a great band. Lots of fun music. The piano player in the piano bar was top notch. Didn't attend any other shows. The servers and stewards everywhere were excellent. Regarding the toilet paper I didn't even notice it. I guess as a veteran cruiser, not much bothers me. Service and itinerary is the key to a great cruise for me. I truly enjoyed the Golden. I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I don't discredit someone's overall review because of a bad embarkation. For example, issues at embarkation wouldn't change my views if I experienced service problems at Crown Grill like the OP did (tablemates being handed dessert menus while I had just started my entree).

My overall "take" on this review is that while the OP had an enjoyable vacation, he has provided Princess with some good constructive criticisms in a few areas.

No single review keeps me from sailing Princess in the future, or any cruise line, for that matter. I make a mental note of the service issues experienced and appreciate the OP providing details to back them up. All too often we read of complaints without sufficient details to determine their viability.

The timing of your arrival at any pier can have an effect on how long you wait and what level of assistance you can find. There are only so many stevedores to go around - and in Seattle there are two ships and a limited amount of space. At 12 ish there are a lot of arrivals coming - and not everyone has left the pier from the last cruise. I'm sure the stevedores are doing the best they can to help as many as possible.

The Princess personnel in Seattle DO work directly for Princess. But a lot of things are out of Princess/Holland control, they have to comply with what they are told. They cannot under any circumstances touch your luggage to help you, only a stevedore can do that.

For the most part, I have aways figured the bands onboard where on ships because they couldn't find any other employment for their band. There are exceptions and have heard a couple of good bands.

It's always interesting how different people on the same cruise can have such different experiences. It's all in what you expect and how those expectations are or aren't met. If you don't like something, there is always something else to do, see or eat. You go with the flow. My expectation for a cruise is to enjoy myself and I do. Not every cruise has been the same and some have been better than others, but still I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to cruise.

Just for everyone's information. There are no porters at the Port of Seattle Pier 91. They are Longshoremen, they do not work for Princess.

We've never had any problems with our bags, there's always been a guy at the scanner to take our bags and load on the belt.

Big Eagle

Edited by Eaglecw

If they don't have the sanitizer, people complain about it here.

Seriously.

What has disappointed me about the crown grill, is that the service

is never special.

Even if you clean your hands in your cabin not everyone else does. Do you not touch anything on the way to eat. No elevator buttons, side rails, door handles, light switches in your cabin, chair in seating area before you grab the foods.

Hand sanitizers stop spread of things. Like it or you need to use it before grabbing food utensils.

You have to remember people on holidays may not be feeling well but keep quiet instead of staying in their cabin.

Monk,

I'm afraid you aren't going to get much, if any, support here on the hand sanitizer issue. Norwalk is just too nasty and those ships are simply too self-contained not to employ this minor inconvenience in an attempt to prevent it.

Norwegian has "Handee-Washee" girls at entrances to it's buffet (at least on the Jewel, my only experience) and don't even try to get past them. I did - grips of steel, those girls have. They got a lot of applause when introduced at the cruise staff show near the end of the cruise.

Thanks for the word on the Crab Shack - I was already mostly convinced to do it one night, your review has locked that choice down for me. Sabatini's is also on my radar.

What was the price on the Cafe Selects card? I can easily see my father getting one.... and I might just grab some of the specialty drinks off it, since he doesn't go for the frou-frou coffee thing.

Do you happen to know what movies were playing at Movies Under the Stars?

As for embarkation, it can't be worse than the Ballantyne Pier (the secondary pier) in Vancouver, BC - those people (port employees) were utterly clueless. Not to mention overwhelmed. They barely knew where to have you take your luggage, forget getting any help with it.

We have been on the Golden three times out of Seattle (arriving early each time 10-1030) and have never had a problem finding a longshoreman to take our bags.

The preferred Platinum, Elite, Suite waiting area is nothing special but all in all we haven't had a bad experience there.

Mike:)

Monk,

I'm afraid you aren't going to get much, if any, support here on the hand sanitizer issue. Norwalk is just too nasty and those ships are simply too self-contained not to employ this minor inconvenience in an attempt to prevent it. Norovirus is nasty, but the hand sanitizers are not effective against it.

What was the price on the Cafe Selects card? About $31 including gratuity

see above in red

EDIT: I just decided to delete my entire posting. Because, well, life's too short.

I'm sorry your Bearnaise sauce was poorly scheduled, your TP was scratchy, and the ice cream stand had a misleading name.

Have fun on Celebrity.

Edited by shepp

EDIT: I just decided to delete my entire posting. Because, well, life's too short.

I'm sorry your Bearnaise sauce was poorly scheduled, your TP was scratchy, and the ice cream stand had a misleading name.

Have fun on Celebrity.

I have chosen to respond to this particular post because it graphically displays a certain attitude that rears its head on this forum from time to time: "Kill the messenger!"

I was on the Golden, just as I said. I told you of my experiences. If you want to mock what I have to say, that's fine. I was on three (3) prior cruises with Princess with my family and had a great time each and every time. That's why I chose Princess to Alaska, plus the fact that it went to Glacier Bay. If you want to discount and trivialize what I have to say, so be it.

I posted my review because I thought others might benefit from it. I also posted it because I believe that Princess representatives read this Board. It is my feeling that by pointing out what I believe to be areas for improvement, they may read it, investigate what I said, and make corrections where deemed appropriate for the good of all. However, some such as this poster, don't see it that way. They choose to act like taunting little children on a playground.

I received the follow up e-mail survey from Princess and filled it out truthfully. I told them of all of these issues and gave them my name and phone number, inviting them to call me. if they have an interest in addressing what I feel to be some issues that should be addressed, they will call me. If not, that's fine too.

I'm sorry if the truth offends some, but as I have said, my review is just my personal opinion. Take it or leave it. Happy Cruising!

I was just on the Golden Princess for 31 nights around South America from March onwards.

I found the ship outstanding with excellent service and food.

Granted that the buffet is nothing more than slops. I walked in and walked out several times not wanting to touch what food was on offer.

I disagree about the pizzas though. They are fantastic.

I wonder about the low opinions on the buffet... Do those of you who consider it "slops" and "inedible" ever eat at a buffet line out in the real world? The food in the HC was comparable to the better buffet restaurants I've been to. No, it was not fine dining or gourmet, but really people - "slops"?!?!?!?!?!?!? For fine dining, go to the MDR or the specialty restaurants. For decent, filling food any time, use the buffet. Sheesh!

No, I don't have an opinion on whether the food was better back in some long-ago better age, since this was our first cruise. But seriously - it was fine...

Jim

Edited by RoxnDox

I was just on the Royal Princess in April and there were people stationed at every entrance reminding you to wash your hands. I find this approach much less intrusive (and more professional) than being strong-armed or being sprayed by cruise staff. Also, Royal had so many Purell machines (as well as sinks in the horizon court) that you couldn't get away from them. Maybe it's different on the Golden. I just don't like NCL's "washy washy" thing - it's seems condescending and juvenile (IMHO).

Originally Posted by Foamer

Monk,

I'm afraid you aren't going to get much, if any, support here on the hand sanitizer issue. Norwalk is just too nasty and those ships are simply too self-contained not to employ this minor inconvenience in an attempt to prevent it. Norovirus is nasty, but the hand sanitizers are not effective against it.

I'm afraid that the CDC doesn't exactly agree with you:

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."