Promenade Cabins on Veendam

rayandshirl

We are up early and out on deck a lot. Have never sailed on Holland America but are considering an itinerary that calls to us but the available cabins (we've always booked balconies on Celebrity and Princess) on this cruise are on the promenade deck.

Do you feel a loss of privacy with people walking by your cabin? What about in the evening when you're in your cabin with the lights on?

We're used to not seeing anyone from our balcony.

Thank you so much.

The outside and Lanai cabins on Veendam's Lower Promenade have a coated glass so that people cannot see in during the daytime. At night it is possible for them to see in if the inside lights are on; the outside lights do compensate somewhat for that. If you need privacy inside, it's better to keep the curtains and the draperies both closed. If you want some outside light coming in, then open the draperies, but leave the curtains closed.

In most areas along the promenade there are loungers, so it's unlikely people will be immediately under your window. However, you will hear the crew when they wash the windows and wash down the deck!

Thank you very much but I just discovered Holland America lines allow smoking on balconies so we will not consider this cruise after all.

:confused: Your post asked about Lower Promenade Deck, and said you wouldn't be in a balcony cabin. So, I don't understand what smoking on a balcony has to do with it. However---

Hope you find something suitable.

:confused: Your post asked about Lower Promenade Deck, and said you wouldn't be in a balcony cabin. So, I don't understand what smoking on a balcony has to do with it. However---

Hope you find something suitable.

You specified "Lower Promenade" while OP just said Promenade. I think the actual Promenade deck is all public rooms so I assume Promenade is what was intended. I don't remember ever seeing ashtrays at those loungers so I'm pretty sure there's no smoking around the Lanaii cabins.

Roy

You specified "Lower Promenade" while OP just said Promenade. I think the actual Promenade deck is all public rooms so I assume Promenade is what was intended.

Since OP was asking about a cabin, and cabins where there would be people outside, and since there are no cabins on the Veendam Promenade Deck, I assumed OP meant the promenade (lower case "p"), which is Lower Promenade Deck. So, I answered as if that's the deck where the cabins in question are.

Since OP was asking about a cabin, and cabins where there would be people outside, and since there are no cabins on the Veendam Promenade Deck, I assumed OP meant the promenade (lower case "p"), which is Lower Promenade Deck. So, I answered as if that's the deck where the cabins in question are.

We have sailed in one of these cabins and really liked it. You do need to draw the curtains after dark, but enjoyed the convenience of having the (lower) promenade deck just a few steps away. It almost like having a balcony cabin without paying for one.

One caveat if you travel with lots of luggage or gear; it did seem as though the lower promenade outsides were a tad smaller than the outsides on the "skin of the ship". They still have a bathtub, and otherwise appear the same as any other outside cabin.

One caveat if you travel with lots of luggage or gear; it did seem as though the lower promenade outsides were a tad smaller than the outsides on the "skin of the ship".

They are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. As a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides across the passageway.

I am just back from a week to Alaska on the Zaandam. I lucked out and received a midship ocean view on deck 2 with my guarantee. I was actually really glad that I didn't have a promenade cabin. I travelled on my own so I had the beds split so that I could stand at the window and see the view. I was up early every morning walking the promenade deck and i would have felt very uncomfortable in one of those cabins. Even with the mirror glass you can still see in during the day if the lights were on.

I tried very much not to look into cabins but it must have been very disconcerting to anyone standing at their window seeing everyone passing so close to their window. Also, the view would be very quite obstructed having to look through railings.

Just my opinion.

Not to contradict others observations but I wonder if different ships have different coatings on the windows?

On volendam and Amsterdam one could definately see in when people had lights on but I could not see in my regular cabin on Veendam. I even had an origami penguin taped inside the window and I tried several times and couldn't even see it. However, the lanais ( newer glass) up the deck did show a little outline of curtain with the lights on inside.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I was able to see into our Veendam lower Promenade deck cabin in the daytime. If you want privacy, close the curtains no matter what time it is.

As of April when we sailed on her, the Veendam lower promenade walking deck was non-smoking--signs posted on exit doors, no ashtrays.

I was able to see into our Veendam lower Promenade deck cabin in the daytime. If you want privacy, close the curtains no matter what time it is.

As of April when we sailed on her, the Veendam lower promenade walking deck was non-smoking--signs posted on exit doors, no ashtrays.

Do you remember what cabin number? Were the cabin lights on when you looked in? I ask because we were on the Veendam in 2006 and Maasdam in 2004 and 2005. All these cabins were on the LP deck and each time DH and I checked the window when we embarked and during daytime could see absolutely nothing - and we really tried hard. With the negative I'm reading about the Veendam I wasn't happy reading your comment. Maybe we'll get lucky. Thank you for confirming there is no smoking on that deck!!

Edited by Linda&Vern