changing guarantee room assignment

AMommyof2

DH and I booked a last minute interior guarantee on the Sky....2 rooms to accomodate our family of 4. We received our room assignments and I'm afraid the noise level will be awful. One room is immediately beside the elevator and the other across the hall next to the stairs. Has anyone had any luck having room assignments changed?

When you take a GTY you get leftovers. They usually won't do much for you and they may be pretty full. When you check in go to guest services and see if there are any unsold cabins if you think you want to change cabins.

NCL states that there are no changes to GTY assignments (but they still have the right to do so If needed, just like with other cabins but that is very, very rare). Only sure way to change to a better cabin is to pay for an upgrade to higher cabin category that is not GTY - but if you wait until onboard, chances for changes are usually pretty low.

When someone buys GTY, the agree to take any cabin that is assigned to them. That is part of the deal. I am confused.

BUT - we have been near elevator and stairs. Really not that noisy in our experience. Others can chime in, but I really do not recall complaints about that after people have stayed there (only before they go).

BUT - we have been near elevator and stairs. Really not that noisy in our experience. Others can chime in, but I really do not recall complaints about that after people have stayed there (only before they go).

I have to agree with this. In 2012, we stayed in one of the new family suites on Star and we could see the fwd elevator lobby from our peephole - the lobby where almost half of people coming/going to/from sun deck passed through. Yes, we could sometimes hear people passing by talk or laugh so loud that i could be heard inside the cabin -- but it was very random and never loud enough to truly bother us.

I've had much more problems with noise for example having a cabin under the pool deck or above the theatre.

You can change your mind about the GTY and tell NCL you want to pay full price and pick your own cabin. If there are still cabins available, they will let you pay and pick your own. If you want to keep the gty price, you will have to stay in the assigned rooms.

I have to agree with this. In 2012, we stayed in one of the new family suites on Star and we could see the fwd elevator lobby from our peephole - the lobby where almost half of people coming/going to/from sun deck passed through. Yes, we could sometimes hear people passing by talk or laugh so loud that i could be heard inside the cabin -- but it was very random and never loud enough to truly bother us.

I've had much more problems with noise for example having a cabin under the pool deck or above the theatre.

In general, our staterooms near stairs and elevators have not been noisy. And they certainly are convenient.

The exception for us was a family suite on the Star between elevator and pool deck; we did get hallway noise then. So on our cruise it was noisy whilw on Demonyte's it was quiet. That shows that it is luikely more about fellow passengers than about your stateroom. That cruise on the Star was perchance coincided with some college spring breaks. We had lots of young adults having lots of fun...many of them were higher volume than the average cruiser.

So, to the OP: I would not worry about being close to stairs or elevators. If you have subdued neighbors, your cabins will be quiet. If your fellow passengers along your hallway (or next door!) are noisy, you will hear them (whether you are close to elevators or not). Gty assignments are luck of the draw; so are neighbors. If you are noise sensitive pack ear plugs and/or white noise machine no matter what your cabin.

But, OP, if you really want to change locations, look at prices of an assigned category with a cabin you'd like. Are you willing to pay the difference between the price of the desired cabin and the price you already paid for your gty? If so call your TA (if you used one) or NCL (if you did not), and ask to upgrade...have your credit card in hand....

In my experience, so long as you aren't on the same floor (or same floor, but opposite side of the ship) as the kids club it isn't that bad.

If those nearby stairs lead only to cabins it should be quiet enough. I'd rather be near quiet stairs than under a noisier portion of the pool deck.

If you booked through a Travel agent, contact them...It is possible for them to go in and change room assignemnts, but they can not increase the category that was assigned.

As an FYI, TA's cannot change GTY's. Only NCL. Otherwise, everyone would call their TA, tell them to book a GTY and then ask them to assign the room of your choice. NCL does GTY's as a way of filling/balancing the load on rooms.

If you booked through a Travel agent, contact them...It is possible for them to go in and change room assignemnts, but they can not increase the category that was assigned.
Was this for an NCL cruise? Or was it a different cruiseline?

On other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean and Princess), I have been allowed to swap my gty assigned cabin for an available one in the exact same category (this only happens if (a) any are available and (b) an available one is an improvement in my opinion). I felt fortunate each and every time that happened, as I know gty's being luck of the draw, those cruiselines were being kind to allow the swap. However, I was under that NCL does not allow such swaps. If so, though different from some other cruiselines, that is totally NCL's perogative.

In my experience, so long as you aren't on the same floor (or same floor, but opposite side of the ship) as the kids club it isn't that bad.

If those nearby stairs lead only to cabins it should be quiet enough. I'd rather be near quiet stairs than under a noisier portion of the pool deck.

I was actually adjacent to a crew hallway that was the only buffer between me and the kids club (about the width of 5 cabins) and we had NO issues with noise.