Beware

kruisey

Hi Mike and all,

We are booked on this cruise. However, we are booked with a GTY mini-suite and I'd really rather had a cabin assignment. Will you share the name of your TA who has cabins for this cruise?

Hi Mike and all,

We are booked on this cruise. However, we are booked with a GTY mini-suite and I'd really rather had a cabin assignment. Will you share the name of your TA who has cabins for this cruise?

Rules of Cruise Critic do not allow this.

After a lot of thought and discussion we decided to cancel our booking for the 50 year anniversary cruise for the following reasons:

We thought the cruise was overpriced compared to other Mexico cruises.

While not having sailed on Pacific or Ocean Princess I think we prefer Grand class or bigger. We have enjoyed cruises on the Coral, Island, Dawn, and Sea, but I think that is about as small as we want to get.

We already have a booking for a TA from St. Petersburg on the Regal in September, 2015, so this would be stretching things.

Finally, we have only been cruising on Princess for about ten years so don't feel part of Princess history. I think we felt uncomfortable about the prospect of hearing people's recollections of the past. While we watched the Love Boat, we don't have any nostalgia for it.

So, I think this is the right decision for us.

What's so special about this cruise anyway? The current Pacific is NOT the original love boat. We took two long cruises on the original Pacific - nice ship but the cabins were tiny and the swimming pool was a joke.

Thank you kruisey for starting this thread. I learned a lot of useful information. I am glad you will be on the cruise with us.

Whiterose if you are asking the question then you don't understand the excitement most of us feel about being on the 50th Anniversary cruise. I know some people are calling it the Love Boat cruise but that is wrong. It is the one and only anniversary cruise to celebrate 50 years of Princess cruising. Those of us who love Princess want to be a part of that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by AZaTaz

Thank you kruisey for starting this thread. I learned a lot of useful information. I am glad you will be on the cruise with us.

Whiterose if you are asking the question then you don't understand the excitement most of us feel about being on the 50th Anniversary cruise. I know some people are calling it the Love Boat cruise but that is wrong. It is the one and only anniversary cruise to celebrate 50 years of Princess cruising. Those of us who love Princess want to be a part of that.

Charley and/or Evelyn - So surprised to see you here!

We are on the Equinox and Eclipse with you next year.

We also love Princess but , unfortunately, will not be on the 50th anniversary cruise with all of you.

We love the small princess ships and the Pacific is the only one we have yet to sail on. I think you will have a fabulous, very special, experience!

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Charley and/or Evelyn - So surprised to see you here!

We are on the Equinox and Eclipse with you next year.

We also love Princess but , unfortunately, will not be on the 50th anniversary cruise with all of you.

We love the small princess ships and the Pacific is the only one we have yet to sail on. I think you will have a fabulous, very special, experience!

I can't wait to hear all about it!

You have caught us Karen & Allen we are two timing Princess on Celebrity. Lol. We have never sailed on a small ship but could not pass this cruise up. We think we will like the small ship but you will have to tell us about your experience on one of our cruises in February. We booked first day first minute it opened. You should join us.

Edited by AZaTaz

We'd love to go but we promised our kids and grand kids ( all 15 of them :eek:) that we'd take them on a Christmas/New years cruise in 2015 . Unless we win the lottery that will preclude a cruise the week before for us. :(

After a lot of thought and discussion we decided to cancel our booking for the 50 year anniversary cruise for the following reasons:

While not having sailed on Pacific or Ocean Princess I think we prefer Grand class or bigger. We have enjoyed cruises on the Coral, Island, Dawn, and Sea, but I think that is about as small as we want to get.

We already have a booking for a TA from St. Petersburg on the Regal in September, 2015, so this would be stretching things.

Finally, we have only been cruising on Princess for about ten years so don't feel part of Princess history. I think we felt uncomfortable about the prospect of hearing people's recollections of the past. While we watched the Love Boat, we don't have any nostalgia for it.

It was due to 'The Love Boat' that it was my dream to sail With Princess.After being on the original ship for the day in harbor at the time the TV show was being shot it was a thrilling day experience for myself and 5 workers.

As soon has I retired in 2001 I booked Princess and in October will be my 22 cruise with them.I have never cruised with another cruise line and am thrilled to bits to have at last been able to book this very special cruise......:D

Edited by kruisey

We'd love to go but we promised our kids and grand kids ( all 15 of them :eek:) that we'd take them on a Christmas/New years cruise in 2015 . Unless we win the lottery that will preclude a cruise the week before for us. :(

Cruising with family is very special, enjoy

For a 14-day cruise on a little girl, this cruise was actually priced very well indeed (even before my TA did her wizardry). As someone who constantly drools over the little girls' fantastic but financially-out-of-reach-for-me itineraries, I do think that you missed a bargain.

Of course, if you suspect going in that you won't enjoy a small ship, it's no bargain at all. And your TA from St. Petersburg is awesome; I've looked longingly at that one, myself, not least for the opportunity to spend more time in Russia pre-cruise. Would that those dates worked for me . . .

That said, I myself certainly hope not to spend my 14 days onboard this cruise listening to other peoples' reminiscencies -- now that does sound dire! I hope to read 20+ books and get a killer tan. And maybe meet Gopher.

That said, I myself certainly hope not to spend my 14 days onboard this cruise listening to other peoples' reminiscencies

That's precisely why I am going on this cruise!:) The pax list so far is full of absolutely fascinating people! billco, you probably made someone happy who was waiting for a cancellation.

At 51 I'm fairly young for a cruiser but I've enjoyed hearing the stories of the good old days from people who took transatlantic liners in the 1930s. I also started cruising with Princess relatively recently although now I'm Elite by anyone's standard. I don't think it's necessary that you have cruised with Captain Steubing to be on this trip and perhaps one day I'll tell stories of this voyage to others on the 75th anniversary voyage.

Each to his own

Edited by Wehwalt

No seriously I just want to know more about this cruise. How did you find out about it? Special invitation only? We have nearly 400 days on Princess going back 18 years and nobody told us about it. The Princess website just says "pricing not available" but does not give any extra details.

No seriously I just want to know more about this cruise. How did you find out about it? Special invitation only? We have nearly 400 days on Princess going back 18 years and nobody told us about it. The Princess website just says "pricing not available" but does not give any extra details.

Cruise was in an April 23, 2014 Press Release.

"On the opposite coast, four ships will be deployed from three homeports – Los Angeles, San Francisco and Vancouver – to the tropical waters of Hawaii, Mexico and along the charming California coast.

A nostalgic 50th Anniversary cruise to Mexico, where the line first sailed, will take place on Pacific Princess departing December 3, 2015 - the same day Princess Patricia departed on its first-ever cruise in 1965. The itinerary will include a blend of some ports of call from the maiden itinerary such as an overnight call in Puerto Vallarta, as well as Mazatlán and Manzanillo, with some of our newer destinations including La Paz and Loreto located along the Baja Peninsula."

Edited by GeeDunk

I also missed finding out about this cruise which I explained earlier on this thread.

Spent a whole day going through all the TA's on the web and managed by late afternoon to get a' guarantee' from a big organization which handles ,Air,land package,s plus own a large cruise agent group.

If you have the same interest I wish you sincerely happy hunting.Some stated 'Wait List' though advise given me I was told that was not the way to go. Kruisey:)

There was a thread on Cruise critic about it once it was announced. I think all of us who intended to jump in at the first minute and grab the cabin of our choice carefully avoided discussing it so as not to encourage competition

Edited by Wehwalt

After the official announcement from Princess was released, our regular TA sent out an email telling us about the cruise and when it would be available. We responded that we wanted to book when cabins became available. Within hours of the opening, we had our room.

My cruise partner read about it in a travel article 3 weeks before it went on sail. The article said it would go on sail a week before it did. We were on the phone with Princess to reserve our spot but were told it would be a week later. Needless to say I was on the phone with Princess a few minutes before and the nice lady said let me guess you want to book the 50th Anniversary Cruise. She told me the phones had been ringing off the hook with people wanting to book that cruise. We never said any thing on the forums until after we had our cabin. We set back and watched the price of our cabin go up $500 over the next few days. So glad we are cruise information junkies.

I pushed my husband to book this cruise because we wanted to experience Princess. We enjoyed the mid size Oceania Riveria and so many CC people that we clicked with loved Princess, that we felt like Princess may be the perfect fit for us. I am 54 and LOVED the Love Boat tv show.

We have only done the one cruise but hope to be able to cruise for many, many years to come. We will enjoy people's stories, and hope to create some new stories and make new friends with those who know Princess inside and out!

Just because we don't have any memories of Princess' first 50 years doesn't mean we can't celebrate with those that do! I don't think Matt and I will be like fish out of water! I feel blessed and lucky to have stumbled across this cruise while reading emails one morning early in June. I called the on-line TA agency who sends out e-mail blasts. The agent I got said , "oh, no need to hurry to book today, it's so far out". I asked him to check the cabin availability anyway, just to humor me. He did, and came back with, "oh my, I was wrong, we only have two guarantee MC mini suites left" . I didn't even bother to check with Matt, I just pulled out our credit card! Never have done a guarantee, but I know all will turn out marvelously!!

I found out from this forum and then I didn't find out until1 June. There were only oceanviews left on the princess website so I booked on the website as I was in Hong Kong at the time travelling. And then I watched the cabins availability and there were cabins available for about a week after on the site.

For a 14-day cruise on a little girl, this cruise was actually priced very well indeed (even before my TA did her wizardry). As someone who constantly drools over the little girls' fantastic but financially-out-of-reach-for-me itineraries, I do think that you missed a bargain.

Of course, if you suspect going in that you won't enjoy a small ship, it's no bargain at all. And your TA from St. Petersburg is awesome; I've looked longingly at that one, myself, not least for the opportunity to spend more time in Russia pre-cruise. Would that those dates worked for me . . .

That said, I myself certainly hope not to spend my 14 days onboard this cruise listening to other peoples' reminiscencies -- now that does sound dire! I hope to read 20+ books and get a killer tan. And maybe meet Gopher.

I agree about the pricing. I thought it was very good for what I paid for solo in oceanview on a little ship which I have yet to experience. I can't access the cheap pricing that Americans get when the cruiseline discounts Mexico cruises. I've never been to Mexico before so 14 day cruise is perfect.