OMG... Another birth certificate question

tragicdesign

I feel like such a noob, but I swear I've done this before.

So on the main Carnival FAQ page, it has this to say about birth certificates: Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

However, after you book, it says this: Birth Certificate MUST be from the Department of Vital Statistics and a government-issued photo ID will also be required for all guests ages 16 and over.

My birth certificate does not say Department of Vital Statistics, but rather says Department of Public Health. I don't think California even has a Department of Vital Statistics and these services just fall under the Department of Public Health. I should point out that this copy of my birth certificate was used to get my passport originally.

I'm sure I am just worrying about nothing and everything will be OK. Any thoughts?

I am never going to let my passport expire again. I am setting a calendar reminder as soon as I get my new one!

Edited by tragicdesign

It's fine, the correct department has various names in each state and is not necessary called "vital statistics" even though it handles the vital statistics. Carnival is just trying to make sure you bring the document issued by the appropriate government department rather than bringing a Hospital issued paper.

How expired is your passport?

If it is less than 15 years old you can still renew it . . . by mail ...

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/renew.html

still need a certain to be correct birth certificate? This is where the State Department refers you . .

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm

for CA

Event: Birth

Cost of copy: $25.00

Address:

CA Department of Public Health - Vital Records

MS: 5103

P.O. Box 997410

Sacramento, CA 95899-7410

Edited by Capt_BJ

I don't think you need a birth certificate to RENEW a passport.

that is correct, my answer was in form of an OR rather than an AND

can you renew?

if yes, they are done

if NO

here's where to get a 'for sure good' BC . . .

to renew by mail all you need is your old passport, a new picture, the form and a check

Edited by Capt_BJ

Any state issued BC is fine....vital or health dept...doesn't matter.

Birth Certificates are issued by City and Town Halls in my state. I was born in City of ******** and it is City of ****** that provided my B/C, not Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Likely your post is incorrect as applies to a number of states.

Edited by sail7seas

Birth Certificates are issued by City and Town Halls in my state. I was born in City of ******** and it is City of ****** that provided my B/C, not Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Likely your post is incorrect as applies to a number of states.

In our state the County issues the birth certificates. We had to go to the county clerk/registrar's office to get BCs for our kids when we got their passports.

Thanks for all the responses! I am renewing my passport, but USPS lost track of it for a week (even though it was sent traceable...) so now it looks it won't arrive in time.

In California I can get an official copy of the birth certificate from the CA department of public health, but that would take four weeks. I can also get a copy from the county recorders office the same day, just for $28.

The original copy of the birth certificate was cut strangely when the state/county gave it to my mom, so just to be safe I will get a new copy today.

Edited by tragicdesign

In our state the County issues the birth certificates. We had to go to the county clerk/registrar's office to get BCs for our kids when we got their passports.

THat is my point.

It is not the same in all states.

One poster indicated it had to be state issued but it varies.

Perhaps the websites should change it to say "as dictated by the state, country, region, continent in which you currently reside as a citizen or claim citizenship...."

Or they could shorten it to read the 'governmental authority that issues birth certificates' in the place where you were born. That would work, wouldn't it?

OP

Thanks for all the responses! I am renewing my passport, but USPS lost track of it for a week (even though it was sent traceable...) so now it looks it won't arrive in time.

Did you sign up for e-mail notification of status? IME this was MUCH more accurate than what the status you can access on line was. It will tell you the day your renewed passport is mailed and note that 'regular' processing now includes Priority Mail for the return so you should get it quickly once processed.

see: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/application-status.html

to sign up for e-mail status alerts, go thru the process to 'check status' and they will then ask if you want to sign up for e-mail alerts. I rec'd an e-mail telling me mine was mailed days b4 the online status reflected it was finished. End to end I got my renewal in 17 days . . . just recently.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 4 weeks later...