Printer Paper at Oceania@Sea

harryw

I went to the computers on the Marina last Friday to print out my airline boarding passes around 2:00 PM. The printer ran out of paper, and the Internet Manager was not scheduled to go on duty until 4:00 PM. Fellow passengers were irate. I phoned Reception and was told that that the Internet Manager had the paper locked away, and that no one else on the ship could provide any! One passenger scrounged up a few sheets from someone else on Deck 5, but otherwise I had to return after 4 PM. (Ironically, so much paper us wasted by all of the paper inserts left in the cabin daily.)

I went to the computers on the Marina last Friday to print out my airline boarding passes around 2:00 PM. The printer ran out of paper, and the Internet Manager was not scheduled to go on duty until 4:00 PM. Fellow passengers were irate. I phoned Reception and was told that that the Internet Manager had the paper locked away, and that no one else on the ship could provide any! One passenger scrounged up a few sheets from someone else on Deck 5, but otherwise I had to return after 4 PM. (Ironically, so much paper us wasted by all of the paper inserts left in the cabin daily.)

The internet is not run by O but rather another company and the person is not an O employee. I can bet however if you had gone down to reception and asked nicely they would have provided a sheet of paper to you.

I don't think that there can be very much difference in our ages, Harry, but if you will pardon my saying so, PAPER BOARDING PASSES are SO last century, and if you are travelling with any amount of luggage at all, I can't see why you take the time and trouble to print them out at all-

I stopped bothering with them five or eight years ago.

Edited by JimandStan

I went to the computers on the Marina last Friday to print out my airline boarding passes around 2:00 PM. The printer ran out of paper, and the Internet Manager was not scheduled to go on duty until 4:00 PM. Fellow passengers were irate.

That is incredible... and totally unacceptable.

Out of paper! ...and had to wait TWO hours for a refill?

I do hope you complained about this in detail on your post-cruise survey.

That is why I travel with a ream of blank paper... just in case.

...but I wouldn't expect to have to do that on a luxury line.

I trust the rest of the cruise was better.

:cool:

That is incredible... and totally unacceptable.

Out of paper! ...and had to wait TWO hours for a refill?

I do hope you complained about this in detail on your post-cruise survey.

That is why I travel with a ream of blank paper... just in case.

...but I wouldn't expect to have to do that on a luxury line.

I trust the rest of the cruise was better.

:cool:

Some people get upset about missing paper while others get upset about missing soccer games ;)

At least he didn't compare it to having a heart attack :D

Some people get upset about missing paper while others get upset about missing soccer games ;)

At least he didn't compare it to having a heart attack :D

First, no World cup...then no paper! What next?

This is why Cruise critic is so valuable.

In this case, though, he could have printed on the blank sides of the Art Auction notices that appear in your cabin.

Missing World Cup soccer is still as serious as.... toe fungus. :o

I see no reason to mock other peoples concerns.

Not everyone is as worldly, technical or as refined as many posters on the board.

It clearly made an impact on the OP as this is the item they chose to post about from their cruise. An example of last impression being the lasting impression.

While to me too sitting at home it seems over the top to have so much angst for the want of some paper but last minute feeling the pressure of believing one must print their boarding pass or face the unknown wrath of airline boarding 'rules' is understandable especially when fuelled by others in the same boat.

I see no reason to mock other peoples concerns.

Not everyone is as worldly, technical or as refined as many posters on the board.

This is a far cry from "mock." It deserves levity.

One does not need to be worldly, technical or refined to go ask at Guest Services for a few sheets of paper..or to go to the Future Cruise office and steal a few sheets of paper...or ask the CD for some blanks sheets from his/her printer, etc.

As well as... you know, at curbside checking, they can print the very same boarding passes for you... no need for onboard angst. :p

I must say that we had a wonderful cruise! In the scheme of things, this was ultimately a minor inconvenience, (incomparable to when Oceania blacked out the Super Bowl 2 years ago on my cruise) but I can't speak for the other frustrated passengers that were doing online flight check in. One passenger who was granted a few sheets of paper still couldn't print his passes because of the backup in the printer queue. No one knew how to delete the queue.

I did have to check baggage, and actually don't know if the printed pass always expedites time at the airport. Maybe the printed pass is just a security blanket to me.

I gently complained to the Internet Manager upon his return. He gracefully apologized and said he neglected to add extra paper in the morning. But my ultimate point is the Oceania should have a Plan B when this scenario arises.

I gently complained to the Internet Manager upon his return. He gracefully apologized and said he neglected to add extra paper in the morning. But my ultimate point is the Oceania should have a Plan B when this scenario arises.

...and of course..you are correct.

Glad to see it didn't ruin the trip...

...and happy to hear that the other irate guests did not put the Captain and the breadfruit in a lifeboat over this. ;)

Edited by computerworks

..and happy to hear that the other irate guests did not put the Captain and the breadfruit in a lifeboat over this.

What a fabulous reference!

160px-Mutiny_bounty_5.jpg

Literary, cinematic, nautical and faintly letigious, all at once.....you are a genius. :D

And they still charge 0.25 per copy!!!!

I have not yet sailed with Oceania, so I am asking in all seriousness - Is this true? If yes, how exactly is this done? Is it billed at the end of the cruise? We will have a complimentary Internet account onboard for our cruise and sitting at home it hadn't occurred to me that if I needed to print something out there in the world that it would be an extra charge.

I think that I was billed automatically to my shipboard account. This is the only instance I know of Oceania "nickel and diming." If the paper jams with no Manager present, there is a tribunal to review appeals.

Well, I guess it's one thing if you have an internet account and want to print out a few pages. It's another if you want to print out something from your laptop (as I nearly needed to do on our recent cruise).

I could see waiving the quarter fee per page when you have a package but NOT when it's something else. Then again, that gets difficult in deciding which piece of paper qualifies for exemption.

I've never had a problem with paying the quarter. The ship has the toner expense and the paper expense. My law office charged a lot more than that for copies and faxes, and that's going back about 15 years.

Mura

most airports have the machines now where you can print your boarding pass & baggage tags

some encourage people to use them

I had printed off my passes then when we got to the check in counter they just print new ones so why waste my time & $ printing them :(

I still do the online check in 24 hrs prior though

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I had printed off my passes then when we got to the check in counter they just print new ones so why waste my time & $ printing them :(

I still do the online check in 24 hrs prior though

Lyn

Agreed.

Airlines will not accept your printed BP as a valid BP for international flights. You will get a new one from the machine or the counter.

Southwest will accept your printed BP - but that's a different story.

Edited by Paulchili