Ruby Princess British Isles Cruise: Detailed Review

tourismtessy

FINALLY I have something positive happening here! The link attachment worked and I loaded the pics from Paris over on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.489335567876740.1073741836.219749854835314&type=3&uploaded=42

Here is the link to the London Pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.487553724721591.1073741835.219749854835314&type=3

Amazing account of your cruise..............really enjoyed it and appreciate all the time and effort put into it!

Would you be able to post the Princess Patters from your cruise? Would like to see those..........Thnx:)

FINALLY I have something positive happening here! The link attachment worked and I loaded the pics from Paris over on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.489335567876740.1073741836.219749854835314&type=3&uploaded=42

Here is the link to the London Pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.487553724721591.1073741835.219749854835314&type=3

Your pictures are great:). Sorry you didn't get a chance to go inside Notre Dame. As a previous poster stated there is just too much to see in Paris in only one day (including transportation to and from Le Havre). I would recommend a pre-cruise (or post if possible) stay. We did a two day pre-cruise stay in Paris prior to our T/A on the Ruby in 2009. While we didn't go in the Cathedral, we had plenty of time to have dinner in the Eiffel Tower, a night time cruise on the Seine, and see a Moulan Rouge show.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Question: You had to go back to the airport to get your Princess Cruise Transfer? Were they not able to pick you up at your hotel?

It's been a few years, but some friends of ours used a Princess transfer from London, but they had to go to the Victoria Coach Station to get their transfer. (They didn't book their London hotel as a package, they booked it themselves.) This is the same place we picked up our National Express coach to Southampton. Of course we didn't get delivered directly to the dock, we had to pay approx 7GBP for a taxi from the Southampton Coach Station to the port.

Question: You had to go back to the airport to get your Princess Cruise Transfer? Were they not able to pick you up at your hotel?

The Princess Transfer to the ship is from the Airport only--NO hotel pick up. It would be very inconvenient and time consuming for the coaches to provide door to door hotel pick up. It really isn't a big deal (to me) to just get back to the airport and get the transport there. We used the HOPPA bus service from the Marriott (basically an airport shuttle) that runs consistently and you wait no more than 15 minutes. It was 4 british pounds each and they dropped us right at the terminal where we just walked in and met the Princess Rep.

;)

Sorry, looks like my post about the review not getting started was removed. I meant no harm.

I agree that it's unfortunate cruise lines lead passengers to believe Le Havre is Paris. The best way to see Paris with this itinerary is to begin your vacation by flying to Paris and spending a few days there. When the cruise begins, just take the two hour Eurostar train from Paris to London, before making the transfer to Southampton. Sorry to hear about your tour and hope you get to Paris and get into the Notre Dame, but also enjoy the city at night, take an elevator up the Eiffel Tower, see the Louvre, the Orsay, Montmartre, cruise on the Seine, see the Opera building, and even get to Versailles.

The Princess British Isles itinerary is decent, but not as a means to see Paris. Also, I believed the best port was Edinburgh and that deserves more than the few hours you get with this itinerary. They could dump Cobh and Inverness and spend days elsewhere. We still enjoyed the cruise. There is plenty to see on it. I also believe that these cruises give you a taste or just a glimpse of these cities and ports and leave it up to you to decide whether to invest more time on a future land trip. It sounds like you are excited from your trip and enjoyed it. We leave in a week for the St Petersburg and Baltic itinerary. My lesson learned from British Isles is that these port intensive longer Princess itineraries have hits and misses. I'm hoping for more Edinburghs and less Cobhs and Invernesses.

Oh, I hoped you liked the Ruby. It's our favorite Princess ship.

Looking forward to more of your review.

No worries! Just to be funny (cuz I always think of the best comeback a day late)--I said "detailed" review---NOT fast and timely review--haha! Detailed is quite the opposite and more my style. Anyway, we move on now and no hard feelings around the table.:cool:

I completely agree with your take on all the ports. Edinburgh was my favorite and Hubby wasn't feeling too great that day so he stayed on the ship. I went in via the local city bus alone and when I stepped off in the heart of the city, I felt like I had been transported to a Disney Movie where all the Princesses live! It was beyond stunning---like I was actually breathless AND speechless! I definitely plan to go back and hang out in that fabulous city for at least a week. I can't wait to share on that (pictures).

The Ruby is our favorite Princess ship too. We were on the Emerald for the Transatlantic from Venice in Oct 08 and fell in love with it AND the great 5 days at Sea after a 9 day port intensive stretch. We both LOVE our sea days. We have sailed on the Ruby the past few years, doing the same Eastern Caribbean Itinerary (that we love). It feels like coming home now when we step on her :-)

Hubby and I definitely plan to go back to London and spend at least a week and just taking the train to Paris for a day or two (with our own agenda). I do want to be there at night to really capture the essence of the Eiffel Tower. Plus, I would love to see all the Museums and Galleries. He has the "been there, done that" attitude about Paris but loved London and Scotland enough to want to go back.

I look at itineraries like this as a sampler plate. Appetizers (or as I say "Appeteaser") just to get your mouth watering and wanting more! Its a great way to see and sample a LOT of cities in a short time. Cruising is the BEST way to maximize this (with the whole unpack only once and wake up somewhere new each day). It gives us an opportunity to see where we want to go back and spend more time.

I am envious of your St Petersburg/Baltic trip!!! Every single person we talked to said that was their favorite of ALL their cruises. I never even had it on my list and now it is at the top! Have a SUPER TRIP and let us all know how it was when you get back home!

Thanks for all your great suggestions here. I appreciate the time it takes to not only write these comments, but the research (and memory retrieval) involved:D

The Princess Transfer to the ship is from the Airport only--NO hotel pick up. It would be very inconvenient and time consuming for the coaches to provide door to door hotel pick up. It really isn't a big deal (to me) to just get back to the airport and get the transport there. We used the HOPPA bus service from the Marriott (basically an airport shuttle) that runs consistently and you wait no more than 15 minutes. It was 4 british pounds each and they dropped us right at the terminal where we just walked in and met the Princess Rep.

The transfer is from Victoria Coach Station as well. At least I hope so, that is what we have booked.

I also read somewhere if you book your hotel through Princess they pick you up at your hotel. However, the later I am not sure of.

Excellent review, enjoy it very much.

Theo

;)

No worries! Just to be funny (cuz I always think of the best comeback a day late)--I said "detailed" review---NOT fast and timely review--haha! Detailed is quite the opposite and more my style. Anyway, we move on now and no hard feelings around the table.:cool:

I completely agree with your take on all the ports. Edinburgh was my favorite and Hubby wasn't feeling too great that day so he stayed on the ship. I went in via the local city bus alone and when I stepped off in the heart of the city, I felt like I had been transported to a Disney Movie where all the Princesses live! It was beyond stunning---like I was actually breathless AND speechless! I definitely plan to go back and hang out in that fabulous city for at least a week. I can't wait to share on that (pictures).

The Ruby is our favorite Princess ship too. We were on the Emerald for the Transatlantic from Venice in Oct 08 and fell in love with it AND the great 5 days at Sea after a 9 day port intensive stretch. We both LOVE our sea days. We have sailed on the Ruby the past few years, doing the same Eastern Caribbean Itinerary (that we love). It feels like coming home now when we step on her :-)

Hubby and I definitely plan to go back to London and spend at least a week and just taking the train to Paris for a day or two (with our own agenda). I do want to be there at night to really capture the essence of the Eiffel Tower. Plus, I would love to see all the Museums and Galleries. He has the "been there, done that" attitude about Paris but loved London and Scotland enough to want to go back.

I look at itineraries like this as a sampler plate. Appetizers (or as I say "Appeteaser") just to get your mouth watering and wanting more! Its a great way to see and sample a LOT of cities in a short time. Cruising is the BEST way to maximize this (with the whole unpack only once and wake up somewhere new each day). It gives us an opportunity to see where we want to go back and spend more time.

I am envious of your St Petersburg/Baltic trip!!! Every single person we talked to said that was their favorite of ALL their cruises. I never even had it on my list and now it is at the top! Have a SUPER TRIP and let us all know how it was when you get back home!

Thanks for all your great suggestions here. I appreciate the time it takes to not only write these comments, but the research (and memory retrieval) involved:D

Too bad about your husband and Edinburgh. I love that place and your characterization of it is pretty good. I can't seem to find Mass market cruise lines that do overnights there. I could go to Paris again and again and will next summer, but just combined land with London. Not sure what my issue is with London. I can't connect with it like so many others do.

Baltic / St Petersburg is worth getting excited about, but I loved our 12-day Grand Med on the Ruby. We also agree on that Eastern Med itinerary, although we did it on the Crown in 09.

I am looking forward to the rest of your review. I can be patient, but we're flying to Amsterdam on Wednesday night.

It's been a few years, but some friends of ours used a Princess transfer from London, but they had to go to the Victoria Coach Station to get their transfer. (They didn't book their London hotel as a package, they booked it themselves.) This is the same place we picked up our National Express coach to Southampton. Of course we didn't get delivered directly to the dock, we had to pay approx 7GBP for a taxi from the Southampton Coach Station to the port.

For our August British Isles cruise on the Ruby Princess, our only option for the Princess transfer is to go to Victoria Coach Station (we booked our own hotel). Fortunately, we have arranged with others on our roll call to share a van from Woodford Chauffeur Cars for pick up at our hotels and direct to Southampton.

I can't seem to find Mass market cruise lines that do overnights there.

One option do a cruise during the Tattoo and go to Edinburgh from Greenock for the day, do the Tattoo and return to the ship late(most do late departure for the Tattoo).

Azamara do 24hr overnight in Aug 10.

Ocean princess overnights Aug 8 and 13 with longer days

There are others but probably never heard of them.

http://www.forthportscruise.com/schedule-of-ship-visits-2014.asp

next year

Ocean is overnighting again.

Royal does the tattoo from Greenock

Azamara(and a few other smaller ships) Embark Edinburgh.

I am sorry that you did not have a good day in Paris. I would have been devastated, too. Our experience (British Isles-May 2012 same as Delorean Girl) on that excursion was different: We had longer time at the Trocadero plaza overlooking the Eiffel Tower. And even though we had a delay at the circle heading onto the Champs Elysees (a car rammed our bus); we were able to walk right into Notre Dame. The line just moved right on in.

The British Isles cruise is just a "taste" of the places. We did not have enough time at our favorite ports so we returned the next May: Saw London, spent 2 nights in Paris, and 2 nights in Edinburgh. Now I am satisfied.

I know everyone has their own preferences, but I liked Inverness. We toured the battlefield visitor center, and saw a 'airy 'eeland coo (hairy Highland cow). Had a wonderful meal overlooking Loch Ness, a cruise on the Loch, time to explore the Urqardt Castle ruins, and to shop at two shops with quality (not tacky) merchandise. And we drove through some lovely scenery. We arrived at Inverness on a Sunday.

We stayed at a Premier Inn at Heathrow. Nice accommodations, with very reasonable rates and good food. Best of all it was a pick up location for the International Friends transfer to Southampton with a tour of Stonehenge on the way. I found out about this wonderful option on the London Toolkit website.

If you book your hotel thru Princess it includes transfer to the hotel on your arrival date (even if you arrive days before your cruise) and transfer from your hotel to the port on embarkation day. I have done this several times. Princess chosen hotels have always been centrally located. They are costly, however, it is easy and worry free.

Following your thread - we leave on the 31st July so I have a whole month if you wish to stretch it out.

We are doing London per-cruise at Marriott and getting off ship in Le Havre for Paris post cruise for 5 days at Marriott in Latin Quarter. We are doing a train from Le Havre to Paris.

We have been on Ruby and her twin the Crown a few times so will not be wasting any time getting use to the ship.

Enjoying your FB shots.

J & J - Halifax Canada

OOPS! Just played around with sizing and after reading it realized it might look like I am NOW YELLING AT YOU! I will go down to a 4 and see if that is better :o

Honestly, bear with me---I didn't mean to yell--honest mistake and I will keep practicing till I get it right. Maybe the third time will be my charm:cool:

You're not yelling!! lol..... looks great & easy to read. Thanks....;)

Janice

We completely fell head over heels in LOVE with everything Scotland and have definitive plans to go back. Besides the absolute stunning natural beauty that surrounds you, the beauty of the people and their pride for their country leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. When people ask me what my favorite port was, I can’t just pick one. I seriously LOVED them all. Today I will share on our first Scotland Port:

Edinburgh. We actually docked in South Queensferry, a lovely little town with shops, restaurants, restrooms, and views galore. I could have easily just wandered around the port area for a few hours and been satisfied. However, after reading Delorean Girls review and her comments on Edinburgh, I knew I HAD to go to this city. I originally was going to take the train but after research and discussion with the lovely local volunteers that greet you, I opted to take the local public bus round trip. I think it was about 3 pounds RT. I am all about saving every penny and so the round trip bus was the best choice FOR ME. I usually like to mix up my modes and routes and contemplated taking the bus into Edinburgh and the Train back, but settled on all bus. It was raining as I walked to the station (about a 10 minute walk, right down the street and near the Police Station) but I had my poncho on and my waterproof camera. So, no worries! There were a couple of locals and other cruise passengers at the bus stop waiting with me. Once on the bus, I sat in the very back (my favorite place to sit on buses) and chatted with the young couple next to me. They were from Montreal, Canada and touring the Country by themselves—on land—joined by some other family members. I love taking public transportation versus cruise line offered shuttles for this reason. The variety of people you meet, from locals to other travelers, is much more diverse. Also, the obvious reason and #1 benefit is the low cost.

It was about a 45 minute ride into the heart of Edinburgh and when I got off the bus, I literally stopped breathing. The high cliff/hill with the Castle on top was just too beautiful to be real. Only it WAS real! It was still kind of gray out but the rain had stopped. I stopped in a local coffee shop to get my bearings, review my map, and decide what I really wanted to see in my few hours. I was on foot and wanted to soak up as much of the streets scenes and parks and not waste precious time inside museums. I definitely want to go back and spend time seeing them, I just didn’t want to rush through them on my first trip.

I walked down a couple streets and then headed up the hill to the Castle. It started pouring and I threw the hood over my head and kept on going. I kind of enjoyed the downpour, it added to the mysterious charm of the city. The rain eventually stopped and I was able to get some nice pics without rain in them! I passed the Train Station as I walked back to the Bus Stop and saw how centrally located it was (I made a mental note of it for next time). An older gentleman was playing a bagpipe at the corner of the park and I stopped to listen and then chat with him a bit. I told him he looked like he could be George Clooneys brother. He laughed and said his Mom would be proud. We had a few minutes of fun chat and when I told him I was from Texas, he played a tune for me. It was a wonderful ending to a truly magical day. I did not want to go back to the ship but that is where my Hubby was so I didn’t have much choice-haha! I knew we would come back and that we would plan at least a week here. There are several Museums, Castles, Parks, and restaurants and we would not be bored. I could spend an entire week just sitting in the park below the Castle and staring at the views around me. Edinburgh is a definite MUST SEE!

Here is the link to my Facebook photo album of this day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490726374404326.1073741837.219749854835314&type=3&uploaded=126

Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities, too. And the people there are so pleasant and friendly -- they're the American Southerners of the UK, but blessedly free from the twin afflictions of big hair and sweet tea.

We completely fell head over heels in LOVE with everything Scotland and have definitive plans to go back. Besides the absolute stunning natural beauty that surrounds you, the beauty of the people and their pride for their country leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. When people ask me what my favorite port was, I can’t just pick one. I seriously LOVED them all. Today I will share on our first Scotland Port:

Edinburgh. We actually docked in South Queensferry, a lovely little town with shops, restaurants, restrooms, and views galore. I could have easily just wandered around the port area for a few hours and been satisfied. However, after reading Delorean Girls review and her comments on Edinburgh, I knew I HAD to go to this city. I originally was going to take the train but after research and discussion with the lovely local volunteers that greet you, I opted to take the local public bus round trip. I think it was about 3 pounds RT. I am all about saving every penny and so the round trip bus was the best choice FOR ME. I usually like to mix up my modes and routes and contemplated taking the bus into Edinburgh and the Train back, but settled on all bus. It was raining as I walked to the station (about a 10 minute walk, right down the street and near the Police Station) but I had my poncho on and my waterproof camera. So, no worries! There were a couple of locals and other cruise passengers at the bus stop waiting with me. Once on the bus, I sat in the very back (my favorite place to sit on buses) and chatted with the young couple next to me. They were from Montreal, Canada and touring the Country by themselves—on land—joined by some other family members. I love taking public transportation versus cruise line offered shuttles for this reason. The variety of people you meet, from locals to other travelers, is much more diverse. Also, the obvious reason and #1 benefit is the low cost.

It was about a 45 minute ride into the heart of Edinburgh and when I got off the bus, I literally stopped breathing. The high cliff/hill with the Castle on top was just too beautiful to be real. Only it WAS real! It was still kind of gray out but the rain had stopped. I stopped in a local coffee shop to get my bearings, review my map, and decide what I really wanted to see in my few hours. I was on foot and wanted to soak up as much of the streets scenes and parks and not waste precious time inside museums. I definitely want to go back and spend time seeing them, I just didn’t want to rush through them on my first trip.

I walked down a couple streets and then headed up the hill to the Castle. It started pouring and I threw the hood over my head and kept on going. I kind of enjoyed the downpour, it added to the mysterious charm of the city. The rain eventually stopped and I was able to get some nice pics without rain in them! I passed the Train Station as I walked back to the Bus Stop and saw how centrally located it was (I made a mental note of it for next time). An older gentleman was playing a bagpipe at the corner of the park and I stopped to listen and then chat with him a bit. I told him he looked like he could be George Clooneys brother. He laughed and said his Mom would be proud. We had a few minutes of fun chat and when I told him I was from Texas, he played a tune for me. It was a wonderful ending to a truly magical day. I did not want to go back to the ship but that is where my Hubby was so I didn’t have much choice-haha! I knew we would come back and that we would plan at least a week here. There are several Museums, Castles, Parks, and restaurants and we would not be bored. I could spend an entire week just sitting in the park below the Castle and staring at the views around me. Edinburgh is a definite MUST SEE!

Here is the link to my Facebook photo album of this day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490726374404326.1073741837.219749854835314&type=3&uploaded=126

GREAT images of Edinburgh! Can't wait!

Did you find this Hilton property centrally located and convenient? We are planning on going to London pre cruise in 2015 and are considering this hotel. We also would use points and have Diamond status. Thanks.

It was attached to one of the LHR terminals. It was convenient to check in. It was convenient to get to the underground. And it was convenient on embarkation morning to get to the Princess transportation.

It was attached to one of the LHR terminals. It was convenient to check in. It was convenient to get to the underground. And it was convenient on embarkation morning to get to the Princess transportation.

We stayed at this Hilton two years ago. Beware, only some of the rooms have airconditioning. Yes it is attached to Terminal 4 and an easy walk. However, last year and this year we are staying at the Hilton Terminal 5. It is much newer, all rooms have airlconditioning, the rooms are much nicer and the staff is much nicer. We fly overnight and when we got to the Hilton at Terminal 4, they made us wait for our room. In the Hilton at Terminal 5, they were very nice and got us into a room immediately. Just take the Hopper bus from the Terminal to the hotel.

Following your thread - we leave on the 31st July so I have a whole month if you wish to stretch it out.

We are doing London per-cruise at Marriott and getting off ship in Le Havre for Paris post cruise for 5 days at Marriott in Latin Quarter. We are doing a train from Le Havre to Paris.

We have been on Ruby and her twin the Crown a few times so will not be wasting any time getting use to the ship.

Enjoying your FB shots.

J & J - Halifax Canada

Is this wonderful review just for you?

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Teresa,

So excited to hear you were able to dock at South Queensferry. I never knew that was even an option! Do you know how many ships were I port that day? Maybe, just maybe our cruise will be able to also. (I'm on the 08/15 sailing) Can't wait to wander around Edinburgh again.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review!

Teresa,

So excited to hear you were able to dock at South Queensferry. I never knew that was even an option! Do you know how many ships were I port that day?

The Ocean Princess will be there that day also.

Teresa,

So excited to hear you were able to dock at South Queensferry. I never knew that was even an option! Do you know how many ships were I port that day? Maybe, just maybe our cruise will be able to also. (I'm on the 08/15 sailing) Can't wait to wander around Edinburgh again.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review!

Its a tender port,

small ships dock at Leith or Rosyth.

Edited by insidecabin