Recent Poor Reviews -Has Something Really Changed

dag144

I will be on a one week Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess leaving July 5th. This will be my seventh Princess cruise and my 50th cruise overall. I have always enjoyed cruising and really never have been disappointed with a single cruise. However, I have been reading recent reviews (June 2014) most of which have complaints about the ship. I know that one can read two reviews of the same cruise and get two very different impressions, but is the Caribbean Princess that far gone. Is that why she is doing one weekers out Fort Lauderdale this summer.

Love to here from you.

PS I suspect that I will thoroughly enjoy myself!

What wrong? Food? Rusted Balconies? What? The food is definetly not as good as a few years ago and the selections are quite limited. Normally only one desert per night unless you want sugar or gluten free.I will probably try another line after my upcoming British Isles cruise in august. The reviews of Celebrity seem to be up and down. Seaborn, Oceana and crystal would definetly be better but the cost is about 50% higher.

Edited by oskidunker

What wrong? Food? Rusted Balconies? What? The food is definetly not as good as a few years ago and the selections are quite limited. Normally only one desert per night unless you want sugar or gluten free.I will probably try another line after my upcoming British Isles cruise in august. The reviews of Celebrity seem to be up and down. Seaborn, Oceana and crystal would definetly be better but the cost is about 50% higher.

One dessert per night??? That's the first time I've ever heard that - there are 3 on the "anytime" menu alone...

Which kind of reinforces my response to the OP, you are just going to get too many different views and opinions in response to your question. I agree that cruising is not as it used to be 20 years ago, but it's also more affordable & widespread. I say go on your cruise and form your own opinions...

I'll take any cruise over no cruise... :D

I was on the Coral Princess less than four months ago and I had two desserts every night at dinner, except for the one night that I had three desserts!

I will be on a one week Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess leaving July 5th. This will be my seventh Princess cruise and my 50th cruise overall. I have always enjoyed cruising and really never have been disappointed with a single cruise. However, I have been reading recent reviews (June 2014) most of which have complaints about the ship. I know that one can read two reviews of the same cruise and get two very different impressions, but is the Caribbean Princess that far gone. Is that why she is doing one weekers out Fort Lauderdale this summer.

Love to here from you.

PS I suspect that I will thoroughly enjoy myself!

I sailed on Caribbean Princess last December and had a great cruise. She's doing summer cruises from Ft. Lauderdale this year because Princess has extra capacity in Europe with the debut of Regal Princess. Summer Caribbean cruises have been an on-again/off-again thing with Princess. Last time was 2-3 years ago and nothing next year.

Enjoy your cruise! Sounds like you have the right attitude. Oh, and there was a plethora of desserts offered on that cruise and my cruise on Star Princess last week.

Edited by RickEk

I know it is not the Caribbean P but there was a guy recently on the Golden that seemed to find issues with 99% of his cruise. He even wanted a smaller portions of mussels, you don't have to eat them all! Toilet paper is designed not to clog up the system! Hand sanitiser, I don't want to be on a norovirus ship thanks because some a..hole is to precious! Stern needed painting!

What Im saying is that some pax will find the most mundane things to bitch about no matter what ship or line. Okay, sometimes I get annoyed but then realise heh i'm on vacation and those unfortunates back home are still working!:) Then I'll find a bar and have a beer or 2. (Oh no the prices might have increased:rolleyes: how do I smuggle booze onboard? Tongue firmly in cheek:D)

I'm with Avcruz....any cruise over no cruise!

Enjoy your 50 plus cruise.

Paul

Sorry, there was one good desert per night on My canadian cruise last October. Two others were gluten free and sugar free. the always available menu has a cheesecake which has no taste, really bad, and the princess dream which was not very good at all, although this can vary and I would try it again. The Ice Cream is normally pretty good. Take your waiters advice when picking a desert.

I am up to 15 cruises. the Princess deserts used to be outstanding , not any more. Also You used to be able to order soufle every night. we say them maybe 2-3 times on a 10 day cruise. the one desert they had was usually pretty good but it would be nice to have a 2nd choice.

I do not ever remember seeing dessert soufflés on the menu every night?

I don think anyone mentioned the creme brûlée? For me, when they added that to the Always Available menu, that was nirvana. There are also a lot of nice desserts available in the international cafe for a late sweet and coffee.

I'm a Princess newbie so I'm thinking I will be pleasantly surprised on my 40th bday cruise in September on CB. The reviews have been kind of dismal but I don't care because most of the time they are from apparently entitled people who are hard to please and love to nitpick.

I also know everyone has a different perspective because I refuse to give Disney anything over 3 stars (mostly based on decor and service) and most people are over-the-moon impressed with their cruises. I just don't like their food and really think they're catered to families with small children. My kids are teens now so won't waste the money on those ships anymore until they have kids. lol :p

Glad to know the reasoning behind all those short CBs but it helped me get an AMAZING deal on a corner aft mini suite. No complaints from me. I'm feeling so blessed that I get to spend another milestone birthday on a cruise. Spent my 30th on the Wonder and got an extra day at sea due to Hurricane Charlie in '04.

Any recommendations on where to book the bday dinner?

My friend just came off the Caribbean Princess two weeks ago with two other couples. He said they all had a great time. He loves fish and had it three meals a day. Loved the pub lunch, pizza, soft ice cream. He also indicated the ship is in nice shape. It is only 10 years old.

I'm a Princess newbie so I'm thinking I will be pleasantly surprised on my 40th bday cruise in September on CB. The reviews have been kind of dismal but I don't care because most of the time they are from apparently entitled people who are hard to please and love to nitpick.

I also know everyone has a different perspective because I refuse to give Disney anything over 3 stars (mostly based on decor and service) and most people are over-the-moon impressed with their cruises. I just don't like their food and really think they're catered to families with small children. My kids are teens now so won't waste the money on those ships anymore until they have kids. lol :p

Glad to know the reasoning behind all those short CBs but it helped me get an AMAZING deal on a corner aft mini suite. No complaints from me. I'm feeling so blessed that I get to spend another milestone birthday on a cruise. Spent my 30th on the Wonder and got an extra day at sea due to Hurricane Charlie in '04.

Any recommendations on where to book the bday dinner?

If you're looking for something special (and since you have that nice balcony :p), book the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. I believe that it'll be $100 for two, but well worth it.

Sorry, there was one good desert per night on My canadian cruise last October. Two others were gluten free and sugar free. the always available menu has a cheesecake which has no taste, really bad, and the princess dream which was not very good at all, although this can vary and I would try it again. The Ice Cream is normally pretty good. Take your waiters advice when picking a desert.

I am up to 15 cruises. the Princess deserts used to be outstanding , not any more. Also You used to be able to order soufle every night. we say them maybe 2-3 times on a 10 day cruise. the one desert they had was usually pretty good but it would be nice to have a 2nd choice.

There's a major difference between saying there's only one dessert that's listed on the menu and there's only dessert you were interested in having. Food is pretty subjective. So maybe you might be happier trying out the premium lines. My hubby and I aren't major foodies at all so as long as I find a non-seafood entree (I'm allergic) on the menu such as chicken, I'm happy. My main problem on my most recent cruise was trying to decide between or among the various desserts that sounded so yummy.

All the recent reviews will be of four or five day sailings. As you are taking a seven day, just ignore them. Totally different vibe, totally different expectations on the shorter cruises. Too many reviews are just hasty listings of a relatively few negatives that in hindsight I believe the reviewer wishes they hadn't harped on. I was on Caribbean Princess when she was brand new and left with the feeling that something was "off" compared to the original Grand-class ships. But as I watch the prices continue to drop I expect to be on her either the last week of July or first week of August (once I decide on East v. West) and am grateful that my irregular desire to do the Caribbean in the summer coincides with Princess irregularly having a ship there this year.

Enough personal digression--reports about the condition of the ship should be taken in the context that with so many new ships out there, anyone on a cruise lacking the "new ship smell" seems to feel an obligation to ferret out "age flaws" to list in their review, no matter how trivial. I was on Grand Princess in December 2012, also amidst tons of reviews critical of her physical condition. My reaction was, why does anyone book a 15 year old ship expecting everything to look like new? The bedside lamps in my cabin were "Frankensteins" that had been cobbled together in parts from various different models. To me that was just part of the character of the ship. So as others have already said, just pack a good attitude and enjoy.

Normally only one desert per night unless you want sugar or gluten free.

Looked at menus from the CB in February.

First night:

Flourless chocolate cake

Warm passion fruit souffle

Sugar-free mango cheesecake

Two ice cream flavors and one sorbet

Always available:

Love Boat Dream (not as good as it used to be)

New York Cheesecake (and it is very good)

French vanilla bean creme brulee

Create your own sundae

Brie & Gouda cheese with dried apricots in port wine syrup

Sweet and nutritious fruits

Second night:

Oreo cookie crusted peanut butter chocolate pie (yum!)

Bananas Foster flambe a la mode (not really flambe anymore)

Sugar-free semolina tart

Two ice cream flavors and one sorbet

plus the always available

Same type of selections the rest of the cruise

Just off of the Golden Princess to Alaska and our 6 person table had two desserts almost every night! Also, if someone did not like their entrée, the waiter was quick to get that person another one. Also, did not see rusted balconies (we had three balcony rooms). The whole ship seemed to be in good shape! Do I think you get as much for your buck as you did 25 years ago, No (I remember when there were Grand themed buffets...chocolate...ice sculptures, etc. every night). But a cruise is still a great vacation and value!

Edited by backheidi

I was on the Coral Princess less than four months ago and I had two desserts every night at dinner, except for the one night that I had three desserts!

I like the way you roll!!!

I do not ever remember seeing dessert soufflés on the menu every night?

I don think anyone mentioned the creme brûlée? For me, when they added that to the Always Available menu, that was nirvana. There are also a lot of nice desserts available in the international cafe for a late sweet and coffee.

I haven't cruised in awhile so I'm happy to see that there is Crème Brulee on the always available menu.:):):)

There is one review I read here that was nit picky, and the OP wanted to just whine about trivial things that most of us wouldn't even think about or even complain about. I do agree that the food hasn't been as good as it was in the past. The Lido buffet does show it and the chefs can create so many things out of left overs--especially sausages, and repeating dishes to make it appear as there's lots of food when there really isn't. On our last Princess cruise, there were 3 dishes on the buffet of creamed spinach. Isn't one enough? Also we have the noro virus and everything was clamped down - no serving yourself, it was not a good experience. But, we had a lovely time and we're looking to go again to Alaska before the season is over.

I was just on the CB from July 7-14 for my honeymoon. I plan on writing a trip report/review, but wanted to let you know I think you will enjoy it. This was my 10th Princess cruise and Here are my overall thoughts.

1. The food was great! Everything I would expect from Princess. We never had a bad meal.

2. I know someone mentioned the Balcony Dining and if you do have a balcony I highly recommend this! We did it since we were on our honeymoon and it was the highlight of our cruise.

3. The ship was rusty in places, but nothing that would make you complain. She is 10 years old, but like I said, it isn't an issue!

4. The only complaint I have was the lack of activity at night. We enjoy trivia and the game shows, and there were several nights that had one multimedia trivia and the rest was just shows or music/dancing, which is not our thing. It still didn't ruin our cruise though (after all, we were on our honeymoon hehe)

5. The crew was wonderful!!! Great service from all aspects, including the dining room and our room steward!

Keep your positive attitude, I don't think you will be disappointed!

To the OP, I have exactly the same concern as I'll be on the CB next month! I've been on enough Princess cruises (6 on the CB so far) to make a judgement and compare. The Caribbean Princess was always below what I consider Princess standards. General housekeeping and overall maintenance seems to be lacking. I believe either it's staff cutbacks leading to tired and overworked crew. Seeing dirty plates and glasses etc. for hours in public places is just plain gross.

Some might wonder "then why go on this ship again"...well I never had a bad time, it's just a disappointment to see general neglect. Also, I want a Caribbean cruise this summer and I'm not interested in the other mainstream cruise lines.

i was on the cb last summer (transatlantic) and again this past spring (Caribbean). loved the food (including the cheesecake and the crème brulee which I am somewhat embarrassed to say I had almost every second night). I never noticed the state of the ship, it was always being spiffied up. the crew was great; I think this comes from the top down and with a good senior staff, everyone is happier. the only difference between the 2 trips was the passengers. many more grumps on the ta.