SC Neptune Suites on Westerdam

jaguarstyper

We are booked on a Westerdam cruise in an aft SB suite and friends of ours are considering booking the cruise too. They asked us what the difference between an SA and an SC suite is. I couldn't really answer. I have always booked aft suites and I know they are a little smaller than the SA but the veranda is the selling point for me. So, what's the difference between the SA and SC suites, specifically the 4 SC suites on the Rotterdam deck. The only thing I could come up with was they were further away from the Neptune Lounge. What else am I missing? What makes an SA on the same deck worth $400 per person more? Especially when the SA and SC suites are right next to each other. When you look at the deck plans, the SC suites actually look bigger than the SA suites.

Help me explain this to them.

I have had 6164 aboard the Westerdam, the SC suite that is a handicapped suite, although I fortunately do not need such amenities. While not on Rotterdam deck, it was a very roomy, very pleasant facility, large bathroom with a tub/shower combination along with the handicapped shower, if used/needed, in the area where the toilet was located. Very well planned, I thought. If the handicapped shower was used, there was a drain to collect the water between that area and the rest of the bathroom, plus another drain between the bathroom and the dressing room. Storage space within the stateroom: for a week's cruise, the decision would be which, drawer, which shelf, should I store this shirt, that shirt, those pair of socks, etc. Simply gobs of space!

My only concern, being an aft stateroom, was some light soot from the funnels. The Cabin Steward daily cleaned the area, but it could be an issue. Even after his cleaning, a white towel became gray when wiped across the table, etc. I started bringing the cushions I was going to use for the furniture into the stateroom when I was not using them. That kept them--and my clothes--clean.

While this does not directly address your question about the Rotterdam Deck's SC staterooms, I hope maybe it will help.

The main difference is the distance from the Neptune and the fact that they are fairly far aft (as compared to the SAs).

Another major factor is that there are just 4 of them on the ship and I think that HAL uses them as a "price point" merchandising tool. On most cruises I bet you can not even book these cabins, but rather must book a SC guarantee. That way HAL can put you in any Neptune cabin they want, plus it forces people who want a specific cabin to pay extra for an SB or SA.

Personally, if I could book one of these 6 SCs on the Westerdam, I would take them (except for the 2 aft handicap ones) and save the money. I like that they are on the Rotterdam deck (like the SAs and Neptune Lounge), while some of the higher priced SBs are one deck lower and two of them are next to the glass elevators (which I avoid).

Edited by DaveOKC

If I may make a suggestion - instead of the SCs, look at spending $400 (for two in a cabin) to upgrade yourself to a corner aft SB cabin. I see that the 2 on deck 6 are still open for your sailing. Since you are so far aft anyway, it is not that much more of a walk and the corner afts are great cabins IMO (but are a bit smaller).

Check it out on this board - the corner afts that is.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

I screamed for joy when I saw that the original SA cabins were now at the SC price for our upcoming Noordam cruise, and yes, I was able to book the exact cabin that I wanted, it's not a guarantee. However, all the SC's on our cruise have sold out and it's now a guarantee status. Is it far from the Neptune lounge? Not as far as our deck six aft SC was (back when they were SC and not SB). Since we had to crawl through half the ship to get to the stairs to climb up to the NL, it wasn't easy to "pop in" as people talk about.

So our cabin is a long way down the hall? It's down the hall, not down a deck or two!

As for that aft suite cabin, once was enough. The balcony was a waste of space because we barely used it, I'd rather have the larger cabin.

I screamed for joy when I saw that the original SA cabins were now at the SC price for our upcoming Noordam cruise, and yes, I was able to book the exact cabin that I wanted, it's not a guarantee. However, all the SC's on our cruise have sold out and it's now a guarantee status. Is it far from the Neptune lounge? Not as far as our deck six aft SC was (back when they were SC and not SB). Since we had to crawl through half the ship to get to the stairs to climb up to the NL, it wasn't easy to "pop in" as people talk about.

So our cabin is a long way down the hall? It's down the hall, not down a deck or two!

As for that aft suite cabin, once was enough. The balcony was a waste of space because we barely used it, I'd rather have the larger cabin.

As I said, some folks love the aft wraps and do not mind being on a different deck than the Neptune, but others do not like them. Its an individual thing. Personally I like being close to the Neptune, but my DW loves the aft-wrap, so guess who wins if we have a choice (hint: its not me).

DaveOKC

We were in 7084 on the Westerdam this past March when it was an SA. It is now an SC. There is no difference in that cabin ... it is exactly like all Westerdam SA's - except the distance from the Neptune Lounge. We booked late and that was one of the few suites still available. WE picked that cabin - we did not end up there because of a guarantee. We found the distance from the NL was not an issue at all.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Those SCs are a short walk down the hall from the Neptune Lounge. They are far better than the SBs a floor below. Remember a few months ago, those SCs were SAs. I booked the SC and cancelled my travel agent's upgrade request for fear they might put me in an SB.

The truth is the SCs are used by HAL to "lower" the Neptune Suite pricing because there are only four SCs available on the whole ship. It is a marketing tool or pricing point to get people interested in Neptune Suites.

I agree with CruiserBruce, location, location, location, that is about the only differences. I would also stay away from the suites that surround the glass elevators.

What is the problem with glass elevators?

What is the problem with glass elevators?

Those on the balcony can be seen by those on the elevator. This may or may not be a problem, depending on your point of view. Some people prefer not being seen.

Those on the balcony can be seen by those on the elevator. This may or may not be a problem, depending on your point of view. Some people prefer not being seen.

In my case, I avoid the glass elevators for the protection of the people riding on them (so they cannot see me!).

The SA suites have a lot more cabin space than the aft wraps. We have stayed in both. The view from the aft wrap can't be beat and yes, it is a long walk to the Neptune lounge. However, the aft elevator lets you out at the entrance to the MDR. We prefer the SA because we like the spacious cabin area.

Diane

Just to clarify, we are already booked in an aft wrap suite on deck 5 (verandah deck?) Its our friends who were asking about the SCs. There is at least one still available to be booked specifically. Their budget is a bit tight and a $400 upgrade to an SB or $800 upgrade to an SA wasn't appealing to them. I will recommend they book it. Especially when you consider the suite right next door would be an $800 increase. Seems like a pretty good way to go to me.

Me personally, I only want to book the aft corner suites. To me they are the best cabins on the ships. I don't mind a little less space and the long walk to the Neptune. They are plenty big enough for the two of us and the walk does us good.

Thanks for all the good replies.