Please compare Century, Infinity, and Eclipse

Susie51

I have cruised on Century and Infinity and am thinking about cruising on Eclipse.

I enjoyed both ships. The Aqua Café was great for a light breakfast before an AM workout. Enjoyed both buffets for lunch. Dinners were very good in the MDR.

What can I look forward to on Eclipse?

I've enjoyed all three classes of ships, but Aqua Spa cafe has changed a lot and now pushes extra-cost items. You could no longer get plain yogurt there when I was on Century in December, but you could buy yogurt concoctions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi, so you have sailed Century and Infinity before...so you know the

differences between them.

Longer walk from one end of the ship to the other......more tonnage.

Eclipse is in the 120,000 ton range..

More passengers.......

More restaurants........so more food choices........

More decks.......the Sunset Bar all the way.....upstairs is different,

with the grass. Some people love it, others folks.....not so much.

The buffet is totally different than both Century and M class ships.

Set up is stations and no trays. Some folks love it, others? Not so

much.

Depending on what you prefer? They all offer a good experience

(in my opinion). I have sailed all 3. I still love Century and her intimate

feel......I always love sailing M class and also enjoy the modern S

class. They all offer good things.

Great to have the choices:)

Edited by Lois R

Thank you for your help. The change in the buffet sounds nice.

Is there a conceirge lounge for suite guests as on RCI Voyager class ships?

They recently changed one of the venues...Michael's Club is now set up

for Suite Guests and Zenith guests only. (Zenith is the highest level

of Capt's Club).

Oh yes, Eclipse has the Hot Glass Show. I know that was mentioned

earlier. It is also upstairs outside, aft area. It is quite fun and interesting

to see them making items from glass.:)

The buffet is totally different than both Century and M class ships.

Set up is stations and no trays. Some folks love it, others? Not so

much.

I certainly haven't read every comment on CC about the buffet layout on the S-class ships, but I don't recall anyone complaining about it. At any rate, speaking only for myself, it's a far smarter layout on the S-class ships, with separate stations. I've sailed on the Infinity and the Eclipse, and while there were many things I liked on the Infinity more than on the Eclipse, the layout of the buffet was not one of them. It was, as one fellow cruiser called it, a high school cafeteria without the trays. The buffet on the Eclipse was wonderful.

I certainly haven't read every comment on CC about the buffet layout on the S-class ships, but I don't recall anyone complaining about it. At any rate, speaking only for myself, it's a far smarter layout on the S-class ships, with separate stations. I've sailed on the Infinity and the Eclipse, and while there were many things I liked on the Infinity more than on the Eclipse, the layout of the buffet was not one of them. It was, as one fellow cruiser called it, a high school cafeteria without the trays. The buffet on the Eclipse was wonderful.

Hi:) I am not saying everyone dislikes it by any means but I am saying

there are always folks who prefer one type to another. I like the S

Class buffet too:D

I was just giving information out from things I have read on here over

the years. I can't give specific "so and so said this" but I do

recall reading comments about both set ups.

I should have been more specific also.....I know there were plenty

of postings about trays......having them vs not having them.

I am sure your remember those threads.......

Edited by Lois R

Hi:) I am not saying everyone dislikes it by any means but I am saying

there are always folks who prefer one type to another. I like the S

Class buffet too:D

I was just giving information out from things I have read on here over

the years. I can't give specific "so and so said this" but I do

recall reading comments about both set ups.

I should have been more specific also.....I know there were plenty

of postings about trays......having them vs not having them.

I am sure your remember those threads.......

Trays were dispensed with a number of years ago.

I don't think they were on Century in 2012,

Eclipse 2010?

Certainly not on Infinity 2013.

Trays were dispensed with a number of years ago.

I don't think they were on Century in 2012,

Eclipse 2010?

Certainly not on Infinity 2013.

Hi, I know the S class has never had trays. I was trying to give the

differences between M and S class. I was on Summit last summer

and memory tells me they had them.....I was on Century in February

and maybe one of my cruisemates can correct me if I am wrong but

I do believe we had trays on that cruise as well.

Guess I opened a can of worms......:rolleyes: sorry. I will now unsubsribe

from this thread.:eek:

While I haven't sailed on the Eclipse, I have been on other S-class ships as well as on the Century and Infinity.

The Infinity was my favorite ship ever until I sailed on the Equinox, which is number two...followed by the Solstice. The Century is too outdated in my opinion -- but has an absolutely wonderful crew and staff. I think she was lacking a bit of maintenance but had a great cruise on her nonetheless. I won't include her in this comparison as for me, she doesn't really even compare to the other two ships.

I largely base my experience on a cruise ship to their outdoor seating areas, spa and pool areas, especially the indoor pool. On the S-class ships, the indoor pool area is superb. I especially love the lighted fountain area at night. The lounge chairs are comfy cozy as are the hammock and caftan chairs. The Persian Gardens, observation lounge are also excellent places to relax and read a book or take in the beautiful scenery. The set up of the indoor pool on the Infinity is even better, though. The lounge chairs face outward although not as many of them. If you are lucky enough to get one on a sea day...wow!! Just a fantastic way to spend the day. Plus, if they still have that heated thalasso therapy pool, it is just fantastic. It was heated and felt so good after the glacier viewing in Alaska.

I also love the outdoor seating at the back of the M and S class ships off the back of the buffet area. They had this on the Century as well but had couch seating areas on the S-class. So comfy....

I do love the whole idea of the lawn club on the S-class ships, whereas I have read that others think it is a complete waste of real estate. To each his own, I guess. The hot glass show on the S-class is also really interesting and fun ...but probably once or twice is enough.

I have not sailed on the Infinity, but I have sailed on the Century and the Eclipse and IMHO I think there is no contest. I did not care for the Century and I loved the Eclipse. It is a beautiful ship, great crew, and if Perry Grant is entertaining, that is really a plus! I really like the S Class.

The room for suite guests is in Michael's Club and it's not for all suites. That perk is for Celebrity Suites and higher along with Zenith Captains Club members. Sky Suites are not part of this perk.

We had trays on Summit last fall.

And, Turtles, there have been more than a few comments over the years where "some" have said they don't like the set up of the S class buffet for whatever reason. This was especially the case a few years ago when Solstice first came out. Now that people are used to the buffet, you might not see as many negative comments.

Edited by cruisead

I sailed on the Eclipse (Baltics) summer 2013. Definitely no trays in the Oceanview Café.

Explanation is that X want to differentiate themselves and want to get away from the "Cafeteria". Personally. I can't see it makes any difference.......self service buffet is still self service buffet!

But it is good lots of choice and I do agree that the layout avoids long lines.

• 4 weeks later...
I sailed on the Eclipse (Baltics) summer 2013. Definitely no trays in the Oceanview Café.

Explanation is that X want to differentiate themselves and want to get away from the "Cafeteria". Personally. I can't see it makes any difference.......self service buffet is still self service buffet!

But it is good lots of choice and I do agree that the layout avoids long lines.

If they want to do that, they need to add staff to take your plate at the end of the station and lead you to a table, like Oceania. [Actually I found that a little creepy, but it does eliminate the "cafeteria" feel...]

If they want to do that, they need to add staff to take your plate at the end of the station and lead you to a table, like Oceania.

Really? We can't carry our own plates of food now? Seriously, the fewer folks that touch my food/plates on these ships... the better.