Kusadasi Private Tours - recent reviews

Last month, we used Otti Travel and were quoted a price which included the rug stop and one (higher) that omitted it. In the end we chose the rug stop and found it fascinating. We bought a carpet but I had already decided to do so. The other couple who were with us didn't and I don't think they were pressured too heavily.

An account of our day (including the rug co-op) is here: http://katgoesonholiday.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/day-5-izmirephesus-part-a.html

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

All this great info but not one word on prices?

Whats a ball park figure for the Ephesus tour?

I have heard that the Terraces? Are a must do along with it.

Any info on that.

I have been to Kusadasi a few times but never took a tour.

I see many drivers trying to get business outside the terminal.

Bad idea? Trying to get price range in case I use someone at the pier.

Any info on that.

Well, it really does depend on what tour you take….. there are lots to choose from and it is really not hard to find them on the internet…… a google search of "Kusadasi tours" turned up 741,000 hits……

We have always used Ekol (3 times so far and 4th next May) so here is a link to their website. Check out your options and then you know what it will cost.

http://www.ekoltravel.com/en/kusadasi-port_t/

We like the Ephesus and Sirince village one….. 195.00 for 6 hours for 2-3 people. Note all this includes (even lunch). Tours in this area are a very good value and priced lower than in other areas……

Anyway, my point is - do some research and find what you like instead of asking others since what they did might not be what you will like ……. just sayin' ;)

Any info on that.

We paid $40 per person for a group of six recruited on our roll call in May for a 4-1/2 tour of Ephesus and the amazing Terrace Houses for $40 per person with the excellent Ephesus Deluxe. That included all admissions. Wonderful guide; fantastic tour.

It was booked a lot in advance; booking closer to the time I believe would have cost $50 per person.

I definitely would not wait until arrival to book a tour; best to use one of the reputable companies people recommend either on this forum or sister website tripadvisor.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

We usually take ship excursions and for the first time I am researching a private excursion. We will be travelling with our 9 year old children and want the flexibility of a private tour. Our planned itinerary is House of Virgin Mary, Ancient Ephesus (including terrace houses) and Temple of Artemis.

Does anyone have a recent review or recommendation of a private tour from Kusadasi? Were you made to go to a rug/leather/pottery demonstration?

Thanks

Shellie

I have just returned from Kusadasi. We did a private excursion with Ada Vegas. They are great. Its on line service is the best. Once in Kusadasi our nice guide was waiting for us, Ilkay. Incredible knowledge about history. We visited first Virgin Mary´s home in order to avoid crowds, the Ephesus and Artemis Temple. We had lunch in Selcuk where we wanted to visit the museum but the day was so hot we didn't make it, we were too tired. We relaxed at the restaurant. Contact them, also its prices are very good http://www.adavegastravel.com. AS it is private you can do what you want. No rugs, no pottery.

Thank you all for your replies. I have sent an email to Ephesus Deluxe and am awaiting their reply.

I had emailed Private Ephesus Tours and they have advised that they will stop at a factory 'because they support us' even though I requested not to do a shopping stop. It makes me worried as I am not sure how we will cope under sales pressure or how I will feel being 'locked in' as some reviewers have described it. The ships tours also stop at a rug factory. Maybe there is no way around it.

I made it clear to ephesus deluxe tours we did not want to stop at a rug factory or have lunch in a rug cooperative.. he assured me we would not stop at a rug factory and our lunch would be in a regular restaurant.. and I do have it in writing :)

I'm about to book a tour with Ephesus Deluxe, $40 for 4 hours which includes the Terrace Houses and guaranteed regardless of how many sign up sounds pretty good to me. A tour is a way to not have to get any Turkish currency since they take euros. Can anyone suggest what would be a good and/or great tip? I assume there would be a driver and a guide? Tip both? I'll just mention I'm not interested in any rug tours and bring it up again on the tour. Pattle66 have you gone on your tour yet?

This sounds like the exact same excursion we did last year with Ephesus Deluxe and loved it. I think we only tipped the guide, assuming she shared it with the driver. We were very pleased with our knowledgeable guide, and while I don't remember the amount it was probably in the 20% range. And I remember them taking US Dollars.

Ephesus tends to be quite hot, so stop on the way in at one of the little shops and buy bottled water. At the end of the tour there were vendors selling wonderful refreshing slushy beverages. Also some nice souvenir booths that we patronized too!

Enjoy your tour...we have been to Ephesus several times and it is magical every time we go! :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first time doing private tours. How long does it take after you reserve to get a confirmation e-mail? I plan to use Epheses Deluxe based on the great reviews.

Also, do you have to email a reminder? We will be in Ephesus in December and wanted a private tour.

They should be responding within a day or two from your inquiry. That is generally what I have experienced - and on some occasions over a weekend you will hear from tour companies or hotels on Monday.

If you do not hear anything, we have had great responses from Ephesus Shuttle and have two days booked with the next month. Just an option.

This is my first time doing private tours. How long does it take after you reserve to get a confirmation e-mail? I plan to use Epheses Deluxe based on the great reviews.

Also, do you have to email a reminder? We will be in Ephesus in December and wanted a private tour.

You should hear back within a day or so. We had a wonderful tour with Ephesus Deluxe in May just to Ancient Ephesus and the incredible Terrace Houses. I had visited in 2008 and there was much more on display at the Terrace Houses.

I always email a reminder/reconfirmation a couple of weeks before the tour; never hurts IMO. I do the same for my hotels.

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis. Had no idea there was a "government run" carpet factory scheduled too. We had a lovely time- until the carpet factory. Lunch was delicious but we were Pounced on when we entered the walls of the carpet factory. We were segregated from each other as couples and assured that we had time, although we did NOT. We missed much of Ephesus- the Basilica of St John, the large theater, the Stadium and didn't have time to enter the Celsius Library Because we were being strong armed into buying carpets at $1000 each. We had no idea and NEVER Intended on buying a carpet that day, let alone such an expensive carpet. The Carpet Salesmen were running after us as we approached the van we came in- as we tried to leave. I just kept saying- "We Don't have TIME for this." And We Didn't have time. So sad we missed part of Ephesus and had to spend valuable time fighting off the carpet salemen. The Carpet Salemen were worse than used car salesmen. So BE WARE!!!

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis. Had no idea there was a "government run" carpet factory scheduled too. We had a lovely time- until the carpet factory. Lunch was delicious but we were Pounced on when we entered the walls of the carpet factory. We were segregated from each other as couples and assured that we had time, although we did NOT. We missed much of Ephesus- the Basilica of St John, the large theater, the Stadium and didn't have time to enter the Celsius Library Because we were being strong armed into buying carpets at $1000 each. We had no idea and NEVER Intended on buying a carpet that day, let alone such an expensive carpet. The Carpet Salesmen were running after us as we approached the van we came in- as we tried to leave. I just kept saying- "We Don't have TIME for this." And We Didn't have time. So sad we missed part of Ephesus and had to spend valuable time fighting off the carpet salemen. The Carpet Salemen were worse than used car salesmen. So BE WARE!!!

You are clearly angry (since you've posted the same info on multiple threads). But on a private tour, you have the right to insist on leaving if you do not want to see/do a specific activity. I can understand being upset, but not why you didn't do something about it?

I guess it's a good warning to others on a private tour. Review your itinerary for the day with the guide at the beginning and be sure he/she understands what is important to you and where you want to spend your time. Confirm there are no unwanted shopping stops, if that bothers you. (It does me!)

By the way, I looked up your tour on the agency's website, and it doesn't actually say that it includes the Basilica of St. John, which is in a separate location. Also, no tour, private or ship-sponsored, that I've ever seen includes the stadium, which is away from the site and very poorly preserved. It's not even been excavated. I'm not even sure it's open to tourists without special arrangement.

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis.
I'm replying here because this seems to be the most recent thread where you posted your story.

It would be useful to post the name of your tour guide, because I assume that Ephesus Deluxe is like many tour companies in that they work with a large pool of guides depending on demand. Sometimes the tour company just provides a basic outline of a tour, and give the guide the freedom to set the exact timetable. A good guide will use this to adapt the schedule to help you avoid the crowds and maximize your time at each site. A bad guide will abuse this freedom and dump you in a shop for as long as possible.

Your experience certainly reflects poorly on Ephesus Deluxe, but the real problem could have been your guide. If lots of people complain about this guide, tour companies will hopefully stop using them.

On the other hand, I agree with cruisemom that you may have been expecting to see more on this tour than actually promised. You have a nice view of the Basilica from the Temple of Artemis, but it doesn't look like your tour included any actual stops in Selçuk town. Did you make a note of how much time you spent at each stop, at lunch, and at the carpet shop? This would give us all a better understanding of your complaint.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thanks for helping me out in reference to response times. I sent a second email this morning and received a reply a short time later. Everyone here is very helpful.

If I have to sit through another carpet talk, I accept it. When I was part of teacher groups abroad, we often had to visit government shops as part of our travel experience. It kind of "goes with the territory."

If I have to sit through another carpet talk, I accept it. When I was part of teacher groups abroad, we often had to visit government shops as part of our travel experience. It kind of "goes with the territory."

There is no such requirement in Turkey on your private tours. You are in charge of your private tour. If you do not want any shopping, just say so.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned Saturday from our Med cruise with our stop in Kudasi. We were there two years ago and toured with 3 other couples from Cruise Critic sign up. We had a great tour. However this time my husband and I wanted total control over our tour. I booked with Ephesus Shuttle - I wanted a tour of Ephesus (without Terrace houses this time) and a tour of St. John's Basilica and Isy Bay Mosque. Our guide and driver picked us up at 7:30 a.m. (with my name on sign). Was professional, well spoken english and very informative and kind. I told him we did the rug demonstration last time and was not interested this time. He offered us touring a ceramic family ran business and we accepted as I was interested - we were only there 15 minutes at most. The guide's name was Adem Arslan - he was one of the best guides I have had in years. SO REASONABLE. Paid $126 US dollars for the two of us. I would hire him again in a minute.