Rogue Waves

Manny13840

We had a mild one hit us in the Pacific. We thought we were going over. Emptied the pools, trashed the gift shops and the dining room settings.

Nothing like you see in the Atlantic, where they break windows and such.

We had a mild one hit us in the Pacific. We thought we were going over. Emptied the pools, trashed the gift shops and the dining room settings.

Nothing like you see in the Atlantic, where they break windows and such.

Were they able to warn passengers the wave was coming?

Wait, what is this? What's a rogue wave? I need to fear more things in my life.

LOL

Rogue Waves are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that occur far out at sea, and are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners.[1]

Last reported Atlantic rogue wave hit an NCL ship between Miami and the Bahamas, was reportedly 7 decks high. That's where the highest damage, broken cabin windows/doors was reported. Prob 3 or 4 seasons ago. Sudden, no chance for ship to evade or time to warn crew and pax. Freakish.

I believe I encountered one on the LST that I was on in the Navy. We took a violent 59 degree roll one night without warning. Of course they didn't see anything from the bridge but the suddenness of it certainly suggests a rogue.

Has anyone experienced a Rogue Wave while on a cruise ship? And how bad was it?

Not one of any significance but they do happen. Watch the movie White Squall and yoou will see what happens when they are really big :eek::eek:

We were hit sailing from Grand Cayman on route to Columbia

Thought we hit a container ..just got ready for bed when it hit... so got dressed again & wait to see if they called the alarm

Found out the next day it had gone up & over the top deck (deck 10)of one of Oceania's small ships

Lots of glass & dishes broken inside the shops/dining venues but no damage to the ship

a bit of water got inside on deck 7 somehow the carpet was wet in the hallway

Not something I want to experience again;)

Posts like this are a hoot.

Mention anything that "might" be an issue (once in a lifetime for the most part) and people are suddenly afraid.

Yet, these same people have no issue driving. Approx. 20-30k people a year in the U.S. die in car accidents.

You don't hear people say "And that is why I don't get into a car!'.

Sheeesh.

Andy

:cool:

The NCL Dawn was hit by three 70-foot rogue waves in 2005.

"The third wave damaged several windows on the 9th and 10th decks and several decks were flooded. Damage, however, was not extensive and the ship was quickly repaired. Four passengers were slightly injured in this incident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Dawn#2005_rogue_wave_incident

Mention anything that "might" be an issue (once in a lifetime for the most part) and people are suddenly afraid.

Yet, these same people have no issue driving. Approx. 20-30k people a year in the U.S. die in car accidents.

Sheeesh.

Andy

Car accidents - hah! How about the hundred thousand plus deaths per year due to "hospital error" - often cited as third largest immediate cause of death in the US. When will people learn to stay out of hospitals - especially while in impaired health?

Sheeesh.

Andy

Hello? At least when you're in a car you can drive away from the rogue wave.

LOL

Rogue Waves are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that occur far out at sea, and are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners.[1]

Rogue waves DO NOT have to be large...they merely must be 2.2 times larger than the average wave in the current sea state...they are caused when for some unknown reason, waves become unstable, and gather height & rise rapidly...the wave in front of a rogue and in back of a rogue, become smaller, as the rogue seems to steal energy from both waves in front & in back..the wave in the middle rises until it reaches a certain height..actually, in a sea that is 5 ft high, a wave that is only 11 ft would be considered a rogue...those are not the ones people fear..those can be 50-100 ft in height, and are usually found in the deep oceans in the world...the one that hit the NCL Dawn in 2005 was 70 ft high..another hit the Queen Elizabeth and was 95 ft high...they now have satellites that can spot them from space and alert ships...it is believed that the Andrea Gale, the ship that was lost in the movie, "The Perfect Storm" was sunk by a 100 ft rogue..also the Edmund Fitzgerald in 1975 has been determined to have been sunk by a rogue wave after taking on a lot of water in the Great Lakes in Nov 1975...chances today of getting hit by a rogue wave are very, very rare..keep cruising and have fun...

We were hit by one in the middle of the night. Sorry, don't remember what ship or even what ocean. It hit the ship more or less head on. The Captain came on the PA assuring us the ship was ok. We heard later there was some minor damage to forward cabins and some broken windows.

also the Edmund Fitzgerald in 1975 has been determined to have been sunk by a rogue wave after taking on a lot of water in the Great Lakes in Nov 1975

The official report is that the hatch covers were not secured properly and loosened, allowing the flooding of the holds due to the storm's large waves breaking over her deck - a condition she was designed to cope with, as did the SS Arthur M. Anderson, an similar sized ore carrier a few miles ahead of her caught in the same storm. To complicate matters, she had been overloaded and was sitting lower in the water than she was designed to be.

The official report is that the hatch covers were not secured properly and loosened, allowing the flooding of the holds due to the storm's large waves breaking over her deck - a condition she was designed to cope with, as did the SS Arthur M. Anderson, an similar sized ore carrier a few miles ahead of her caught in the same storm. To complicate matters, she had been overloaded and was sitting lower in the water than she was designed to be.

True about the "official" report..but after divers went down to examine the wreck, they found damage that only a rogue wave could do ON top of her being overloaded..then they did a simulation on a machine in Nova Scotia , one of the best in the world, put in all the parameters of the sea that night including the excess weight and found that it was a rogue wave that caused the sinking..many think the hatch theory was made up by the officials because they didn't really know what happened at that time...there was a great show I think called "Underwater Universe" on the EF disaster..great show & new findings...also the German ship, the Munchen went down also with 29 crewman ( freaky- same # of people!!)..she disappeared within minutes of calling another ship .... rouge & Killer waves are an amazing phenomenon..I have been studying them for years now...try & read "The Wave" by Susan Casey- a fascinating book on rogue waves & great pictures...

Sheeesh.

Andy

Omg, so true. People do this all the time , like flying. Your still way more likely to be in a car accident

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app