How to compare self vs Oceania Air

edgee

One of my pet peeves. I am willing to pay the fee for our European cruises, but simply am too cost-conscious to pay an extra $350 to go to Miami a day early next January.

For some of us it does not make any difference in the price of air diy or O with a deviation

It would cost me the same or more to book my own... even to Miami

One must compare the cost & then decide what works best for them ....one price does not fit all

Lyn

Try a "dummy" booking online and exclude the air option - the difference is the credit you would get if you choose to do your own air.
This is great, was not aware it was an option. Thanks!

Or just ask your TA or Oceania

This reminds me I need to find a TA who specializes in Oceanoa. Ours knows nothing of them and can offer no deals at all.

As far as the upcharges are concerned, there is no reason to be concerned because, you will already have Oceania's Price Proposal in hand before you accept your Routing. Once you ACCEPT a Routing, the Deviation Fee becomes nonrefundable, but before you accept a Route, there is no risk at all.

I have not been successful in having Oceania book Premium Economy directly.

Rather, they purchased an Economy ticket (of an upgradeable class) on my behalf, and then I worked with the Airline to get the Premium Economy seats.

When planning this, you will need to keep in mind that Oceania does not purchase their airline tickets until between 30 and 60 days before Sailing, unless A) your cruise is paid in full, and B) You request that the Tickets be purchased earlier than normal.

Some Airlines will permit an upgrade for a reserved but not yet ticketed Passenger; some require that the ticket be purchased.

Curious what happens if one pays in full and requests that the accepted deviation request is ticketed and then has to cancel the cruise (assuming before penalty phase).

I *know* insurance might cover such an event but wondering how much more money is put at risk. The deviation fee would already be paid for the administration work but being as it is ticketed is there more cost lost?

I suppose O would deal with that cancellation loss.

But what also if there is additional cost paid for that route? Would that be refunded?

I realize there aren't many who both do as you suggest and pay early to get the flights tickets AND then later have to cancel so might not get an answer here.

Would be something to discuss with O when considering this method (or working out insurance)

I do like it though

Reading this thread made me wonder about an upcoming trip so had my TA check for the amount of credit. He had the answer within a few hours and today I booked the exact flights we wanted, with nonstop flights, appropriate timing etc. Then sent the TA an email to cancel the 'free airfare' and take the credit. The flights I booked directly cost $93 more than the credit but that's still a lot less than paying O the deviation fee of $175/pp and potentially an upcharge on the actual flight cost.

Sometimes it works....

Reading this thread made me wonder about an upcoming trip so had my TA check for the amount of credit. He had the answer within a few hours and today I booked the exact flights we wanted, with nonstop flights, appropriate timing etc. Then sent the TA an email to cancel the 'free airfare' and take the credit. The flights I booked directly cost $93 more than the credit but that's still a lot less than paying O the deviation fee of $175/pp and potentially an upcharge on the actual flight cost.

Sometimes it works....

Glad it worked out well for you.

Is this a domestic or an international flight?

Sometimes it works....

As I have said many times before you have to compare your options & choose what what works best for you :)

Lyn

Much of the reasons for some people being able to book direct for close to the same as the credit is that the credit does not differ depending on your gateway airport, it is the same for any departures from the US and while only Oceania knows how these credits are figured, it is logical that they are an average for the entire US.

Thus, someone closer to the embarkation port is more likely to be able to book direct while someone further away won't come close. For example, for trips starting in Europe, people on the East Coast will be have a much better chance of booking direct than someone living on the West Coast.

We typically fly out of Nashville. That is not a gateway city for O Air, so they always want an upcharge from us for air. Very often that upcharge makes their air more expensive than what I can find for my wife and I.

This is great, was not aware it was an option. Thanks!

This reminds me I need to find a TA who specializes in Oceanoa. Ours knows nothing of them and can offer no deals at all.

That is critical. Not all TAs are created equal. A TA who specializes can do more for you than a TA who does not.

I realize that O's hotels are pricy - much pricier than my usual accommodation. But for our next cruise, we would like to have at least a night in our final port of call. I assume that O's own flight arrangements take a hotel night booked through O into account. I realize I have to do the math - my own hotel arrangements plus deviation versus no deviation plus O's expensive post-cruise hotel. However what about two nights at the O-selected hotel? And what happens if you have airport transfers included as a freebie? If I recall correctly, you get this taken off your bill if you cancel it and the airfare too. But could we use it with a night or two at the post-cruise hotel?

I realize that O's hotels are pricy - much pricier than my usual accommodation. But for our next cruise, we would like to have at least a night in our final port of call. I assume that O's own flight arrangements take a hotel night booked through O into account. I realize I have to do the math - my own hotel arrangements plus deviation versus no deviation plus O's expensive post-cruise hotel. However what about two nights at the O-selected hotel? And what happens if you have airport transfers included as a freebie? If I recall correctly, you get this taken off your bill if you cancel it and the airfare too. But could we use it with a night or two at the post-cruise hotel?

If you take O's hotel package post cruise for 1,2 or whatever they offer then your transfers are included from the ship to HOTEL & hotel to the airport

Your TA should be able to check this out

From their website

Each Hotel Collection Package Includes:

1, 2, or 3 nights' luxurious accommodations

Private group ground transfers to and from the airport and hotel

Private group ground transfers to and from the hotel and ship

Hotel taxes and hotel porterage

24-hour local emergency contact

Services of an exclusive Oceania Cruises hospitality and tour sales desk available in the lobby of each hotel

Edited by LHT28

If you take O's hotel package post cruise for 1,2 or whatever they offer then your transfers are included from the ship to HOTEL & hotel to the airport

Your TA should be able to check this out

[/b]

Thanks. Should have thought of asking her!

Edited by Tansy Mews

Glad it worked out well for you.

Is this a domestic or an international flight?

Domestic on the outbound, returning from San Juan, PR. We do not live in a gateway city, although on this particular cruise our airport was included for 'free'. Normally however, we pay an extra $199/pp just to leave from our home airport, in addition to any deviation fee.

It all adds up...