Embarkation and Luggage

We are sailing on Explorer on July 17th. We live locally so we are getting a ride to the pier. Any tips or suggestions on luggage? Is there any hard limit to how much we can bring (our family is 6, including wife and 3 daughters so there is alot of clothing and shoes) and how long does it take for luggage to end up in the cabins?

Also, does anyone have any tips for what to do if we chose to get to the ship early, tips about what to do for lunch? is the MDR open? any ideal spots for sail away?

And we have two cabins booked, one for myself and wife and one for the gaggle of kids. Any opinion on how successful we would be trying to bring on 4 bottles (2 per stateroom) as per the rules? (given no one in the 2nd room is 21).

Again, most appreciative of all answers---a great community of help on the board.

I believe there is some really high upper limit on luggage, but it's way beyond what you would probably want to bring. It's not like the airlines.

The MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day. Your choices are Windjammer (buffet) and Cafe Promenade (small sandwiches and pizza slices).

Also, does anyone have any tips for what to do if we chose to get to the ship early...

You are one of the few who lives close enough to choose arrival time, really. Explorer is magnificent and you will have no trouble finding something "to do" if you embark early. She is a large ship and it is great to be early and take pictures, check out the dining room, the ice rink, the pool deck, etc. Personally, I would aim for arrival at the port around 10:30. You can check in shortly thereafter, and boarding will probably begin around 11:15/11:30, give or take. It's wonderful to be among the first onboard.

The cabins will not be open and available to you until 1:00 (maybe 1:30) so remember that you will have to keep all carry-ons with you until then.

Have fun!

In addition to the above..you will (should not) have any trouble bringing your 2 bottles of wine (4 total) onboard in your carryon luggage..we had two cabins booked and our four bottles were in one carryon...Just our recent (May 30th) experience on ROS Alaska cruise..We had to take our wine out of our checked luggage and put it into our carryon at the airport on landing...No one asked or paid any attention to the wine as we boarded the ship.

Just hand over your luggages to the porter (and don't forget to tip). It will be delivered to your cabin, but may take some time, 4pm, 8pm, or even later.

Bring along the things you need right away in your carry on. Example your bathing suit, if you want to use the pool upon boarding. Or some medicines that you have to take.

Enjoy your cruise!

(Patti, you've got mail!! :D)

I know Peggy. Thanks! I just haven't pulled my work calendar out of my work bag yet. ;) We've just been enjoying the holiday and sitting out in the backyard reading, and listening to the explosions. The neighbors are apparently well stocked with illegal fireworks.

I promise I will take a look at dates tomorrow. :)

Regarding your luggage and what to bring, pack anything you will need like swim suites, in your carry on. carry on your electronics and pack the chargers in your carry on. Luggage arrival to your rooms can be between 3 Pm or after, so I always have a couple days worth of clothes minimum in our carry ons including evening wear. I generally wear tennies during the day and maybe bring two pair of evening shoes. Best thing, is to mix & match your clothes so you can wear shorts, slacks or pants more then once and switch out the tops. I still over do the tops, so one of these days I will get it right. have a great cruise.:)

I know Peggy. Thanks! I just haven't pulled my work calendar out of my work bag yet. ;) We've just been enjoying the holiday and sitting out in the backyard reading, and listening to the explosions. The neighbors are apparently well stocked with illegal fireworks.

I promise I will take a look at dates tomorrow. :)

No problem. I agree: avoid work until you can't!!

(Sorry for the hijack.)