Has anyone cruised with a child under a year old?

My wife and I were blessed with a beautiful baby girl two weeks ago. We had a cruise scheduled for December but we cancelled it because we didn't want to travel with her or leave her behind at six months old. We rescheduled the trip for May of next year but our issue is still the same. Should we take a 10 month old on a cruise for seven nights or leave her behind and spend the cruise worrying about how she's doing?

My wife and I were blessed with a beautiful baby girl two weeks ago. We had a cruise scheduled for December but we cancelled it because we didn't want to travel with her or leave her behind at six months old. We rescheduled the trip for May of next year but our issue is still the same. Should we take a 10 month old on a cruise for seven nights or leave her behind and spend the cruise worrying about how she's doing?

Our DD was 6 months when she started cruising. Providing you plan well regarding food etc no issues whatsoever.

Enjoy your cruise.

Are babies allowed to sail at that age....... we had to cancel 2 from our booking last year as they had a baby that was only going to be 9 months, Royal Caribbean said no, babies need to be 12 months to sail ???

They can sail age but not on cruises that have three consecutive nights at sea.

Are babies allowed to sail at that age....... we had to cancel 2 from our booking last year as they had a baby that was only going to be 9 months, Royal Caribbean said no, babies need to be 12 months to sail ???

Depends on the cruise. Usually minimum age is 6 months, but if the ship has 3 or more consecutive days at sea, then the minimum is 12 months.

Our DD was 6 months when she started cruising. Providing you plan well regarding food etc no issues whatsoever.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks. I'm still going to try to convince my wife to leave her home, but it makes me feel better knowing that someone has traveled with a very small child and that everything went well.

Clarea, I'm with you. Working on convincing mommy.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking mommy might be moving closer to your point of view after a few months. Remember, you can book now and cancel without penalty before final payment date.

Edited by clarea

Depends on the cruise. Usually minimum age is 6 months, but if the ship has 3 or more consecutive days at sea, then the minimum is 12 months.

That is exactly the case. We cruised when my DD was 11 months. That was on Disney though, but just the same. Everything went well. It was actually good for me with breastfeeding, I did not have to worry about trying to keep up a milk supply, what I was and was not eating and carrying the milk back home. She did well and so did we. It did mean that we did not hit the adult clubs at night, but we were totally fine with that. We did book a balcony room and I would go back to the cabin, sit out there and read a book, while she napped. She did great at dinner and even the shows.

We pre-shipped our diapers and wipes to the ship and by that age, she was eating table food as well. I would have never dreamed of leaving my kids as babies, but the hubby would have been just fine either way.;)

Thanks. I'm still going to try to convince my wife to leave her home, but it makes me feel better knowing that someone has traveled with a very small child and that everything went well.

Your welcome, and congratulations on your new addition to your family:D.

At her age we arranged for in cabin babysitter on an evening. A little more expensive but well worth it.

That is exactly the case. We cruised when my DD was 11 months. That was on Disney though, but just the same. Everything went well. It was actually good for me with breastfeeding, I did not have to worry about trying to keep up a milk supply, what I was and was not eating and carrying the milk back home. She did well and so did we. It did mean that we did not hit the adult clubs at night, but we were totally fine with that. We did book a balcony room and I would go back to the cabin, sit out there and read a book, while she napped. She did great at dinner and even the shows.

We pre-shipped our diapers and wipes to the ship and by that age, she was eating table food as well. I would have never dreamed of leaving my kids as babies, but the hubby would have been just fine either way.;)

Thanks for the response and the laugh.:p

We waited until our son was 12 months old to take him on his first cruise. Being first time parents, we didn't want to leave him behind at such a young age. But at the same time we were worried about taking him on a long cruise, to off the beaten path countries at such a young and fragile age.

We "tested the waters" by taking a shorter cruise, out of our closest "drive to" port (to avoid flying with baby gear in tow), and we picked an easy itinerary with ports close to home and easy to navigate without having to take taxis or buses.

That's how we ended on the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau. Overall, it was a nice cruise, but I would be lying if I told you that there weren't some challenging moments, some "what have we done" moments, and even a "we need to cut our losses and fly home from the next port of call" moment :o, even though we'd tried to make things as easy as possible.

Traveling with a small child will undoubtedly be VERY different than what you're used to, but all of the extra sacrifices do pay off when you see the cruise through their eyes. For us, the experience opened the door to subsequent cruises. Our son is now 4 and he just completed cruise #5, including a cruise to Alaska which was also his sister's 1st cruise when she was 15 months old :).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are leaving her with someone you totally trust, like your parents, then there's no need to worry unduly! Grandparents take better care of grandkids than they EVER took care of you! That's a guarantee.

But, if you don't want some "couples" time, then bring baby, and it will be fine. You will have to pack much more than you ever thought, since the ship has basically nothing for babies....but it's no different than taking baby anywhere....

Wow - an hour and 15 minutes into this thread, and we have yet to hear from the "Don't bring a baby on a cruise and ruin MY vacation" crowd yet. Not bad - they'll be along soon enough.

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 10 months old and had a great time. He did really well and had no issues whatsoever. His second cruise is coming up and he will be 10 years old and his youngest sister will be 20 months old. Anticipating a good time, but will make the best of any issues that may arise.

I don't recommend leaving your little one at home - you will likely miss them immensely. These are the times to make great memories as a family!

i know others won't agree, but you need to do what you feel most comfortable with.

My son will be almost two when he takes his first cruise in December. My mother is coming with us to help out as well. We had a free trip to Mexico and I had to use it or lose it. My son was only 6 months at the time. I decided I wasn't ready to leave him or travel out of country with him at that time. I think by 10 months you will be fine bringing her. I can't imagine leaving my almost 2 year old so I'm not sure how your wife would feel about leaving her baby. Can someone come to lend an extra hand?

Wow - an hour and 15 minutes into this thread, and we have yet to hear from the "Don't bring a baby on a cruise and ruin MY vacation" crowd yet. Not bad - they'll be along soon enough.

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 10 months old and had a great time. He did really well and had no issues whatsoever. His second cruise is coming up and he will be 10 years old and his youngest sister will be 20 months old. Anticipating a good time, but will make the best of any issues that may arise.

I don't recommend leaving your little one at home - you will likely miss them immensely. These are the times to make great memories as a family!

i know others won't agree, but you need to do what you feel most comfortable with.

This is too funny. Thanks for the response. :)

But, if you don't want some "couples" time, then bring baby, and it will be fine. You will have to pack much more than you ever thought, since the ship has basically nothing for babies....but it's no different than taking baby anywhere....

I have just one thing to say: ROYAL BABIES & TOTS

The program is for kids starting at 6 months of age and they do an absolutely fabulous job. Our son attended when we sailed one the Allure and our daughter just attended when we sailed on the Enchantment. She loved, loved, LOVED it. She would actually ask every single day in her little toddler voice if she could "go play" (attend Royal Babies).

We'd normally drop her off at 7pm and let her play until around 10pm while mom and dad went to dinner, to a show, or just relaxed at the Solarium. Although she went for 2-3 hours every night, the nursery is open all day long, except for 3 hours mid afternoon.

They do have a toy lending program which we didn't take advantage of (we did bring some toys from home) but it was good to know that they had it. And for those parents that don't want to haul diapers and baby food from home, Royal is one of the few cruise lines where you can preorder these items and have them waiting in your cabin.

About packing: in 5 cruises with small kids, we've gradually learned to pack less and less for them. For this last cruise, the only thing extra that we packed besides clothing and diapers were an umbrella stroller and a small bag with some toys. We've learned that pretty much everything else is unnecessary for our needs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Aww, congratulations. :) Welcome to the most challenging, wonderful, frustrating, amazing part of your entire life.

Only you and your wife can make this decision but here is my immediate thought: your baby is two weeks old. I guarantee your wife is in no position or state of mind to make this decision right now, or even in a few months. Right now, baby is completely dependant on mother. Your wife can't even consider making this decision right now. Just a thought. :)

God bless.

My son will be almost two when he takes his first cruise in December. My mother is coming with us to help out as well. We had a free trip to Mexico and I had to use it or lose it. My son was only 6 months at the time. I decided I wasn't ready to leave him or travel out of country with him at that time. I think by 10 months you will be fine bringing her. I can't imagine leaving my almost 2 year old so I'm not sure how your wife would feel about leaving her baby. Can someone come to lend an extra hand?

We have eight friends and family members traveling with us but no other children.

Aww, congratulations. :) Welcome to the most challenging, wonderful, frustrating, amazing part of your entire life.

Only you and your wife can make this decision but here is my immediate thought: your baby is two weeks old. I guarantee your wife is in no position or state of mind to make this decision right now, or even in a few months. Right now, baby is completely dependant on mother. Your wife can't even consider making this decision right now. Just a thought. :)

God bless.

You're probably right. Thanks :)

Seems like it hasn't happened yet, maybe you're wrong:rolleyes: