New Izumi menu, Grandeur, July 3, 2014

There were sushi-making demonstrations (first sea day) and classes (for a fee), one for kids and one for adults. I do not know the fee, but I believe that they were very popular and fully subscribed.

:)

Merion_Mom

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the Grandeur Izumi menu, especially the close-up pictures so it's easy to read.

Two questions:

1) Is the cover charge now gone?

2) How are the gratuities handled?

Thanks,

Lou

Edited by loudbmw

Merion_Mom

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the Grandeur Izumi menu, especially the close-up pictures so it's easy to read.

Two questions:

Thanks,

Lou

Yes.

I don't know.

Sorry - not very helpful.

Thanks for the menu... Did you try the lobster roll? If yes, was it good? Any recommendations?

Holland America 2007

Disney Magic 2000, 2002

Disney Wonder 2001

Majesty of the Seas 1992

Sovereign of the Seas 1999

I'm disappointed to see the "Set Combinations" no longer offered. They had provided a combination of items from different sections of the menu.

My favorite is the "Ishiyaki Grill Set" which included:

• Shrimp Wonton Soup
  • Choice of Signature Roll (Crispy Spicy Tuna for me... yum!)
  • Vegetable Tempura
  • Choice of Hot Rock (the beef tenderloin was generally quite good)
  • Dessert

The page I found on the internet shows that it had a price of $17.00. It probably went up since then, and I can't recall what we paid last year, but it was a cost-effective way to try lots of different things from the menu.

I'm disappointed to see the "Set Combinations" no longer offered. They had provided a combination of items from different sections of the menu.

My favorite is the "Ishiyaki Grill Set" which included:

• Shrimp Wonton Soup
  • Choice of Signature Roll (Crispy Spicy Tuna for me... yum!)
  • Vegetable Tempura
  • Choice of Hot Rock (the beef tenderloin was generally quite good)
  • Dessert

The page I found on the internet shows that it had a price of $17.00. It probably went up since then, and I can't recall what we paid last year, but it was a cost-effective way to try lots of different things from the menu.

That would be too bad if the combos are gone. We did combos a couple of times, and I'm not sure we will be as interested in Izumi without them.

Plutoqueen -just wanted to chime in about the Lobster Roll. IMO it is delicious! DH does not care for Izumi so I make a point of going in for a quick lunch of the Lobster Roll. That's it, just the Lobster Roll:p.

Perfect sea day lunch when I can. Sadly have not been since (oh my gosh), January! Time to call my TA:eek:

I can speak for no other ship, but on the Grandeur, Darryl hosted a "cooking demonstration" of all of the specialty restaurants up on the pool deck just before lunch time (!) on Day 2. He passed around samples, then, of things like the Caprese Salad from Chops, the antipasti from Giovanni's Table, and several spicy tuna roll, California roll and shrimp tempura roll from Izumi.

THEN they were selling whole rolls from Izumi - you know, the way that you can buy them in the grocery store. Well, we can around here.

Like this:

publixcaliforniarolls.jpg

Merion_Mom

Two questions:

Thanks,

Lou

1) No cover charge. You pay for what you order.

2) We tipped according to the bill amount.

Thanks for the menu... Did you try the lobster roll? If yes, was it good? Any recommendations?

Holland America 2007

Disney Magic 2000, 2002

Disney Wonder 2001

Majesty of the Seas 1992

Sovereign of the Seas 1999

My husband really enjoyed it. I would give it a B rating. Also, I felt that their sushi was overpriced. But if you want sushi and are at sea, it's good for what it is. And I am willing to pay for good food but to me it was average.

Edited by billjessmaddie

These new prices charged for so-so sushi IMHO are crazy. I can eat fresh flown in daily sushi at a legitimate sushi bar for the same cost .

At least at the old somewhat reasonable prices it was not that bad of an alternative.

By day 4 of a cruise I question the freshness of the sushi offered.

Thanks for the info.

Pricing makes more sense with the cover charge now gone. Glad to see the Champagne Lobster rolls live. Funny, we went in for the Hot Rocks but found we lacked either the talent or sobriety for a palatable result. Give 'em credit on Serenade for walking us rookies through.

Unless they're putting Izumi on Independence in the next 6 months looks like we're outta luck on the next trip. :(

Edited by MichaelCMTX

These new prices charged for so-so sushi IMHO are crazy. I can eat fresh flown in daily sushi at a legitimate sushi bar for the same cost .

At least at the old somewhat reasonable prices it was not that bad of an alternative.

By day 4 of a cruise I question the freshness of the sushi offered.

Thanks for the info.

The prices seem high.

Isn't most sushi grade fish frozen anyway? To kill parasites?

The prices seem high.

Isn't most sushi grade fish frozen anyway? To kill parasites?

no. Good Sushi is always very very fresh. The prices are on low end of a very good sushi place. But no place I would eat at would serve sushi on Wednesday that was delivered on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by heyabbott

Pricing makes more sense with the cover charge now gone. Glad to see the Champagne Lobster rolls live. Funny, we went in for the Hot Rocks but found we lacked either the talent or sobriety for a palatable result. Give 'em credit on Serenade for walking us rookies through.

Unless they're putting Izumi on Independence in the next 6 months looks like we're outta luck on the next trip. :(

I wanna travel with you guys! ;) :D

Yes.

I don't know.

Sorry - not very helpful.

Thanks for posting this! The cover charge is what always kept me out of there, and I love sushi!

I guess being able to just walk into the old Jade Sushi on the Monarch spoiled me.

Thanks for posting this! The cover charge is what always kept me out of there, and I love sushi!

I guess being able to just walk into the old Jade Sushi on the Monarch spoiled me.

We got spoiled by Jade on Monarch too.:)

Edited by clarea

Thanks for posting. The price by itself, seems the same as a casual sushi restaurant, but given this is above and beyond the price I've already paid, I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it, especially since people are giving it a B rating and it's on a cruise ship. I've never had good sushi on a cruise ship yet. I could easily eat up to the chops cover, but I think chops is a good value for what we get.

Knowing me, I will give it a shot just because it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...