Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow 2x plus more for a single

I wonder if this is on web somewhere and if others are paying it

I hope it is not true

A friend sails solo & pays 200% but has not as yet paid the extra $500

I know several people who have sailed as singles and paid it

A friend sails solo & pays 200% but has not as yet paid the extra $500

I paid 200% as a widow for 9 years. In 2009, O offered single supplement 125%, free gratuities and $500 OBC to the Amazon. That was the only one as I recall. I paid because I wanted to go, had a free Delta business ticket and TA matched the OBC. Couldn't afford not to do this one. For those who prefer to sail alone and not with a roommate, you pay.

I paid 200% as a widow for 9 years. In 2009, O offered single supplement 125%, free gratuities and $500 OBC to the Amazon. That was the only one as I recall. I paid because I wanted to go, had a free Delta business ticket and TA matched the OBC. Couldn't afford not to do this one. For those who prefer to sail alone and not with a roommate, you pay.

I think they should have more offers like that

For those who prefer to sail alone and not with a roommate, you pay.

The Bereaved and the Singletons, as the "Bridge-Happy" Cruise Directors used to call them in my day, are not the only people who sometimes prefer to sail without a roommate.

postcardHAL_flagship.jpg The Rotterdam of 1959 and a number of other HAL ships had blocks of cabins in which a single bed and a desk were the only furnishings, bathrooms contained only a shower, sink and commode, and the closet space was half that of a standard.

025454.jpg Equally divided between what had been First Class and Tourist, these unusual cabins, originally intended to ferry Businessmen to Europe, became known as "Snoring Singles" when the ships took to Cruising, and were always the very first to be booked.

I've often surmised that they saved a good many relationships :rolleyes:

Edited by StanandJim

The Bereaved and the Singletons, as the "Bridge-Happy" Cruise Directors used to call them in my day, are not the only people who sometimes prefer to sail without a roommate.

postcardHAL_flagship.jpg The Rotterdam of 1959 and a number of other HAL ships had blocks of cabins in which a single bed and a desk were the only furnishings, bathrooms contained only a shower, sink and commode, and the closet space was half that of a standard.

025454.jpg Equally divided between what had been First Class and Tourist, these unusual cabins, originally intended to ferry Businessmen to Europe, became known as "Snoring Singles" when the ships took to Cruising, and were always the very first to be booked.

I've often surmised that they saved a good many relationships :rolleyes:

LOL. There would not have been room for my shoes and yarn. There were undoubtedly better deals out there on other cruise lines, but once I sailed on Oceania, it felt like home away from home and there were friendly staff I saw again and again and passengers as well. I felt comfortable on Oceania. I started thinking about the $500.00 surcharge which may be utilized for the staff. A single paying 200% only pays their share of the gratuities. Wrong but I cant think of why this would be an issue. The room is occupied to their satisfaction.

On its megaships (which most of us do not cruise and probably would not cruise) NCL has some "studio" cabins for single cruisers. I am told they sell out first.

As baby boomers age EVERY ONE OF US will be a potential solo traveler at some point.

It's Harry Sommer, Chief Marketing Officer at Oceania. I talked to our head of passenger relations and he assures me that our policy has not changed. There is no $500 extra supplement for Singles. If you have specific questions on a price, I suggest you talk to your travel agency again or contact us at 855-OCEANIA.

Thank you all.

Harry

It's Harry Sommer, Chief Marketing Officer at Oceania. I talked to our head of passenger relations and he assures me that our policy has not changed. There is no $500 extra supplement for Singles. If you have specific questions on a price, I suggest you talk to your travel agency again or contact us at 855-OCEANIA.

Thank you all.

Harry

Thank you Harry

Good to hear

Now how about some more "reasonable" fares for singles somewhere along the way . . . something for O to ponder.

On its megaships (which most of us do not cruise and probably would not cruise) NCL has some "studio" cabins for single cruisers. I am told they sell out first.

As baby boomers age EVERY ONE OF US will be a potential solo traveler at some point.

Yes in fact they are in a private area with a club for singles and different events however as said she carries 4500 pas. I wonder who is charging the OP the 500?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

While Oceania may not officially have a "single supplement" in their lexicon, they have a de facto one.

We booked three cabins on the same day, in the same cabin category, on the same deck. Based on the invoice, the "cruise price" for the one cabin with one guest is priced 200% plus $500 more than than each of the other two cabins that have two guests each...(As to additional charges beyond the "cruise price", to Oceania's credit the "port tax/fees" for the single occupant cabin is half that of the double occupant cabin.)

My sense is that this is not a temporary anomaly due to a current sale, but an ongoing pricing policy. The bottom line is that the "cruise price" difference is due to single occupancy.

Harry

While Oceania may not officially have a "single supplement" in their lexicon, they have a de facto one.

We booked three cabins on the same day, in the same cabin category, on the same deck. Based on the invoice, the "cruise price" for the one cabin with one guest is priced 200% plus $500 more than than each of the other two cabins that have two guests each...(As to additional charges beyond the "cruise price", to Oceania's credit the "port tax/fees" for the single occupant cabin is half that of the double occupant cabin.)

My sense is that this is not a temporary anomaly due to a current sale, but an ongoing pricing policy. The bottom line is that the "cruise price" difference is due to single occupancy.

Harry

Harry,

Did you see post #36 by hsommer?

You should not have to pay the extra $500.

I actually got to know 2 gentleman hosts on a cruise. They shared a cabin -- were sort of crew but not crew. Both gentlemen were good looking 60-70 year olds pretty comfortable in their own skins and both widowers. Why not? How did I get to know them. We travel as group of 3 and another single was added to our table -- a beautiful and lively 86 year old widow who "was living on my former husband's money" and often invited BOTH gentlemen hosts to our table. It was a riot!!!:D

For twenty years we have traveled with a female cousin as a party of 3. It makes me feel bad to know that she pays almost as much for one as we pay for two in better accommodations (she inside we balcony). It does not seem to bother me as much when she pays the same for the hotel room next to us as we do -- guess because it has always been that way. She (and thus we) have tried many things but almost impossible to find a good partner when frankly you are used to living alone. She is a light sleeper so most people snore too much (she hasn't the skill of knocking the snoring out of someone you love :p ) tried taking younger relatives as gift (OMG NO!), took lovely acquaintance who we knew from social group -- found out could not walk more than 50 ft. but she had a stroke before the trip and had to drop out.

Thankfully she can afford to travel single but it is a limiting factor for family groups etc. Perhaps some kind of deal if the single is with others? 2 cabin package for 3 people. Just an idea. sort of tired of the same deals we don't find attractive like 2 for 1 (yeah sure) and free air (not your scheduling) and others that are OK but are not the determining factor for me. Would be especially great on long and exotic journey (my favorites!)

Another way to think about it. Cruising is still cheaper than nursing homes for the same thing (room/board/entertainment/transportation/medical staff nearby (except Dr. on ship much better than Dr of record in nursing home) and social contact. Note to my children drag me to ship not home!

Harry,

I just tried two random dummy bookings without air for a couple and for a single. The total fare in an identical stateroom for two people was identical to the total fare for one person on both bookings. There was no supplemental charge such as you're seeing.

Based on my experiment and the statement from Oceania, I see three possibilities. The single may have ordered an extra $500 of "stuff," or your TA may have added the extra $500 to make up for lost commission, or the Oceania reservation system may have screwed up.

Have you checked with Oceania or your TA?

Dave

I just spoke to my TA, who I have been using for years and I have no reason to doubt his integrity. Oceania had called my TA presumably after seeing this thread. According to my TA, there was an unadvertised bonus discount from Oceania to the "cruise price" that could only be allocated per person, hence the $500 cabin price differential. I had not been previously advised of the bonus discount.

Perhaps the moral here is that cruise line pricing should be more transparent.

I just spoke to my TA, who I have been using for years and I have no reason to doubt his integrity. Oceania had called my TA presumably after seeing this thread. According to my TA, there was an unadvertised bonus discount from Oceania to the "cruise price" that could only be allocated per person, hence the $500 cabin price differential. I had not been previously advised of the bonus discount.

Perhaps the moral here is that cruise line pricing should be more transparent.

If I understand you correctly, what it appears is that you actually got only a $500 unadvertised discount instead of $1,000...sounds like you're still ahead!

This is a ripoff plain and simple. Anyone who wants to sugarcoat can delude themselves if they like. Frankly, it's enough to put me off Oceania completely and I'm not a single traveler.

Wripro, this is definitely not a policy of Oceania obviously there is an error somewhere..Harry should call Oceania himself, give them his reservation number and see what they say..Oceania DOES NOT charge an additional $500

..in fact they take the 2nd air off

Jancruz1

Sorry just got as far as Wripro and just saw other posts..

Edited by Jancruz