How to Kill a Roll Call

Orator

Some posters cannot list their location due to cruise critic rules

:confused: There are no CC rules like that. You may post the location of where you live if you wish. Like mine says South Carolina.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

It's also about respect - or lack thereof.

How is posting one's own thoughts disrespectful? Sure if someone posted "your event sucks and mine is much better" that could be construed as disrespectful.

Simply providing am alternate is no way disrespectful IMHO.

It seems that there are just some people who delight in litigating/legislating everything. To me a roll call should just be a free form forum for folks to exchange ideas and have some pre-cruise fun. :):)

:confused: There are no CC rules like that. You may post the location of where you live if you wish. Like mine says South Carolina.

LuLu

Sorry LuLu you are incorrect there are rules against it and they are enforced.

This is why we never join Roll Calls.

Actually that could be your loss. Lots of good info available on roll calls, plus the opportunity of making new friends.

And if for no other reason you know the people to avoid once on board.

Your purpose may not be the same as others', just skip over what doesn't interest you.

But sometimes it just takes tooooooooooo much time and I have a lot, but many Roll calls have toooo many pages(not threads) of BS is just too much LOL

The purpose of the Roll call is to transact private tours, meet others on the cruise, organize get togethers(for all or some) etc. However, it is not a place to talk about grandkids, and/or what for dinner, family matters. It will not happen, but the BS off the topic threads within a roll call could be moderated by a by partisan person. I'm willing to bet that many people would love to do this.

Edited by north29

Names makes sense to me (we wouldn't want to be addressed as Mr. and Mrs. Wpgcycler) but why do people need your cabin number? Is this a common practice?

On long cruises where there are many Cruise Critic activities planned, including private shore excursions, sometimes schedule and venue changes are necessary once on board. Cabin numbers provide a way to rapidly disseminate information on these changes. No one is forced to provide their stateroom numbers, although I might gently encourage them to do so by stating the benefits.

I was on a cruise in South America where another member had the same camera, but forgot his battery charger. Having my cabin number he was able to call me and ask me if he could borrow my charger. In other instances, people didn't find their invitations to the Celebrity Connections Party in their stateroom. Having cabin numbers, they could easily call another member to find out where and when the party was being held.

Furthermore, I have been on roll calls where people post their dining times and preferences. People who make friends on the roll call who are at the same sitting or dining room can then choose to link their reservations to sit at the same table. Again, no one has to post anything more than their user name. First names are nice, but when I maintain the roll call list, I never would ask for last names.

Others have suggested leaving out signatures. I like to look at lists of past cruises taken, sometimes finding a past cruise in common with the fellow cruiser.

On long cruises where there are many Cruise Critic activities planned, including private shore excursions, sometimes schedule and venue changes are necessary once on board. Cabin numbers provide a way to rapidly disseminate information on these changes. No one is forced to provide their stateroom numbers, although I might gently encourage them to do so by stating the benefits.

I was on a cruise in South America where another member had the same camera, but forgot his battery charger. Having my cabin number he was able to call me and ask me if he could borrow my charger. In other instances, people didn't find their invitations to the Celebrity Connections Party in their stateroom. Having cabin numbers, they could easily call another member to find out where and when the party was being held.

Furthermore, I have been on roll calls where people post their dining times and preferences. People who make friends on the roll call who are at the same sitting or dining room can then choose to link their reservations to sit at the same table. Again, no one has to post anything more than their user name. First names are nice, but when I maintain the roll call list, I never would ask for last names.

Others have suggested leaving out signatures. I like to look at lists of past cruises taken, sometimes finding a past cruise in common with the fellow cruiser.

Also tells you something about their travel experiences.

I like them too.

Which is precisely why we don't state on other sites like Facebook that we are going on vacation. But on Cruise Critic since no real names are used I don't see how giving your City and State would be an issue unless there is a way to tell who you "really" are that I'm unaware of.....

Try a google search of your first name, city and state/province.

If one has a common name and live in a large city, no problem. Mine pops up right away. On fb I do not use my real name either.

If one has a common name and live in a large city, no problem. Mine pops up right away. On fb I do not use my real name either.

You are too famous to hide :) You are correct, it is fairly easy to track someone down.

ah....I understand now....and your point is taken....frightening to consider....but still I appreciate your clarification.....thankfully the spelling of my first name is not the norm.....guess I appreciate that more now....:)

The purpose of the Roll call is to transact private tours, meet others on the cruise, organize get togethers(for all or some) etc. However, it is not a place to talk about grandkids, and/or what for dinner, family matters. It will not happen, but the BS off the topic threads within a roll call could be moderated by a by partisan person. I'm willing to bet that many people would love to do this.

Actually while I don't completely disagree with you, what you posted above is your perception of what a Roll Call should be. The important thing is how Cruise Critic defines it. Pay particular attention to the last point.

From the Guidelines section:

"Cruise Critic's ROLL CALLS are one of the most popular features within our community. In an effort to keep them fair and as safe as possible, the following is in effect:

- Roll Calls belong to everyone; there is no designated leader or owner. It doesn't matter who started the thread.

- On the other hand, if you are new to a Roll Call take the time to read the thread. Learn who is doing what, who made plans for an event, etc. before jumping in and making different plans

- If you plan an event, be sure to invite everyone!

- Please adhere to cruise line requests regarding setting up Meet & Greets on board. In other words, if they say contact us three (or two or whatever) weeks prior to sailing, don't contact them months in advance.

- ROLL CALLS are for people to get to know one another before their cruise; therefore, there will be all kinds of discussion!

FWIW, Facebook Terms of Service requires you to use your real name - so if they notice or anyone reports it, your Facebook account could disappear.

Hmm, I doubt Cathy in Central California would reveal much. . .

From the previous posts, it would evidently reveal that you weren't a travel agent.:D

Do we now have to assume that anyone who doesn't claim an area, state, or even country is a travel agent?

From the previous posts, it would evidently reveal that you weren't a travel agent.:D

Do we now have to assume that anyone who doesn't claim an area, state, or even country is a travel agent?

If you are a travel agent you can't, if you are not a travel agent you don't have to, so no it would not be safe to assume that everyone missing a location is a travel agent.

Some folks just don't want to have their location listed on the forum.

FWIW, Facebook Terms of Service requires you to use your real name - so if they notice or anyone reports it, your Facebook account could disappear.

I have a few backups... ;)

FB doesn't require you to use your real name as your USERNAME.

"If you select a username or similar identifier for your account or Page, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name)."

FB doesn't require you to use your real name as your USERNAME.

"If you select a username or similar identifier for your account or Page, we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe it is appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name)."

You're quoting the guidelines for "pages" for businesses or other organizations. Here's Facebook's statement for individual timelines:

What names are allowed on Facebook?

Facebook is a community where people use their real identities. We require everyone to provide their real names, so you always know who you're connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.

Names can’t include:

Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation

Characters from multiple languages

Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious)

Words, phrases or nicknames in place of a middle name

Offensive or suggestive words of any kind

Other things to keep in mind:

The name you use should be your real name as it would be listed on your credit card, driver's license or student ID

Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your real first or last name (like Bob instead of Robert)

You can also list another name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname or professional name) by adding an alternate name to your Timeline

Timelines are for individual use only.

KILL - lots of discussion about Elite events, Elite numbers on the cruise etc.

Our first Celebrity Cruise on the Equinox I felt like an outsider, and wondered if everyone on board except us would be Elite. Happily the cruise was wonderful and we made lots of friends, Elite or not.

BEST EVER ROLL CALL - Solstice in 2013, thread started by Bob who kept a great spread sheet and lists, but certainly never dominated the conversation.

We are always happy to give our cabin number, but would not criticise anyone wanting to be more private.

Hilary :)

I also don't like it when someone decides to be keeper of the roll call and details have to be emailed to that person who keeps a spreadsheet with names, activities etc rather than just updating the list on here. I'm sailing on a Celebrity cruise next year and have no idea of who is on the roll call as someone has taken charge this way. I would just prefer it to be open on the board for everyone to see and join in.

I agree with you as long as the roll call keeper doesn't want personal info. My experience has been that they often want your CC handle, real name, cabin number, where you live, your loyalty status, what hotel you're staying in pre or post cruise, etc. Many people, myself included, do not wish to have this info out on a roll call that can be seen by the public. That's why spreadsheets can be nice - they're not quite as accessible to just anyone.