How to Kill a Roll Call

Orator

I guess I am blessed. I have enjoyed all the roll calls I have participated in. Of course, they might not have enjoyed me participating. :D

I can't imagine that, Texed. We're going to miss you on the Eclipse Holiday Cruise -- just hope that we get to see you on another roll-call, in the future! :cool:

I can't imagine that, Texed. We're going to miss you on the Eclipse Holiday Cruise -- just hope that we get to see you on another roll-call, in the future! :cool:

That was very nice of you. Hopefully, we will meet on another roll call/cruise. :)

I have turned off all signatures and etc, but some have found a way to get around it and have their whole life history included in every post. Those are now on my ignore list

Then there is a certain poster with a female name that has a gazillion posts that are mostly nothings. She seems to troll roll calls and welcomes everyone and gets into conversations that are about as meaningless as a ten minute conversation when someone sneezes making a ton of useless posts out of nothing, eg

Post Someone sneezes

Post God Bless you

Post Thank you

Post You're welcome

Post No problem

Post You are very kind

Post Thanks for the compliment

Post You deserve it

Post Just being polite

Post Need more like you

This will continues on for no reason.

Then the troller will eventually claim that she will not be able to make the cruise and a whole new conversation starts about how everyone will miss her.

Guess what? After seeing her in action a few times she is also on my ignore list as I feel that she really contributes nothing to any thread except piling up posts. Problem solved. No longer see her banter.

For all I know I may also be on a few ignore list but what I don't know doesn't bother me, because as Tonto would say " Me tell um truth." :D

Cruise on 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

OK, I'm going to interject a thought. It is a pain when people copy all the pictures from another post. Particularly if you're trying to read the post someplace with limited bandwidth (like on a ship). However, it has occurred to me that perhaps these folks don't know that there are two ways to reply to a post. Perhaps we could try to gently educate them instead of finding fault.

I like active roll calls with people who are willing to reveal a bit about themselves. I also like cruising with people I've cruised with before. And I love meeting new people. Fortunately I've never cruised with a group that shut others out.

As for signatures, sometimes it's germane and sometimes not. I try to remember to turn mine off if it's not useful, but sometimes I forget. I'm at the age where CRS rears its ugly head more often than I would like.

Here's to great roll calls and great cruises with wonderful friends, both old and new!

Linda

As is evidenced by this very thread, each person has his own idea about what's interesting or important. It's just a slice of life and we have the choice whether to take it or leave it.

You have an excellent perspective on this. Can be applied to many things. I knew someone once that had a favorite saying: Stop shoulding on others.

Guess we see things differently. I organized a M&G - nothing fancy - just made sure the first timers knew the traditional time and place for our ship. Two weeks before sailing a late booker announced that she was on the phone with the cruise line "about other things" and asked them about arranging for the captain to stop by. This got the gathering moved to a different time to accommodate his schedule. So what she did was hijack the M&G.

Now maybe you're somebody who would be grateful she made the extra effort to arrange this. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive and sulking that another did a better job. But the new time overlapped a really fine lecture and forced everyone to choose one or the other.

I don't think we see things differently at all. I would agree with you completely that what this person did was way out of bounds. What I was attempting to convey was a compliment to people who are willing to do what you said you did. So in fact I was not only agreeing with you, I was complimenting your effort. This is a perfect example, I guess, of how the written word can be misinterpreted. :)

Post Someone sneezes

Post God Bless you

Post Thank you

Post You're welcome

Post No problem

Post You are very kind

Post Thanks for the compliment

Post You deserve it

Post Just being polite

Post Need more like you

Oh my goodness! Thank you SO much for sharing your kind, considerate, caring and gracious thoughts!

The world seems SO unkind and impersonal these days. It is SO refreshing and comforting to know that people who might very well be total strangers, who live thousands of miles distant from one another, who may come from different countries, different religions, different ethnic backgrounds, different cultures, different socioeconomic circumstances, different family backgrounds, different politics, different sexual orientations, and different educational experiences...

...can still show such deep and genuine concern for each other's well being!

That's what I LOVE so much about the WONDERS of modern technology exemplified by the internet in general, and CRUISE CRITIC roll call threads in particular! So many technological things these days have a propensity to be misused and tainted by the oh-so-sad tendencies of some miss guided individuals to serve purposes that might bring more darkness into the world as opposed to those who seek harmony, peace and light.

If only everyone could share in these priceless moments of heartfelt goodwill and enlightenment and realize how very fortunate we are to be alive in a time and place where at long last, so many enlightened people from all over this great big beautiful world, are beginning to come together in a spirit of blah, blah blah-blah blah... :p ;) :D :rolleyes:

One persons inane drivel, is another's deepest held feelings. Nobody MAKES you log on. Nobody MAKES you read it. You CAN scroll over what doesn't interest you. Both your finger and your mouse or screen WILL survive the trauma.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=song+get+over+it&FORM=VIRE6#view=detail&mid=DE094DF0A82AD9D2E993DE094DF0A82AD9D2E993

Edited by teecee60

Great Thread

The issue of a Roll Call where there is a dominant poster is very interesting and can be a killer or not.

Depends on the person (or persons). My 2 Celebrity roll calls had a clear leader who was nothing but friendly and informative.

She took it upon herself to organize events and create an amazing Google Drive spreadsheet which

was filled with great info that we could contribute to. We all contributed but she became the quarterback.

Some may have been put off by this . Not me!

Again this was because of her welcoming nature and desire to be inclusive. Plus her info was great and useful.

However- on my first roll call there was also a dominant poster who had started the roll call and very much considered it his.

It wasn't particularly active and that wasn't surprising. He responded to every single post.

Every single one !

The worst part was he arranged the M & G and then didn't show up.:mad:

All my subsequent roll calls have been an improvement.

I enjoy a good roll call and as a result met a special friend for life. Hi Sally.

I am a reasonably active contributor and have organized a couple of activities on TA's. What chaps me is late unsolicited advice from participants after the date, time and rules have been set. It takes some effort to get slot pulls, book clubs etc arranged. I am not opposed to early on suggestions, but please keep it to yourself after the plan is layed out.

Roll Calls are all different, some wonderful others awful. The best roll call ever for me was the Century cruise on Feb 15, 2014. It was a last minute cruise that Celebrity opened in June '13 and the roll call soared.:). Some of us are still in touch and it was one of our favorite cruises, mainly because of the fabulous people we met. Interestingly, the OP was also on that cruise but wasn't as active posting as many of us were.

Yes, some people can get carried away with assumed power or use the RC like free texting but just ignore them or walk away. A RC can improve a cruise but no RC should ruin one.

I actually love it when someone summarizes the first two hundred pages and is willing to put things into some organization. Especially, if I am a last minute booking.

I am a little surprised, but glad to know what bothers others, the thread as been informative.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

One thing I always look at when someone posts is where they come from. This is the most interesting thing to me and I think it is a shame that some people do not put a location. I have no idea why they would object to filling this in.

I always enjoy reading the postings on roll calls for any upcoming cruises. It is part of the whole cruise experience. Signing up to the roll call is almost as exciting as booking the cruise!

Some are more interesting than others but most provide lots of information which I have found to be very helpful. I look forward to the daily emails alerting me to new posts.

One thing I always look at when someone posts is where they come from. This is the most interesting thing to me and I think it is a shame that some people do not put a location. I have no idea why they would object to filling this in.

We don't like to announce to our home town that we will be on a cruise somewhere for a month (or two). Basically it comes from our insecurity, the same reason we don't post our real names on Cruise Critic.

We don't like to announce to our home town that we will be on a cruise somewhere for a month (or two). Basically it comes from our insecurity, the same reason we don't post our real names on Cruise Critic.

Which is precisely why we don't state on other sites like Facebook that we are going on vacation. But on Cruise Critic since no real names are used I don't see how giving your City and State would be an issue unless there is a way to tell who you "really" are that I'm unaware of.....

As is evidenced by this very thread, each person has his own idea about what's interesting or important. It's just a slice of life and we have the choice whether to take it or leave it.

A person with over 200 post from 6-3-14 about 1 tour he is running with same long quote,is more than a slice of life it kills a roll call IMO.

My sentiments exactly Ma Bell.

I have made MANY lasting friendships by first meeting cruisers thru CC. My AWESOME CC friends and I all booked a " REUNION" cruise 1 year later...and it was the BEST cruise ever!! :D

So please stop bullying and intimidating other CC Members about their posts and/or future postings. :mad:

OP....I believe you are on my upcoming TA in April of 2015. Sorry if you think my 3 posts out of 29 pages are not to your standards. In the future..I will not be offended if you "bypass" my posts if/when I post again on our thread.

Diane :p

Fargo, ND

Hooray!!! :)

Guess we see things differently. I organized a M&G - nothing fancy - just made sure the first timers knew the traditional time and place for our ship. Two weeks before sailing a late booker announced that she was on the phone with the cruise line "about other things" and asked them about arranging for the captain to stop by. This got the gathering moved to a different time to accommodate his schedule. So what she did was hijack the M&G.

Now maybe you're somebody who would be grateful she made the extra effort to arrange this. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive and sulking that another did a better job. But the new time overlapped a really fine lecture and forced everyone to choose one or the other.

Really that's what life is about. Choices we all make them. No big deal.

The function of a Roll Call to me is to help people to enhance their cruising experience by introducing fellow cruisers and providing useful information. A roll call is good to the extent that it does that, bad to the extent it doesn't. Some personal information is probably valuable since it might serve to connect people with some common interests, but one should be careful to save the details for private conversation. I too don't know why people want cabin numbers. The numbers may change several times as the cruise gets closer and anyone who needs to contact you can simply pick up a phone on the ship and ask for you by name. As said by others, cliques can be a killer both on the roll call and at any Cruise Critic functions. I've often noticed people using the Connections Party to connect with their traveling companions and no one else. I usually attend the gatherings by myself and often feel that I'm interrupting private conversation if I approach to introduce myself. I am not a shy person, so can just imagine how others feel. The same can be said about many of the "private" conversations on some roll calls. Announcement after announcement, post after post about private tours can be a real turnoff to those not involved. I started this post in the hope of having some who may be turning off their fellow cruisers recognize what they may be doing. My guess is that they post with all good intensions not realizing the impact on others.

Some background: We used to sail with our 4 daughters and so booking a private excursion for 6 was usually pretty easy. As they grew up we started sailing alone and I found Cruise Critic, where I could still participate in those private excursions (and save money , time and have a better experience than on the ship-sponsored ones). However, I was warned that sometimes clever thieves use sites like this to figure out homes that will be empty for specific times. So I never post my real name (or exact city). But I DO need to sometimes get in touch with others on our excursions while on the ship to set up meeting times, etc. I have never found ANY security reasons not to post my cabin number - that's why I ask for them and am willing to post ours.

So, after my long explanation, the short answer is that I find posting a last name to be a security problem but not my cabin number.

Or, make one a wonderful experience.

Roll Calls are a great way for people on a cruise to get to know each other prior to embarkation. I've been on some lively, interesting Roll Calls. I've also been on some where I just tune out. So that we might avoid the latter, what kills and what makes a Roll Call?

Kill: Extended conversations about personal matters between 2 people.

This is a minor annoyance

One person posting at least 25 % of the time.

One or two people appearing to trying to sell something.

Have been on several Roll Calls (:( ) with the same "group organizer" setting up excursions and "recommending" stores in ports ("tell them I sent you").

That has been a MAJOR kill!

Make: A good mix of new and experienced cruisers who are willing to share information.

People who have been to the Ports of Call offering insider information.

Anything to add?

And tteettimes:

I second that.....

Hail Mary!

Edited by chamima

Exactly!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

I always enjoy reading the postings on roll calls for any upcoming cruises. It is part of the whole cruise experience. Signing up to the roll call is almost as exciting as booking the cruise!

Some are more interesting than others but most provide lots of information which I have found to be very helpful. I look forward to the daily emails alerting me to new posts.

Some posters cannot list their location due to cruise critic rules

Really that's what life is about. Choices we all make them. No big deal.

Actually it CAN be a big deal if your "choice" is to disrupt a well organized event for which others have already made plans. I would hope that life is NOT all about selfishness - I'd even take the hokey pokey over that. ("that's what it's all a-bout" clap, clap )

Actually it CAN be a big deal if your "choice" is to disrupt a well organized event for which others have already made plans. I would hope that life is NOT all about selfishness - I'd even take the hokey pokey over that. ("that's what it's all a-bout" clap, clap )

It's about choices. People voted with their responses what situation they preferred to participate in.

The " well organized even"t could only be disrupted if others on the roll call chose to.

Possibly rather then a disruption it was an improvement? I don't believe roll calls are about taking credit, to me they are a place to just throw things out there and see what happens. They are just an added way to enjoy my cruising experience, allowing the pleasure to last a little longer. Ego doesn't need to enter into the equation, IMHO.

It's about choices. People voted with their responses what situation they preferred to participate in.

The " well organized even"t could only be disrupted if others on the roll call chose to.

Possibly rather then a disruption it was an improvement? I don't believe roll calls are about taking credit, to me they are a place to just throw things out there and see what happens. They are just an added way to enjoy my cruising experience, allowing the pleasure to last a little longer. Ego doesn't need to enter into the equation, IMHO.

It's also about respect - or lack thereof.

Some background: We used to sail with our 4 daughters and so booking a private excursion for 6 was usually pretty easy. As they grew up we started sailing alone and I found Cruise Critic, where I could still participate in those private excursions (and save money , time and have a better experience than on the ship-sponsored ones). However, I was warned that sometimes clever thieves use sites like this to figure out homes that will be empty for specific times. So I never post my real name (or exact city). But I DO need to sometimes get in touch with others on our excursions while on the ship to set up meeting times, etc. I have never found ANY security reasons not to post my cabin number - that's why I ask for them and am willing to post ours.

So, after my long explanation, the short answer is that I find posting a last name to be a security problem but not my cabin number.

I don't have a problem giving our cabin number to the organizer of a private tour, although I have heard a (possibly apocryphal) story of passengers who were harassed by someone from their roll call who knew their cabin number.

I would not give more than a general location for our home, since like others I don't want to advertise that our house will be empty. For the same reason, I do not post details of our trips on Facebook until we are home, and don't talk about them in public places like stores or the beauty salon. Maybe I am paranoid, but I also only show my destination address on suitcases, and have my home address concealed from casual observers until our return journey.