Find a better cruise line!!!!

She already has. ;)

Should have stayed with Carnival!

Interestingly enough, she received the same responses over there that she has received here!

:D :D :D

and from that post here is the wording from the person waiting 5 years for a response

" I enjoy Carnival too, but don't expect an answer to emails from them either. I have been waiting for 5 years...".

In reading the OPs post it sounded like they were talking about Royal, however the way I read this is don't expect Carnival to quickly respond either since they have been waiting 5 years.

To the OP, sorry you did not enjoy your cruise, but I agree with others that it appears you went in with a bad attitude and it got worse from there. Either give Royal another shot going in with a better attitude, or scratch them off your list. Thank goodness there are many cruise lines out there which meet various needs since none of us are the same!

Also to add, when a description says sofa bed AND pullman I have learned that the sofabed is really not a full sofa bed. On our Allure cruise we had this configuration and it was a sofa (that did not pull out) and a pullman over it similar to a bunk bed situation. We actually wanted the pullman so didn't have an issue with it but some may. As others have mentioned in the future look for a cabin that sleep 4 with only a sofabed, no pullman and you should be fine. Agree that the descriptions really are misleading but a little research could have pointed out a potential issue.

Edited by akcruz

Me thinks that if the OP had done more research about the deck plans/cruise lines, and come on CC a little bit more often she would have known about the chair bed and then could have made a better decision to get 2 connecting cabins and have the ability to have a "custom-suite". OR gone for the wind and gotten a Junior Suite!

I am sorry that you found everything absolutely wrong with RCI from the food, service, entertainment and of course the cruise itself was obviously not to your liking as well... and I'm sorry that you feel your vacation was ruined.

When you find that perfect cruise line that does everything for you, please come back to CC and tell us... we're all dying to know!

It's funny to me reading the OP complaints. Most if them are the same complaints I have about Carnival. I've given Carnival two cruises this year to redeem themselves and pretty much had the same experience on both cruises. Lack of service, mediocre food and poor entertainment. I mostly think it's due to major cut backs by cruise lines in order to offer cruises at lower and lower prices. I'm jumping ship to go to RCI! I say to each his own, we all need to find our niche.

Me thinks that if the OP had done more research about the deck plans/cruise lines, and come on CC a little bit more often she would have known about the chair bed and then could have made a better decision to get 2 connecting cabins and have the ability to have a "custom-suite". OR gone for the wind and gotten a Junior Suite! ...

Do you really think so? Is there anything published by the cruise line that indicates the presence of a chair bed in that room (or any other room, for that matter)? And what would they have asked about or seen on CC that would have indicated the presence of a chair bed in the room they chose?

Even if everybody on CC knew about the chair bed, should a cruiser need to come here to learn that "sofa bed" may not mean "sofa bed"?

Edited by time4u2go

Enjoy cruising on Carnival. Research is good to do before you go. Read cabin descriptions, and don't ALWAYS believe what the RCCL Rep is saying. They are human, they mess up sometimes too. Besides that they may not always completely understand what you are asking for. Yes, call and ask questions but make sure to ask questions that make sense so that they can get you the right answer.

Someone has said just above, you got exactly what you asked for which was three beds. Some rooms have couch beds, some have pull down beds.

I don't think anything bothers me more then someone not educating themselves, trusting other people to make it right, and then complaining because they gave what you wanted but did not give it in the EXACT way that you desired it to be. Take some responsibility.

Carnival has more ships anyway right? Enjoy the high seas on the party bus ships!

-RP27

I'm sorry, I don't read posts that are walls of text. I'm sure you may have something wonderfully informative to say, but the ENTER key is your friend.

I'm sure this was mentioned in the thread already. If you want people to read your thread, made it readable.

Me thinks that if the OP had done more research about the deck plans/cruise lines, and come on CC a little bit more often she would have known about the chair bed and then could have made a better decision to get 2 connecting cabins and have the ability to have a "custom-suite".

They don't warn you about the chair bed. They call it a sofabed.

My take away is completely different and just a small part of the whole story. He said the solarium pool and hot tub (he said Jacuzzi, but that is a personal scratching the chalkboard issue for me :) ) was open 24 hours?

That is my biggest gripe with RC lately. On both of my last two cruises, Jewel and Majesty, there were 0 open hot tubs after dinner. One of my favorite things about cruising or even when I am home, is a relaxing soak in warm (101F)+ water before bed.

I shouldn't have that problem on Freedom, but I do remember once on Freedom we couldn't use the 4 hot tubs in the solarium because of a dance party and only one on the pool deck wasn't full of kids and above 98.6. Even on Allure in 2011 it was an adventure to find one.

We had the chair bed in Russia/Scandinavia. I could NOT sleep on it. We mentioned it to our steward and he brought in a 3rd twin bed. Sorry you did not receive the same service. Granted, with 3 twin beds in there, we basically slept side by side (my gran, my mom, and me), and my nose literally touched the curtains to the balcony if I faced that direction (which was far better than facing my snoring mom! lol).

However, when in Alaska, one never needs to watch the drunks, wherever they may be. The view outside is truly something to behold and far more fascinating, whether out on deck or inside next to a window. And when the gorgeous scenery gives way to open water - watch for whales. ;)

Edited by travln1234

I can understand the OPs frustration on the bed to a point. I am a researcher almost to a fault so it's hard for me to have sympathy for folks that don't ask a million questions and then are upset after the fact. I think that is why trip advisor frustrates me to no end.

However, if she handled her complaint at customer service like she handled this post and it's replies, I can see why she got no resolution. I am the first to say something if I am not satisfied. However, I would never call someone an "idiot" or "stupid" or other names. There is a way to get what you want. Name calling and sarcastic replies are certainly not the way to go. Hopefully this was reserved for her post here, and not how she handled her in person complaint.

I also know that if there was no resolution to be had (ship full for instance), my mother would NOT have spent one night on that chair. She WOULD have a bed and I would have crawled my hefty behind into that Pullman every night. :p

You can attract more flies with honey than vinegar is what my Grandma used to tell me. :)

However, if she handled her complaint at customer service like she handled this post and it's replies, I can see why she got no resolution. I am the first to say something if I am not satisfied. However, I would never call someone an "idiot" or "stupid" or other names. There is a way to get what you want. Name calling and sarcastic replies are certainly not the way to go. Hopefully this was reserved for her post here, and not how she handled her in person complaint.

Bingo. I have always found that the times when I felt like I got really bad customer service, I look back on the situation and realize I was acting like a complete horse's butt, and the times that I came away feeling like I not only got what I want but that the service went above and beyond what I was expecting is when I went into the situation in good spirits, regardless of how frustrated I may have been. If you go to Guest Services on a ship visibly fuming (as the OP said he/she was) you're simply not going to get good service unless you're dealing with a true superstar in the agency. People are just more willing to work with someone with an open mind, its just human nature.

You can attract more flies with honey than vinegar is what my Grandma used to tell me. :)

lol while your Grandma was very likely a very smart woman, this old wive's tale isn't true!

I can understand the OPs frustration on the bed to a point. I am a researcher almost to a fault so it's hard for me to have sympathy for folks that don't ask a million questions and then are upset after the fact. I think that is why trip advisor frustrates me to no end.

Should they really have to "ask a million questions" in order to make sure that what's called a sofa bed really is a sofa bed? Why would an average cruiser even think to question that?

Let me quote my wife " you get what you pay for ". The only main stream line I've heard to stay away from is Caranval, because it's geared for those that want to relive Spring Break.

Otherwise, main stream cruising is like going to a mall. Some people like JC Penny and Macys either because that's their budget or that's what they know, others prefer Saks, Lord and Taylor or Nordstrom because that's their budget and or taste. Some like specialty shops stores like Talbots others gravitate to Marshall's.

If you don't like one, there are plenty more. The only thing worse than complaining about the store you shop in is have people criticize you for your opinion and taste.

Royal is Macys, trying to be something for everyone, tastefully middle of the road and relatively affordable. My parents, who cruise twice a year for the last 15 years, swear by Celebrity and they'd rather spend twice there than once a year on Crystal. They've been on Royal and think that Celebrity is noticeably better, that's their taste and opinion. If Holland America sailed from a convenient port, I'd chose them at my stage in life, 53, over RCI. But when you factor in flying to the port as opposed to driving 35 minutes to one and the aggravation of trying to either go from airport to sea port in the same day, or spending a night in a hotel in between, Royal gets my business. I understand what I'm buying and set my expectations accordingly. If they fail to meet my expectations and don't make good I'll take my business elsewhere. You can buy my loyalty, but a dozen free drinks, a paper weight and saving a couple of hundred dollars is below my threshold.

Man1: are you married

Man2: No

Man1: what do you do for aggravation?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why does everyone reply to this post bumping thread with how sorry they are?

I am not sorry. Be an adult. Of course if you had a childhood tragedy like the three year old who got less presents than his sister (geez), maybe RCCL should cut you lots of slack.

Hey. A chairbed is no sofabed, no argument there. But how we learn to work thru life is obviously something that has boiled down to a bunch of whiny complainers.

Should they really have to "ask a million questions" in order to make sure that what's called a sofa bed really is a sofa bed? Why would an average cruiser even think to question that?

Isn't that what CC and these boards are all about?? -----Finding the answers to your million questions you have before going on a cruise? :o

The OP came on here pouring salt on an open wound that she gave herself by not being open-minded and making demands on the first hour of her vacation. Had she come on here, even weekly before her Alaskan Cruise vacation and RESEARCHED she would have learned the difference between a sleeper chair/sofa bed/pullman bed. She could have also learned about the ENTIRE ship/food/entertainment/activities... etc.

I'd also like to point out... the dedicated thread for cabin info.

Doing research and exploring your horizons can not only educate you, but make you a better person.

Isn't that what CC and these boards are all about?? -----Finding the answers to your million questions you have before going on a cruise? :o

The OP came on here pouring salt on an open wound that she gave herself by not being open-minded and making demands on the first hour of her vacation. Had she come on here, even weekly before her Alaskan Cruise vacation and RESEARCHED she would have learned the difference between a sleeper chair/sofa bed/pullman bed. She could have also learned about the ENTIRE ship/food/entertainment/activities... etc.

I'd also like to point out... the dedicated thread for cabin info.

Doing research and exploring your horizons can not only educate you, but make you a better person.

This! Also seeing as the OP started this thread about doing this trip it would have been pretty easy to find out the info before having to deal with any of it. I'm sure someone on here would have been able to help out last year with the cabin choice that fit best what they wanted for their travel group.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1848733

Should they "have to"? Problably not. SHOULD they? I think so. Things happen and we've all been disappointed by things we can't control. But knowing what you are getting into is 100% the traveler's responsibility.

Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable, I did a search in this forum for "radiance 7566". First result I found was a review. With a picture of the exact room on Flickr. It took me 5 minutes to see the exact room in question. And saw there was a chair, not a sofa.

It's just in my nature to want to know. But the same 5 minute investment would have saved the OP a ruined, in her eyes, cruise.

Should they "have to"? Problably not. SHOULD they? I think so. Things happen and we've all been disappointed by things we can't control. But knowing what you are getting into is 100% the traveler's responsibility.

Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable, I did a search in this forum for "radiance 7566". First result I found was a review. With a picture of the exact room on Flickr. It took me 5 minutes to see the exact room in question. And saw there was a chair, not a sofa.

It's just in my nature to want to know. But the same 5 minute investment would have saved the OP a ruined, in her eyes, cruise.

So for what things should a cruiser do research to ensure that what is stated is actually what they receive? How does one know which things might not be as they are stated on the cruise line's website? I think it's ridiculous that a person should have to verify that "sofa bed" means "sofa bed". Should they also have to verify that "bathroom" includes a shower or tub, and is not a half bath?

Edited by time4u2go