105 Days To Go!

I can't believe how close I'm getting to double digits before my trip! I start my adventure to Australia in 105 days. The planning started when I booked my cruise on 13 May, 2013. I think I have every thing covered such as passports, visas, Sydney accommodations, airfare booked, excursions booked. I have my packing list ready. I've researched with all of you about many different things to see and do and have put together a nice little file. I so excited!

Thanks you so much for all the help and advice you have shared with me!:D

Teri

I can't believe how close I'm getting to double digits before my trip! I start my adventure to Australia in 105 days. The planning started when I booked my cruise on 13 May, 2013. I think I have every thing covered such as passports, visas, Sydney accommodations, airfare booked, excursions booked. I have my packing list ready. I've researched with all of you about many different things to see and do and have put together a nice little file. I so excited! Thanks you so much for all the help and advice you have shared with me!:D Teri

Hi, Teri!! I really like your first name. Good choice. What ports will you be visiting? As noted in the live/blog below, we completed in February a 14-day down under adventure. What ports are you visiting? Check out my postings. I am happy to answer any added questions, share info and visuals, etc. Good luck. It's well worth the trip to see these amazing locations.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 65,319 views for this fun posting.

Hi, Teri!! I really like your first name. Good choice. What ports will you be visiting? As noted in the live/blog below, we completed in February a 14-day down under adventure. What ports are you visiting? Check out my postings. I am happy to answer any added questions, share info and visuals, etc. Good luck. It's well worth the trip to see these amazing locations.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 65,319 views for this fun posting.

I've been reading your posts for quite a while. I love your review and all the pics. We are doing the 11 day Queensland cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas. We're staying 5 nights in Sydney pre-cruise. Our ports of call are Newcastle, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Brisbane. We've already booked the Jungle train and Skyrail excursion from RCCL. I totally loved your pictures from this area. We are doing the GBR thru RCCL as well. I think we're going to wing it in Brisbane, maybe just walk around the city exploring. We're still thinking about booking the Winery excursion in Newcastle.

I've been reading your posts for quite a while. I love your review and all the pics. We are doing the 11 day Queensland cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas. We're staying 5 nights in Sydney pre-cruise. Our ports of call are Newcastle, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Brisbane. We've already booked the Jungle train and Skyrail excursion from RCCL. I totally loved your pictures from this area. We are doing the GBR thru RCCL as well. I think we're going to wing it in Brisbane, maybe just walk around the city exploring. We're still thinking about booking the Winery excursion in Newcastle.

Appreciate your nice and kind comments on my travel reports and visuals. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

Other than passing through the Brisbane airport twice, we have not be in that city. Sorry, can't offer any specifics for there. From what I have read, it is a busy business-residential city, but not sure that its tourism attractions are as major as we found in and around Sydney, Cairns, Adelaide, etc.

Looks like with you booked key excursions from the ship for the rainforest and GBR that mean you are well covered. Let me know any other questions, needs.

THANKS! Enjoy your adventure! Terry in Ohio

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 66,393 views for this fun posting.

Just be aware that in Brisbane the ship docks a LONG way from the city. Unless things have changed RCI will have shuttle buses but charges $12/person each way. It's about a 40 minute ride.

In Newcastle there are free shuttle buses to town; it's a working port and you cannot walk out.

Airlie Beach is a tender port and whilst there are shuttle buses to town ($) it's only about a 10 minute walk.

In Cairns, the port is basically in the CBD, the same with Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just be aware that in Brisbane the ship docks a LONG way from the city. Unless things have changed RCI will have shuttle buses but charges $12/person each way. It's about a 40 minute ride.

In Newcastle there are free shuttle buses to town; it's a working port and you cannot walk out.

Airlie Beach is a tender port and whilst there are shuttle buses to town ($) it's only about a 10 minute walk.

In Cairns, the port is basically in the CBD, the same with Sydney.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sparky74 - Thanks for the heads up. I've read about Brisbane from this forum so I am expecting to pay for the shuttle into town. I read somewhere that you are dropped near a mall and that there are some things to walk around and see. Who knows? Maybe DH and I will just stay on the ship. We are renting a car the first day in Cairns and driving up to Port Douglas. That should be interesting since here in the US we driving on the opposite side of the road as you and the steering wheel is also on the opposite side! :eek: I offered to be the driver but both the men in our group kindly volunteered! ;)

Brisbane is really nice to walk around. I assume the shuttle will drop you close to Queen St Mall. After exploring the shopping area (and possibly some retail therapy) I'd suggest heading to Eagle St Pier which is on the riverside. It's a 5-10 minute walk. There are a number of nice cafes and restaurants here. Then walk south along the river. The walkway will connect with the Botanic Gardens so you can choose to walk through there or stay on the riverside walk. Both are nice.

Cross the river on the Goodwill Bridge to Southbank which is another very pleasant area to stroll around, with more good cafes and restaurants. Southbank also houses the Art Gallery and the Gallery of Modern Art at the opposite end from the Goodwill Bridge.

From Southbank, cross the river again on the Victoria Bridge and you will be back at Queen St Mall.

Most of this walk is flat and easy, with plenty of opportunies for refreshment stops.

Another alternative is to catch one of the ferries up the river and back. I did that once on the CityCat. We went all the way up the river, then all the way down the river before disembarking near our embarkation point. It was a very pleasant trip. I think there was some sort of day pass ticket which wasn't too expensive, but it was a few years ago so I'm not sure what they have now.

You will certainly enjoy Port Douglas. Fantastic eateries in town and at the marina or if you like prawns (shrimp) there is a fishing co-op at the beach end of Macrossan St (main street) with freshly cooked prawns and a lovely park where you could enjoy a snack with perhaps a cold XXXX, the local beer.