American table suspended until further notice?

I have not cruised in four years, so I have not yet tried the new menu, but whichever one we get on the Freedom in November, I will be ok with it. I know the old menu and am fine with it, but there is plenty on the new menu that I would like to try. Either way I know that I will be ok with the menu, and while I prefer a tablecloth, I will not be upset if there isn't one. I am just so easy to please:D Cant wait for Nov.:)

I would happily eat any menu as its served and cooked for me. Saying that though I like the fact the old menu (that I had last year) had more choices especially for dessert.

I do love the port of call specials though. Maybe they could add that to the original menu?

Never tried the soups but glad I will finally get to try Bitter and Blanc next month as we missed it due to being full on other foods last time.

"Liberty" still had the table cloths, even with the American Table menu. GOOD STUFF IMO.

"SKY"

I agree, change is good. Other than the tablecloth issue I gave seen nothing substantial to disagree with.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I miss the appetizer size of lasagne and other pasta dishes. It was wonderful to get the strawberry bisque and creme brûlée back.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

On the Liberty two weeks ago was able to get the pasta dish as an app pretty much every night

we sailed on the glory in april and the second elegant night's meal was soooo bad. Had me wishing it was a regular night. It's obviously done on purpose to encourage folks to eat at the steakhouse that night.

Sent from my iphone using forums mobile app

lol

I think some change would be good, I'm tired of seeing some of the same things. I do wish they'd change the ribs from Elegant night - their ribs ate fabulous but not what I want to eat while I'm dressed up!

I think some change would be good, I'm tired of seeing some of the same things. I do wish they'd change the ribs from Elegant night - their ribs ate fabulous but not what I want to eat while I'm dressed up!

I agree. Some change is good, but they dont have to do a drastic change, just add something here, and let an old item or two drop every now and then, a gradual change to the menu would be better I think than a complete overhaul. JMHO:)

I had some questions on my upcoming Freedom cruise so I went to John Heald. As we know, things are always changing. At that time he said no plans for American Table menu on Freedom. And they were adding old favorites(mainly soups)back on said menu. I won't swear but I think he said no more roll outs at this time. I personally applauded the menu choices(was on Glory for first week rollout) and still do. My problem was nothing tasted good. If it looks good on paper, the taste has to be there. I'm willing to give it another shot! We were not able to order off specialty restaurant up charges in MDR, but I like that option. (Had it on the Freedom of the Seas and loved my steak!!) my Freedom is August 24. Actually looking forward to menu. The Carnival Freedom was best cruise food I'd ever had. Hope the same chef is there!!!

Elegant nights on Glory, Feb 2 2014, tablecloths(every night but think that changed)one free champagne cocktail(think that was due to rollout) served rolls and poured water.

Other nights, no free drink:) rolls and water carafe were on table.

My overall impression was better tasting food needed! And lots of time was spent waiting on our food. Way too long!!!

Also on that cruise was a person retraining staff as complaints were lodged. And checking hours worked. No one was allowed to work overtime. We did feel that service around pools was limited. Guess they were on on time outs!! Somehow we were aware of that coming on board so we were glad they finally had an advocate!! Not a big deal. We can walk.

Ok. This got long. Sorry about that!!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I think they did with the new menus.

I agree, it is always interesting to watch and see how open people are to change. These people then turn into the growlers that say that Carnival is not innovative.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sailed on the Liberty in June. I enjoyed most of my selections from the new menus. As with any menu, there were some great hits and some big misses. Overall, I like the new options. It was fun to try regional cuisine on port days.

I missed the traditional service style though. I don't mind family style, but that is not what was happening at our table. There was one basket of bread for a table of 9. It wasn't enough to go around and no one offered to replenish the bread. We had to ask for water and tea. It wasn't offered. Bar service was non-existent in our area of the main dining room. I have no idea why service was so poor.

Reading earlier posts tells me they must think servers can handle more tables with the implementation of the new menu. It is certainly not fair to the staff. I can tell you without a doubt it affected tipping. It took almost an hour after service started most nights to get our entrée course.

I hope Carnival will take guest comments to heart and find a way to keep new menu items but restore the traditions of great service I have come to enjoy and expect.

Wife and I just got off Liberty on July 6th, it was our first look, taste and even knowledge of the "American Table Menu" because we hadn't been on a cruise in a few years (though we were Gold, we just took a couple years off) so it was a bit different but not wildly different, as there were table cloths (cloths, not "clothes") and the usual attentive wait staff. Sure the menu looked different, but it wasn't as if they turned the place upside down.

That said, we did notice a couple things;

The wait staff seemed disorganized and un-timed. There was no pattern or rhythm within my team or overall in watching other teams. In the past, it seemed as if everything had an order and a timing to it, I did not experience or see it on the Liberty a week ago.

Secondly, it is my opinion, as well as that of my wife, that the overall food quality has diminished. Whether this has to do with the new menu or economic reasons, I do not know. My parents are regular cruisers, and they've commented on the slip in food quality.

Now, I am going on a second cruise with my son this coming saturday on the Carnival Sunshine, so we'll see what if any difference there really is.

Wife and I just got off Liberty on July 6th, it was our first look, taste and even knowledge of the "American Table Menu" because we hadn't been on a cruise in a few years (though we were Gold, we just took a couple years off) so it was a bit different but not wildly different, as there were table cloths (cloths, not "clothes") and the usual attentive wait staff. Sure the menu looked different, but it wasn't as if they turned the place upside down.

That said, we did notice a couple things;

The wait staff seemed disorganized and un-timed. There was no pattern or rhythm within my team or overall in watching other teams. In the past, it seemed as if everything had an order and a timing to it, I did not experience or see it on the Liberty a week ago.

Secondly, it is my opinion, as well as that of my wife, that the overall food quality has diminished. Whether this has to do with the new menu or economic reasons, I do not know. My parents are regular cruisers, and they've commented on the slip in food quality.

Now, I am going on a second cruise with my son this coming saturday on the Carnival Sunshine, so we'll see what if any difference there really is.

You know, the 2011 menus offered a decline in overall quality, as well. Not just food quality, but with service being lessened from the implementation of the three man team.

, I am going on a second cruise with my son this coming saturday on the Carnival Sunshine, so we'll see what if any difference there really is.

Please post back your thoughts, we got off the Sunshine 2 wks ago and thought the food and service was wonderful!! And there is a chilled soup each and every night! ( bleh!)

I'm wondering how much market research they do before making big decisions like this? (I'm seriously asking.)

Didn't they buy new tables for the new system?? If they are going back to tablecloths on all nights now, wouldn't that have been a big waste of money?? It seems like they should have gauged people's opinions about the tablecloth/no tablecloth thing ahead of time. Also about the "family style" for certain things.

We are trying a new cruise line this year because I have become dissatisfied with all the changes that Carnival has been making. Specifically in the entertainment area (production shows, live music, etc.) and the dining (no tablecloths, 3 man team, drink service in dining room, etc.)

I came back to the Carnival board to read about the smoking on balcony issue and happened to catch this thread.

Maggie

Edited by maggieworkman

I'm wondering how much market research they do before making big decisions like this? (I'm seriously asking.)

Didn't they buy new tables for the new system?? If they are going back to tablecloths on all nights now, wouldn't that have been a big waste of money?? It seems like they should have gauged people's opinions about the tablecloth/no tablecloth thing ahead of time. Also about the "family style" for certain things.

We are trying a new cruise line this year because I have become dissatisfied with all the changes that Carnival has been making. Specifically in the entertainment area (production shows, live music, etc.) and the dining (no tablecloths, 3 man team, drink service in dining room, etc.)

I came back to the Carnival board to read about the smoking on balcony issue and happened to catch this thread.

Maggie

My guess is a lot. There were several articles in the cruise line rags talking about the company Carnival engaged to develop American Table (when they first announced it). I am sure there are many factors that go into those types of things (both internal factors and external - what the vendor brings to the table - pun intended).

Sounds to me that this whole thread is much ado about nothing.

We're not foodies, and we don't cruise for the food. We're fairly easy to please, and can usually find something we like, whether it's in the MDR or at the buffet. Whenever the discussion of food and menus comes up on here, I'm reminded of my favorite quote from the movie "City Slickers" :

"You ain't gonna get any nouveau, amandine, thin crust, bottled water, sauteed city food. Food's brown, hot, and plenty of it." :D

We're not foodies, and we don't cruise for the food. We're fairly easy to please, and can usually find something we like, whether it's in the MDR or at the buffet. Whenever the discussion of food and menus comes up on here, I'm reminded of my favorite quote from the movie "City Slickers" :

"You ain't gonna get any nouveau, amandine, thin crust, bottled water, sauteed city food. Food's brown, hot, and plenty of it." :D

Lol at beachbum! Brown, hot, and plenty of it! Lol. Yes, I think I've seen that on the buffet. ;-)

, I am going on a second cruise with my son this coming saturday on the Carnival Sunshine, so we'll see what if any difference there really is.

Please post back your thoughts, we got off the Sunshine 2 wks ago and thought the food and service was wonderful!! And there is a chilled soup each and every night! ( bleh!)

Be happy to report back, but I don't do chilled soups, as a matter of fact, in my opinion, a "chilled soup" is really something "juiced" and put in a bowl

I had some questions on my upcoming Freedom cruise so I went to John Heald. As we know, things are always changing. At that time he said no plans for American Table menu on Freedom. And they were adding old favorites(mainly soups)back on said menu. I won't swear but I think he said no more roll outs at this time. I personally applauded the menu choices(was on Glory for first week rollout) and still do. My problem was nothing tasted good. If it looks good on paper, the taste has to be there. I'm willing to give it another shot! We were not able to order off specialty restaurant up charges in MDR, but I like that option. (Had it on the Freedom of the Seas and loved my steak!!) my Freedom is August 24. Actually looking forward to menu. The Carnival Freedom was best cruise food I'd ever had. Hope the same chef is there!!!

Elegant nights on Glory, Feb 2 2014, tablecloths(every night but think that changed)one free champagne cocktail(think that was due to rollout) served rolls and poured water.

Other nights, no free drink:) rolls and water carafe were on table.

My overall impression was better tasting food needed! And lots of time was spent waiting on our food. Way too long!!!

Also on that cruise was a person retraining staff as complaints were lodged. And checking hours worked. No one was allowed to work overtime. We did feel that service around pools was limited. Guess they were on on time outs!! Somehow we were aware of that coming on board so we were glad they finally had an advocate!! Not a big deal. We can walk.

Ok. This got long. Sorry about that!!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I remember John Heald posting in April that Freedom would have American Table in June. And then people are saying that didn't happen, but John didn't give an update. And then I just read elsewhere that AT will still happen on Freedom later this year and that AT would appear on Pride around September. I wish Carnival would let their guests know what to expect, at least in the near term even if they can't give us a fixed schedule.

When I went on Glory in December, we had the American Feastn menu. First off, the new tables were sharp and looked very nice without the tablecloths. They did use them on the elegant nights. My biggest problem with the new menu was the lack of consistency and the lack of taste. Many items were downright terrible and inedible. The lack of consistency was also a huge issue - four people could order the same entree and receive it four different ways. There were nights where meat would come in a dish when it never mentioned meat in the dish. This was a major issue as we had non-meat eaters at the table and then the waitstaff needed to go find something else for the person. There was one night where three people ordered the same pasta dish - two came with chicken and one came with sausage. Things like that just should not happen. The surprising highlight of the food was how good their vegetarian options (when they were truly vegetarian) were.