Requesting an egg crate for your bed.

lovevacadays

I just got off the phone with Princess, asking about an egg crate topper for our Aug. 19 cruise. After a brief hold he told me they were already all taken for my booking but that I could contact the purser's desk once on board. So I'm hoping that avenue works for us, since we found the bed on the Star Princess in April to be rock hard!

I got the same response last month. Don't waste your time with the purser. Just ask your cabin attendant. They will find one for you. After all the purser doesn't get tips; but the attendants do.:D

Good advice...thanks! I had actually thought that might make more sense. And not even from the tip stand point. I figured the stewart would just go to his supply closet and look for one.

You are correct. And the tip reference was more that the steward is more concerned about you on a personal level than the purser; since they might deal with you everyday. Good luck.

Good advice...thanks! I had actually thought that might make more sense. And not even from the tip stand point. I figured the stewart would just go to his supply closet and look for one.

Oops...Stewart the steward! Can't even blame fat fingers for that typo!!

Just ask your cabin attendant. They will find one for you.

And I'd highly recommend requesting one of the greatly improved pillowtop mattress pads which are soooooo much better than the old broken down eggcrate ones. The pillowtop mattress pads are queen size however my cabin steward folded one in half to put on my twin bed configuration. :D

And I'd highly recommend requesting one of the greatly improved pillowtop mattress pads which are soooooo much better than the old broken down eggcrate ones. The pillowtop mattress pads are queen size however my cabin steward folded one in half to put on my twin bed configuration. :D

I wish I had known that they had them. :(

I wish I had known that they had them. :(

My experience has been that they won't use a pillow-top mattress pad unless you ask for it because they probably have fewer of them available. Hopefully their slow replacement program for new mattresses like on those on the new ships will be completed soon & cushioned mattress pads will not be necessary.

It sure would be nice if the Golden's mattresses were upgraded by November.:):):)

Yes Michelle...I must be jinxed as I have never had a new pillow-top mattresses on any ship except on the Royal where everybody had one. ;)

Sailing the month of March on the Golden our obstructed oceanview quad cabin definitely did not have the new mattresses. And we'll never have another quad room again because to minimize the chances of bumping our heads on the upper bunks protruding from the sidewalls we split our beds into twins.

I've also never had a new mattress. I sail in the cheap seats so maybe they start at the top and work down to us in the interiors.

thanks for the heads up about the pillow-top mattress pads, I had no idea they had these, I thought it was only egg crates or the thin toppers they had.

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises

ATTN: Special Services

Number of Pages: 1

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place an egg-crate mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Passenger: Booking Number: Voyage Number: Ship’s Name: Date:

Cabin Number: Thank You

I use this same format and have been pretty lucky just needed to ask once and it was done that evening. And this was from the young man we never saw again in 14 days, but the cabin was always done.

Be sure to bring the copy of your FAX with you it helps if you run into any issues with if you asked or not.

Have a great day

Unless one books early when bookings open there are never any available.

On my cruise in October I have purchased yet another Egg crate which I usually leave on board on departure.

Mine is a genuine medical reason but it makes no difference

.My next cruise after this one is a year on a few months out still none available on board.Seems they get booked up straight away.

Still they are very reasonably priced to purchase and one knows its fresh and clean then:)

forgive my ignorance but what is an 'egg crate topper'? and why would there be no top sheet on the bed? is that standard for princess cruises?

It used to be like these....

th?&id=HN.607988080219391552&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Now its just a regular foam pad without the crates. :eek:

They just don't make the bed with a top sheet, just the comforter!

I have to have a top sheet.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It used to be like these....

th?&id=HN.607988080219391552&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Now its just a regular foam pad without the crates. :eek:

A top sheet is a must for me! If I didn't have one I would probably take it to management on the ship.:D

Edited by MichelleinOC

Is this an issue on the Caribbean Princess as well? Are we likely to need mattress toppers? Are they available on that ship?

We've never sailed Princess before, although we've been on 30+ cruises. We don't know what to expect.

Is this an issue on the Caribbean Princess as well? Are we likely to need mattress toppers? Are they available on that ship?

We've never sailed Princess before, although we've been on 30+ cruises. We don't know what to expect.

Mattress comfort is subjective...some of us request a mattress pad and others are okay with the mattress. On the new Princess ships all beds have a pillow-top mattress and on the other ships they're gradually being added. If you need a mattress pad request it from your cabin steward who has always found one for us.

Princess has duvets not comforters. The duvet cover functions like the sheet and is changed as often as the fitted sheet (i.e., always for new passengers and then on a schedule depending on the length of the cruise). The duvet itself serves the function of the blanket. Duvets are very common in Europe and in some higher end hotels in the States. But as noted, you can request a top sheet to go between you and the duvet.

Edited by capriccio

• 6 months later...
Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises

ATTN: Special Services

Number of Pages: 1

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place an egg-crate mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Passenger: Booking Number: Voyage Number: Ship’s Name: Date:

Cabin Number: Thank You

From the Cruise Answer Book on Pg 4: http://www.princesscruises.de/wp-content/uploads/brochures/cruiseanswerbook.pdf

It shows this fax number for the "Celebrations" special food and beverage orders pre-cruise.

Advice: the egg crate toppers, from our experience, are useless. Pack a memory foam mattress 2" thick in a space bag, vacuum out the air and pack it or carry it on the plane. Upon disembarkation, borrow your room stewards vacuum. Been doing this for years.

Yes & also on the Regal and slowly being added to other Princess ships.

We did not have a pillow-top mattress on Regal last month. Our bed was hard as rock and we awoke with back-aches many days.

Edited by MickeyandLV
spelling error