15 Day Cruise To Hawaii - SOLO!

Jinx65

I've taken 2-3 day cruises alone before, but wanting to take 15 day to the Hawaiian islands. I've always been comfortable in my skin and will go places alone. There have been a few instances that I've felt uncomfortable, but not enough to stop me.

Another issue I am wondering about is how to financially prepare for it. I am not wanting to go until 2016 because I do need to save spending money, and pay for trip.

Has anyone done this length of cruise alone and how was it?

Thank you!:)

I'm off on my 6th 2 week cruise this Friday :) & my 10th solo cruise. They have mostly been in Europe. I only went for 7 days for the first 2, just to see if I liked it, and found they are definitely the holidays for me, but a week just isn't long enough for me for my main summer holiday so now I try to have 1 long cruise a year, although I have since had a couple of 1 week cruises as extra holidays.

If you know you like cruising anyway being away longer just gives you more chance to relax and more places to see. A couple have been b2b cruises so you meet new people mid week, but if its one long cruise then you have time to get to know people.

Hawaii is on my list of cruises to do, although the ones I've seen seem to have a lot of sea days, so I'm thinking a week there on land & then a week cruising around the islands might be better.

I'll need to save up for that too though :)

Edited by GaryT-UK

I guess the longest cruise I've done alone (or otherwise) was 19 days. I had no problem with that, although I often think that around 2 weeks is the optimum length for a cruise.

So 15 days to Hawaii and back sounds good to me...and, in fact, I'm also thinking about doing that. :-)

Last year I took a 10 day transatlantic that included 8 sea days, and I liked it so much I've booked a 15 day transpacific with only 1 port stop followed by 10 days doing a solo road trip in New Zealand. It will be the longest vacation I've ever taken, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I've taken 2-3 day cruises alone before, but wanting to take 15 day to the Hawaiian islands. I've always been comfortable in my skin and will go places alone. There have been a few instances that I've felt uncomfortable, but not enough to stop me.

Another issue I am wondering about is how to financially prepare for it. I am not wanting to go until 2016 because I do need to save spending money, and pay for trip.

So far 10 days is the longest I've cruised at one time but am going to be booking 2 wks and longer if I can afford it. I love cruising solo. My biggest worry is getting to and from the cruise alone. I'm retired, and have learned that a lot of preplanning is necessary for me - go in a day before, book hotel, airport shuttle, etc. Now that I've done that about 4 times, it's getting to be easy. Just do your homework.

As far as paying for it, I also book ahead of time, and make regular payments on the cruise. About 3 cruises ago, I started putting $5 and $1 dollar bills in a box. Each day I checked my change and put any 5's and 1's away. You would be amazed at what you end up with. I usually have enough to pay for shore excursions, tips, special dinners, etc. Enjoy your cruise! :)

My last cruise was 118 days and I loved it. My longest previous cruise was 14 days but I had no problem with a long cruise. As you have cruised solo before and are comfortable with it, you should not have any problems.

Try putting away a certain amount (as much as you can) each pay day to help cover the cost. I also do what bjbear does putting aside ones and fives which I use for tips, spending money, etc. on the cruise.

Thank you everyone for your great input and ideas for saving towards the trip. I became pretty excited thinking about it and decided to do it. The longest vacation I've ever taken was a week. Looking forward to this trip.

Thank you again everyone for your input.

The cruise is through Princess, but I need to check out the other one. And thank you.:D

*Edit* I checked it out but they only have one leaving from Canada. I am leaving from Los Angeles.

Edited by Jinx65

Jinx, As a solo, NO Hal.Tried Hal once, 14N. as a solo was rudely treated.Solos are outcasts to the Married folks on HAL. Food, service lousy also. Just do a guess about total cruise cost; put away necessary prorated amount from each paycheck. Easy. Princess does a nice job in Pacific.West coast discounters offer good pricing.

Jinx, As a solo, NO Hal.Tried Hal once, 14N. as a solo was rudely treated.Solos are outcasts to the Married folks on HAL. Food, service lousy also. Just do a guess about total cruise cost; put away necessary prorated amount from each paycheck. Easy. Princess does a nice job in Pacific.West coast discounters offer good pricing.

Oh no I don't want to deal with that type of stuff. Thank you for the tip on how to save up. I've been on Princess before and enjoyed it.

I've done 3 solo transatlantics so far (2 on Celebrity, 1 Azamara) that were about 2 weeks each, and I just got back from a 12 day Baltic cruise on Holland America, also solo. I didn't feel I was poorly treated by HAL (or the other lines either) in any way onboard. I'm sorry that some have had this experience but mine was great.

Anyhow, I love the longer cruises because it really gets me out of work mode and into vacation mode. I think you really need 2 weeks to do that. Of course, what they do to my weight is not so good... :)

Well, the longest I done is 10 nights; however, it is not uncommon for solos to do those extended world cruises. I followed one gal's blog who did the world cruise on HAL Amsterdam as a solo and she had a wonderful time. If you get involved with your Cruisecritic roll call's discussions, participate in the on board meet and greet and arrange to sit at a large table there is no reason you can't have a great time and meet people...other singles and couples. I think too with the longer voyages it more leisurely and you to get to know people over time vs the rush of a 7-day cruise with everything packed together. As I've always stated on these boards...if you have the time, money and desire...GO.

Another cruise line to look at is NCL. Their Pride of America does have 4 studio rooms. I was booked on a "cruise tour" which included 3 nights in Maui prior, flight and 7 night cruise that visits all 4 islands and includes 2 overnights for next July for $5500. However they ran a promo last month that let me change my booking and for $2400 more I was able to upgrade to a balcony guarantee, and include a second person (including their flight) and only lose one night in Maui.

I did an 11 night cruise solo to Hawaii on Celebrity last year. It was excellent (well, other than the first day when for the first time in my life I was seasick!). Met a bunch of nice folks on teh roll call, met some friendly folks on board, did things with new friends, did things by myself -- it was all terrific.

I usually do the late fixed seating for dinner, but something got messed up and I was put in early dining. I can't eat dinner that early, so I switched to the flex dining. They wouldn't seat me with other people (said it would take too long to fill a table), so I ate alone the first night. After that, I ended up hanging with friends who were also on flex dining, so we usually ate together.

As for the financial end, absolutely start saving up now. But also keep a lookout for last minute deals. I booked my trip last year just after final payment was due, and got a phenomenal deal. Booked a guarantee balcony, and ended up with a gorgeous aft view. All at a ridiculously low price, even with eeh single supplement. So if you just keep an eye out, you might find yourself traveling before you know it!

Both Celebrity and RCL do an 11 day repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver in April 2016. I am booked on RCL and am very excited about this cruise which I booked during the BOGOHO sale (buy one get one half off). Great roll call - lots of experienced cruisers. The Rhapsody used to do this route, but in 2016 it will be the Radiance. Love the RCL radiance class ships - did two TA's on the Brilliance this past year and loved the people and the ship.

I have done this itinerary solo on The Carnival Spirit before it moved to Australia.

One of my favourite cruises. It was return San Diego 15 days, then I did the B2B following 3 day cruise up to Vancouver.

There was a great roll call and on the sea days we played LRC, slotpulls cabin crawls etc and many private tours on the islands.

These cruises to Hawaii are usually more expensive though.

I wish I could sail for 15 nights:).....those longer cruises always seem

to having bad timing for me:rolleyes:....I have to be in the office at the end

of the month........:eek: I would love to go to Hawaii...checked April 2016

but it sails the Middle of the month and gets back too late in the month.......

One day.......

I hope you have a great cruise:D

Edited by Lois R

Totally different experience here with solo on HAL on a 20 night cruise. The staff were great, no issues with other pax (except for one pax- but jerks could be anywhere and I set him straight). Recommend joining roll call also. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Both Celebrity and RCL do an 11 day repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver in April 2016. I am booked on RCL and am very excited about this cruise which I booked during the BOGOHO sale (buy one get one half off). Great roll call - lots of experienced cruisers. The Rhapsody used to do this route, but in 2016 it will be the Radiance. Love the RCL radiance class ships - did two TA's on the Brilliance this past year and loved the people and the ship.

I tried to look this up on RCL bur couldn't find it. Can you post a link? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the 2 week cruise from Florida to Hawaii to California. The large cruise ship was not a good way to see Hawaii for the first time. You finally get off the ship and have 8-10 hours to see an island so you have to choose which side of the island to see. Because of the size of the ships we couldn't stop in 2 of our ports due to the swells and not being able to use the tenders, so we went back to a port we had already been to. People were upset because they had golf, tours and rental cars set up. Also when you have 2200 people who are all trying to board and are lined up in the hot sun and there are like 4 tenders taking 100 people at a time and all bags have to be searched before you could get on the tender and then before you got on the ship they are put through a scanner, it was awful. They did come along every couple of hours and got the elderly. I can truly say I saw the ship that is underwater and the tourist areas around port for shopping and a city tour but I did not see Hawaii. Go to the islands and spend a day or 2 at each island,get a nice hotel, see both sides of the island:cool:. i will go back some day.

I'm doing the 15 day Hawaii cruise on Princess (from San Francisco) in Feb. I'll be my 2nd solo & 2nd 14+ days as solo. I have lots of experience on Princess, so I have no concerns there.

My previous solo/14 days was on HAL. Loved the itinerary, not so thrilled w/HAL or the ship, but I always choose the itinerary first & take whatever ship it comes with.

I love sea days (lots of time to read/look at the waves!) & I've been to Hawaii several times (land & sea).

I'm really looking forward to this trip!:)

• 4 months later...

Not to pay for the cruise but for trips and spending money, as soon as I book a cruise, I take all my loose dollar bills from my wallet and put into a box. Cruise time usually have several hundred dollars!

I did an 11 night cruise solo to Hawaii on Celebrity last year. It was excellent (well, other than the first day when for the first time in my life I was seasick!). Met a bunch of nice folks on teh roll call, met some friendly folks on board, did things with new friends, did things by myself -- it was all terrific.

I usually do the late fixed seating for dinner, but something got messed up and I was put in early dining. I can't eat dinner that early, so I switched to the flex dining. They wouldn't seat me with other people (said it would take too long to fill a table), so I ate alone the first night. After that, I ended up hanging with friends who were also on flex dining, so we usually ate together.

As for the financial end, absolutely start saving up now. But also keep a lookout for last minute deals. I booked my trip last year just after final payment was due, and got a phenomenal deal. Booked a guarantee balcony, and ended up with a gorgeous aft view. All at a ridiculously low price, even with eeh single supplement. So if you just keep an eye out, you might find yourself traveling before you know it!