Passport question

I will be sailing on RCI's Explorer of the Seas August 28-September 6, 2014. My passport expires December 8, 2014. We sail from and back to USA ports with 2 Canadian stops. I read online that the passport should be good 6 months from end of travel. Will I have problems on this cruise if I use my passport that expires in 3 months from end of travel?

I will be sailing on RCI's Explorer of the Seas August 28-September 6, 2014. My passport expires December 8, 2014. We sail from and back to USA ports with 2 Canadian stops. I read online that the passport should be good 6 months from end of travel. Will I have problems on this cruise if I use my passport that expires in 3 months from end of travel?

No problem. The 6 month think is for land based vacations to certain countries

No problem. The 6 month think is for land based vacations to certain countries

That's not correct...

The 6 month rule is imposed by foreign countries, not the USA. It means your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter a foreign country. There's no distinction as to how you arrive.

Canada has not imposed the 6 month rule. The OP doesn't mention the itinerary, but will likely not have any issues. IMHO it wouldn't hurt to call RCI to be sure.

Lew

You will not have any problems. To re-enter the USA it just needs to be valid. Canada only recommends a passport. If you use it it must only be valid for the length of your stay.

You need a passport valid for three months to enter Europe and 6 months even for a cruise to Turkey.

That's not correct...

The 6 month rule is imposed by foreign countries, not the USA. It means your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter a foreign country. There's no distinction as to how you arrive.

Canada has not imposed the 6 month rule. The OP doesn't mention the itinerary, but will likely not have any issues. IMHO it wouldn't hurt to call RCI to be sure.

Lew

I am correct. Closed loop cruise Canada or Caribbean, no problem Edited by SeaUs

That's not correct...

Lew

For the cruise in question all that is needed is a birth certificate and a govt issued photo ID.

Why would a valid passport with less than 6 months not be good?:confused:

As long as it has 1 day validity left on the passport when the cruise ends is all that matters for this cruise.

Bill

That's not correct...

Lew

Did you know that some countries will require 6 months Validity "From Departure" of that country, I am pretty sure India is one as is China.

OP 3 months validity for the majority of the developed countries with much of Asia requiring 6 months, French pacific islands also require 6 Months, Europe 3 months with UK only requiring a valid foreign passport to enter.

Canada has a 3 months requirement on entry but have not enforced it for years, this does not apply to US citizens visiting Canada all that is needed is a valid passport if passport is the method you use:)

All the above can also be limited to where you where actually born or to which country you are a citizen, Many Asians for example visiting another Asians country do not need the 6 month validity.

The rules as said are imposed by Foreign countries.

Not sure what its all for as it wasnt always this way? I am presuming its in case you are detained in that country for any reason or overstay your visa or they may need to deport you to another close by country other than your own which would be impossible to do without a valid passport:confused:

Depending on which different RCCL terms & conditions you read (and they vary) some say that:

For all international sailings a valid passport and appropriate

visa will be required. You are responsible to ensure that you

have all necessary visas and that your passport is up to date

and will remain valid for at least 6 months from the date of

the termination of your cruise.

So at the risk of disagreeing with everyone else, if you are actually using the passport for identification, then you should make sure that it has 6 months left just to make sure that you don't ruin your holiday.

Depending on which different RCCL terms & conditions you read (and they vary) some say that:

So at the risk of disagreeing with everyone else, if you are actually using the passport for identification, then you should make sure that it has 6 months left just to make sure that you don't ruin your holiday.

As stated above that is an incorrect answer if your answer was intended for the OP.

Bill

As I said, it depends on which RCCL web site you visit and where you booked your tickets even if you are a US citizen. There are 2 separate components to authorizing your travel, the border control people (in this case CBP and State) and the carrier (in this case RCCL). To break it down...

1. The web site of the US State Department states that for a closed loop it does not mention the minimum length remaining.

2. The requirement by the carrier (Royal Caribbean) depends on the specific terms and conditions that you booked your ticket under. If you book your ticket under the US T&C then there is no 3 or 6 month requirement. If you book it under different T&C for example if you booked it in Australia and other countries then it is a requirement to have 6 months on your passport when boarding a Royal Caribbean even if you are a US citizen.

If the OP booked under the US T&C the OP will almost certainly be fine.

As I said, it depends on which RCCL web site you visit and where you booked your tickets even if you are a US citizen. There are 2 separate components to authorizing your travel, the border control people (in this case CBP and State) and the carrier (in this case RCCL). To break it down...

1. The web site of the US State Department states that for a closed loop it does not mention the minimum length remaining.

2. The requirement by the carrier (Royal Caribbean) depends on the specific terms and conditions that you booked your ticket under. If you book your ticket under the US T&C then there is no 3 or 6 month requirement. If you book it under different T&C for example if you booked it in Australia and other countries then it is a requirement to have 6 months on your passport when boarding a Royal Caribbean even if you are a US citizen.

The T&C,s may read different but the sailings and ships are exactly the same!

RCI staff cannot distinguish who booked under which T&C,s at boarding time re passport longevity and requirements?

"Oh look OP booked this cruise while he was residing in Australia for 3 months so he cant board because of AU T&C,s even though he is an American citizen, now if he had booked in USA....":confused:

The condition is put on individuals when they enter there nationality and passport details into RCI,s system:)

I presume the AU T&C,s require 6 months in case of unforeseen ship deviation given all other countries and Islands surrounding us in Australia need 6 months passport validity bar New Zealand for Australian Citizens and permanent residents plus all Australian Citizens and residents need 6 months validity to enter USA Mexico and South America to cruise:)

Mine expires in Feb and we have a cruise this Nov. I'm not worried at all because passports aren't even looked at when we enter caribbean cruise ports. As long as it's valid the day we return, it's all that matters. I just have to send it in before our Feb cruise :-)

In Oct one year, we were cruising to Mex out of San Diego. The woman checking us in, told DH that his passport was expiring in 3-4 months, but only because she mentioned he should renew it when we got back. No problem cruising.

This subject has come up many times in previous threads, including one just in the last couple of months. Consensus is that for a closed loop cruise from the US to the Caribbean/Mex/Canada, it just needs to be valid.

Edited by BND

The OP is from the USA.

I always bring both our Passports and Birth Certificates, then if asked I have everything. Also remember to bring a Photo ID especially when going into Ports, because upon entering the docks from a tour, they will ask for it.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

no problem. The 6 month think [sic] is for land based vacations to certain countries

that's not correct...

...There's no distinction as to how you arrive.

i am correct. Closed loop cruise canada or caribbean, no problem

Your first post infers the 6 month rule applies only to land based vacations and not arrival by ship. That's just not correct...

Lew

Your first post infers the 6 month rule applies only to land based vacations and not arrival by ship. That's just not correct...

Lew

Depends on where the cruise is going. The OP is not going to any counties that require passports to be valid for 6 months unless visiting for a land based vacation. The OP doesn't even need a passport for their cruise

Canada and the U.S. do not require any extra passport validity time for their citizens to visit the other country, by any method (land, sea, air). Your passport just needs to be valid.

Edited by dwjoe

Depends on where the cruise is going. The OP is not going to any counties that require passports to be valid for 6 months unless visiting for a land based vacation. The OP doesn't even need a passport for their cruise

I understand and agree...

Lew