Purchase NoK in Copenhagen

We will be on the NCL Star out of Copenhagen in September. Our first two ports are in Norway. We will need to pay the Norwegian tour guide in Nok and will not have the opportunity to find an ATM machine prior to the start of the tour.

My question is, can I purchase NoK from an ATM in Copenhagen? If not, can I get a good exchange rate at a bank or money change office in the airport or city?

I would rather not purchase Nok in the US prior to the trip, since the exchange rate is not very good.

We will be on the NCL Star out of Copenhagen in September. Our first two ports are in Norway. We will need to pay the Norwegian tour guide in Nok and will not have the opportunity to find an ATM machine prior to the start of the tour.

My question is, can I purchase NoK from an ATM in Copenhagen? If not, can I get a good exchange rate at a bank or money change office in the airport or city?

I would rather not purchase Nok in the US prior to the trip, since the exchange rate is not very good.

Have you described your problem to your tour guide? They can be very helpful when it comes to getting their fees. :D

If your first Norwegian port is Bergen, it isn't going to be very far to an ATM.

Have you described your problem to your tour guide? They can be very helpful when it comes to getting their fees. :D

If your first Norwegian port is Bergen, it isn't going to be very far to an ATM.

Our first port is Bergen. I have no idea where the ATM machines might be. I am the tour organizer and responsible for collecting the cash to pay the tour company. They want Nok. I suspect they might take US dollars, but that the exchange rate would not be good.

I didn't want using the ATM to delay the start of our tour, particularly if everyone on the tour has to use the ATM to acquire Nok.

Our first port is Bergen. I have no idea where the ATM machines might be. I am the tour organizer and responsible for collecting the cash to pay the tour company. They want Nok. I suspect they might take US dollars, but that the exchange rate would not be good.

I didn't want using the ATM to delay the start of our tour, particularly if everyone on the tour has to use the ATM to acquire Nok.

Sounds like you have checked it all out.

I would still be asking for their solution...including credit card or international money order(s) for the full amount.

Here is a link with a discussion about your issue. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190502-i934-k5607903-Money_exchange-Bergen_Hordaland_Western_Norway.html

Not possible to get NOK fro ATM's in Denmark. Exchange from USD will require a change to DKK first and then to NOK.

Check if you can get USD exchanged to NOK at the cruise ship or it might still be better to purchase the NOK in US

I would ask your guide if at some point in the tour there is an ATM

I know there are a few not far from the dock

If all else fails you may need to just use the Money exchange booth at the airport in the USA or CPH ..if you are connecting someplace you could try there as well

Will the tour guide take CC's?

Does everyone in your group need to exchange money??

Edited by LHT28

I'd bit the bullet and pay the extra $20 or whatever it costs to get the Kroner before you go. Time on shore is worth more than that to me.

But you can be certain that if you tell your tour guide that he won't get paid unless the tour includes a hole-in-the-wall cash machine - then your tour WILL include a hole-in-the-wall cash machine!

I'd bit the bullet and pay the extra $20 or whatever it costs to get the Kroner before you go. Time on shore is worth more than that to me.

But you can be certain that if you tell your tour guide that he won't get paid unless the tour includes a hole-in-the-wall cash machine - then your tour WILL include a hole-in-the-wall cash machine!

I second this response. It's just not worth the hassle of finding ATMs when you can get the money in the US prior to the trip. So you lose a little on the transaction - it's well worth it.

We took the overnight ship/ferry DFDS from Copenhagen to Oslo and wanted some Norwegian currency before our arrival in Norway. We had no problem getting the currency at a Copenhagen bank, using our ATM card at a teller's window. There were options at the bank's ATM for Norwegian, Swedish and Danish currency, but we opted for the customer service. There was a fee, but we were arriving Oslo on a Sunday and desired money for tips and incidentals.

Other than public transportation and tips, we used credit cards throughout our stays in Copenhagen and all over Norway and found little need for cash.

I'm sure you'll have no problem here in Bergen finding an ATM during your tour. What ship will you be on and when will you be arriving? I can check which terminal you're docking in (and advise if there is an ATM nearby).

If not you should be fine getting NOK in Copenhagen airport. At Bergen airport, which is far smaller, they have ATMs from which you can withdraw all major scandinavian currencies, euros and US dollars. Maybe there is something similar in Copenhagen?

I'm sure you'll have no problem here in Bergen finding an ATM during your tour. What ship will you be on and when will you be arriving? I can check which terminal you're docking in (and advise if there is an ATM nearby).

If not you should be fine getting NOK in Copenhagen airport. At Bergen airport, which is far smaller, they have ATMs from which you can withdraw all major scandinavian currencies, euros and US dollars. Maybe there is something similar in Copenhagen?

Many thanks, our ship is the Norwegian Star, which docks in Bergen on 24 September.

Looks like you'll be docking at Bontelabo. This is a good location and very close to the town, but there is no terminal building here, and therefore no facilities immediately alongside the ship.

The nearest ATM is on the walk into town (which takes about 5 mins at a comfortable pace and is clearly signed). I'm sure you'll be able to get hold of cash on the day but if you're doing a tour straight from the ship it might be easier to just bite the bullet and pay the exchange rate before you come.

Either way I hope you have a great trip! Let me know if there's any more info you need :)

Looks like you'll be docking at Bontelabo. This is a good location and very close to the town, but there is no terminal building here, and therefore no facilities immediately alongside the ship.

The nearest ATM is on the walk into town (which takes about 5 mins at a comfortable pace and is clearly signed). I'm sure you'll be able to get hold of cash on the day but if you're doing a tour straight from the ship it might be easier to just bite the bullet and pay the exchange rate before you come.

Either way I hope you have a great trip! Let me know if there's any more info you need :)

Thanks for your help, we are excited about our visit to Norway.

UKCruiser88-

I have the same question and need ATM.. I'm arriving on the Eurodam 29 Aug. Is there an ATM near our pier? tahnx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Royal65

Eurodam is also scheduled to dock at Bontelabo, so it's the same answer as above re: facilities (there are none alongside the ship here, but an atm is availbale on the walk into town, around 5-10mins from the ship at a comfortable pace).

I will be down at Bontelabo to take photos of Eurodam departing, so check my blog if you'd like to see pictures of your sailaway from Bergen :)

I agree try Wells Fargo bank ..