Do people decorate their doors on Celebrity?

texasgirl29

Again, thanks everyone, for your responses. I just find it fun to decorate a bit. When we sailed on Princess during Christmas a few years ago, I wrapped our door like a package. Later that same week was my birthday, and our cabin steward hung a sign and balloons. It just makes it festive. On Disney, where everyone seems super excited to be on board, not everyone decorates but many do, and I started making magnets for my door. It's yet another pre-cruise activity that adds to the anticipation and enjoyment of planning the cruise.

Not sure if I'll do any door decorations next summer but it will be our anniversary, so I just might. I do like the idea of the windsock on the balcony to identify your room....

JoAnn

Maybe all of us "tacky" door decorators should band together and go on the same cruise. We could have some fun. And the opinionators could have fun looking down their noses at us.

I was on a southern Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise with some very creative people. We never knew what we would find on our door in the morning. It was lots of fun.

Linda

For our upcoming Alaska cruise on Solstice, we plan on decorating the door for our daughter's birthday.

Not sure I would do it for any another reason.

It seems harmless enough. If it makes someone feel special - why not?

Door decorations are few and far between. The only problem I would have is the materials people use. For me it's just taking care of property that doesn't belong to me. Just make sure the materials you use don't damage the finishes on the ship and to be completely honest, I have seen some really bad looking things on doors. The magnetic signs seem to be the most tasteful and don't damage the doors.

Edited by Ma Bell

A fellow I knew very well wore a baseball cap to a formal function a couple of years ago.

He was actually a bit embarrassed, but it was because he had recently had an operation to remove a brain tumor.

Unfortunately he lost his battle with the big C a few months later

Perhaps we should all accept that there are sometimes valid reasons for what might otherwise be considered inappropriate.

cheers

I was also going to say I guess my friend with alopecia should be expected to eat in the buffet all week if she's embarrassed by an outbreak and would rather wear a hat.

Here is the official photo from our wedding Please note that I am not wearing a baseball cap OR cleats.

http://www.smokeymountainwedding.org/images/redneck%20wedding.jpg

A quick scan of the posts on this thread makes it easy to decide who I would love to cruise with and who doesn't meet our standards ;).

To the OP, the magnetic paper idea works well. Get at any office supply. Have fun.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:DBob and Phyl

i was thinking the same thing regarding who I would & would not want to cruise with.

And come on Bob, I remember your hair being lighter than that, & Phyl is much purtier than that!:D

DW used to decorate her doors when she taught Elementary School. When she retired from teaching she decorated her last door. We see door decorating like wearing baseball caps, they both have their place. The doors are great in Elementary schools and baseball caps are perfect at baseball games. Yes, we see a few decorated doors on cruise ships and also see some men (who think they are little boys) wearing baseball caps in the MDR (even on formal nights). Not sure either indicates a high degree of class (showing stylish excellence), but it is one of those different strokes kind of things.

Hank

Judge not...................

On our last couple of Disney cruises, I've created magnets for our door and participated in the gift exchange know as "fish extenders." I was wondering if anyone decorates their doors on Celebrity?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My DH and I do! We typically put a picture of our family on our door. If our birthday or anniversary, I also put up a little sign, or order a package from the ship to decorate the cabin. I know it is corny, but fun to do. I have also seen signs on other cabin doors.

Enjoy your cruise

What fun ! ! ! Not Tacky at all to me; it just adds to the festival feeling. My husband's eightieth birthday is our first day of 'at sea' on April 29th, 2015, on Celebrity, Infinity - THE birthday of this young man is going to be decorated, extravagant, and colorful - I can't wait ! ! ! ....door decorations, here we come!:)

How did this decorating tradition begin? I've only been on 3 cruises, 4th in December. I've seen a few doors with things plastered on them. It seems a little tacky in my opinion. Is it to solicite people knocking on your door to chat?

I don't know how it started, but to me, it's like decorating your house for Christmas. Maybe no one is coming over, but you put up decorations because it puts you in a festive mood. Some people like to put up something to signify the countries they're visiting, some like to put up small cutouts of a theme, like palm trees and hula girls for Hawaii. Cut outs that you get at a party store or scrapbooking store with a small magnet attached to the back make a nice decoration. No one has ever knocked on my door because they saw the door decorated, but some do walk by and smile!

Another useful item is a small whiteboard, especially if you're traveling with other friends or family members to let them know where you are and when you'll meet up.

JoAnn

Edited by texasgirl29

I don't know how it started, but to me, it's like decorating your house for Christmas. Maybe no one is coming over, but you put up decorations because it puts you in a festive mood. Some people like to put up something to signify the countries they're visiting, some like to put up small cutouts of a theme, like palm trees and hula girls for Hawaii. Cut outs that you get at a party store or scrapbooking store with a small magnet attached to the back make a nice decoration. No one has ever knocked on my door because they saw the door decorated, but some do walk by and smile!

Another useful item is a small whiteboard, especially if you're traveling with other friends or family members to let them know where you are and when you'll meet up.

JoAnn

If the decorations are for the enjoyment of the individual passenger shouldn't they be inside the cabin where they can be enjoyed? If I'm going to do something for a loved one, I want it to be where they can see it.

If the decorations are for the enjoyment of the individual passenger shouldn't they be inside the cabin where they can be enjoyed? If I'm going to do something for a loved one, I want it to be where they can see it.

The decorations are in the inside- just a sign saying Happy Birthday on the outside- also Happy anniversary, Bon Voyage- etc., if that is the ocassion-

The decorations are in the inside- just a sign saying Happy Birthday on the outside- also Happy anniversary, Bon Voyage- etc., if that is the ocassion-

I thought we were discussing decorating doors, not the decorations purchased from Celebrity. I'm well aware of those. I have no problem with people who want to decorate, but I will admit that I would hate to see it overdone.

Edited by Ma Bell

We, well ok dear, I :rolleyes: dont go nutts. When we sail on Princess they do some decorating as part of the special occasion pkg.

The door signs are included in the package. Never saw balloons on a door yet, your picture is a first. Some people do go nuts and overdo, however it is their cruise and if it dosen't impact anybody- who cares. I have seen people who sail around christmas time go nuts but that is a personal choice.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I have a sign that I put on the door that states:

------------------

BEWARE

OF

BOB

-----------------

I know where I am going and it seems to deter people standing in the corridor.:eek:

Love it!

I have never decorated a door and have no opinion one way or another on the subject.

However, if I had to scrape scotch tape off a couple dozen doors while cleaning and readying cabins for a new surge of cruisers, I would not be a happy cabin steward. Just saying......

I have never decorated a door and have no opinion one way or another on the subject.

However, if I had to scrape scotch tape off a couple dozen doors while cleaning and readying cabins for a new surge of cruisers, I would not be a happy cabin steward. Just saying......

Exactly.