Carrying the Cups.... What a pain!

Unfortunately I didn't really like RCI... There were many issues during our cruise that made us feel unhappy. Maybe it was the ship we picked, I don't know but next time I will save a bit more and go with Disney.

If you don't mind, could you please touch on at least a few of them? We're taking our first RCI cruise in April 2015 and have heard generally good things, but get nervous when we hear not-so-great things. Your needs and perceptions may be different than ours, so your negatives may not be negatives for us, but would love to hear your opinions!

It was also our first time with RCI and I belived that it was the wrong ship for us to try,

Let's see: they have 70's music during the whole time and was annoying, a little bit of everything would have been nice.

The were lines for everything; lines in Winjammer, lines to enter MDR, lines to embark/disembark (took almost 2 hours),lines at customer service (well, not surprised there), lines to pay at the stores, the lines at the Ports were crazy as well!!!!! Unacceptable, as it is not the first time they do this. I find it very disorganized the way they plan some things.

The food needs improvement big time... The Winjammer had the same things, day after day! And nothing healthy, like chicken breast, or fish that is not dry, or a better salad bar, same with the food on the MDR. This ship only have 1 other restaurant (Portofino)so there weren't many other choices. That was one of my biggest problems.

The service in general, we felt that their staff was in training because they were not very nice, one night we didn't even get drinks at diner, the whole entire meal and nothing!

The shows were NOT Broadway or Broadway like at all... Very boring, just singing and dancing but not real story. The comedian was "ok".

We had a total of 4 teenagers traveling with us and they were terribly bored with the "teen area" and their lack of activities.

Our stateroom person was GREAT and the staterooms were nice and clean. The decoration on the ship is beautiful and the whole ship is nice and clean.

We wonder if it is different with the newer ships, but now we are afraid to try it.

Since it is almost the same price then Disney we would rather go with them.

Unfortunately I didn't really like RCI... There were many issues during our cruise that made us feel unhappy. Maybe it was the ship we picked, I don't know but next time I will save a bit more and go with Disney.

I was curious about this statement as I have cruised Disney. It was great but so much more expensive. For my own benefit I did some comparisons to see if Disney prices have changed. I found two comparable Disney cruises and compared them to the price I am paying for upcoming cruises departing on the same days for the same type room. One RCI Freedom class is one day longer and one of the ships is the new, most expensive Quantum. Disney is more than 50% higher in cost for each! :eek: Crazy!!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest needing the cup at WJ but it would be a pain, and sort of ugly taking up space on table, to need cups in the MDR. The OP didn't answer a question about problems elsewhere so probably safe to assume it's related to WJ.

Perhaps the OP never dined in MDR so more meals in WJ and soda cups were inconvenient.

It was just an inconvenient having to carry them. Yes, I dine in the MDR EVERY night as it is the only place for diner, and many people would bring their cup. We decided to just get lemonade. The bars were not a problem but sometimes they said that they were to busy and send us to the Freestyle Machines.... Where you need the stupid cup!

It was just an inconvenient having to carry them. Yes, I dine in the MDR EVERY night as it is the only place for diner, and many people would bring their cup. We decided to just get lemonade. The bars were not a problem but sometimes they said that they were to busy and send us to the Freestyle Machines.... Where you need the stupid cup!

A bartender would tell you they were too busy to pour a soda? I find that very hard to believe. If any bartender told me to go to a freestyle machine, I would be going to Guest Relations to make sure that bartender was dealt with immediately.

A bartender would tell you they were too busy to pour a soda? I find that very hard to believe. If any bartender told me to go to a freestyle machine, I would be going to Guest Relations to make sure that bartender was dealt with immediately.

Trust me, I though about going to Guest Services, but the lines were so long that it wasn't even worth it.

I guess since the World Cup games were playing the bars were packed and the bartender felt that it was easier to send me to the machines.....

Wow this is a weird new rule. Just on Oasis this past May and never used the cup they gave me with my soda package once. I always asked the bartendar for a glass of soda and they gladly gave it to me. I find the cup bulky to carry with me while sitting by the pool and around the ship. I would just rather get a soda here/there. Plus I remember the waiters in the Windjammer getting me a glass of soda whenever I asked too. We are sailing on EOS on July 31st, will have to report back if they do enforce this rule. Hmmm strange new rule for sure......

It was just an inconvenient having to carry them. Yes, I dine in the MDR EVERY night as it is the only place for diner, and many people would bring their cup. We decided to just get lemonade.

I'm specifically interested in MDR b/c a new policy in WJ or a bar tender encouraging use of machines while busy doesn't really bother me.

Pax bringing in a cup to MDR I can see, perhaps freestyle had better variety or they didn't have to wait for beverage service. But did they REQUIRE seeing a cup in addition to your sticker to go get you a soda? Could the cup be shown and then stowed and then they bring a glass of soda?

I really can't picture beverage servers grabbing everyones cup and going off to fill them or even bringing a pitcher around and filling the cups. It would be a new policy for sure, requiring cups to get soda in MDR; and not greeted well.

I truly love CruiseCritic, but it's threads like this that have kept me from sharing it with some friends. I can hear it now, "you actually hang out at a message board where people debate endlessly on how to get their soda?????"..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On the MDR I just had to show my stamp and no problem.

On the WJ, if you didn't have a cup then you are out of luck because the servers cannot access the freestyle machine.

On the bars was not a problem unless they very super busy (yes, it did happen)

I just think carrying the cups was a pain... That is all.

On the Disney ships you don't even need to get a drink package!!

On the WJ, if you didn't have a cup then you are out of luck because the servers cannot access the freestyle machine.

In the WJ, were you requesting a flavor that is only available in the freestyle machine?

I LOVED how Disney had "take-out" cups at each beverage station.

We ate every evening in the dining room - and after the first, the kids didn't even have to order sprites - the amazing Cynthia just arrived with them. She knew all of our drinks and showed up with them - I think she got them when she saw us walk in. She was very fast. :)

Oh - one comment on the Wind Jammer. One day at lunch we sat behind the queen (well, she acted like she was the queen. We could barely concentrate on our table with all the diva-ness (new word) going on at that table!) She plops in her chair, summons one of the staff and says "Whew, I need a coke fast. Could you fetch me one." Sure enough - he came back with a coke in a glass. By then the grandkids and other adults arrived and next thing you know she was telling him all their drink orders. He was so nice about it and went and got them all. So it is possible to get a soda in there - I only assume they all had stamps on their cards but my back was to them and I didn't hear him ask for them. But they must have shown them to him.

I truly love CruiseCritic, but it's threads like this that have kept me from sharing it with some friends. I can hear it now, "you actually hang out at a message board where people debate endlessly on how to get their soda?????"..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We need to create a scale for first world problems on a cruise ship. I mean for the most part they're all first world problems but some just blow others away. :D

Nope, I just wanted Ginger Ale, he said they don't have access to the machines.

I then said "a lemonade is fine"...

Well, that blows that theory.;)

I really hope it was just a weird Explorer thing and not fleetwide. We did come across someone in the WJ on Freedom who was telling everyone that the Freestyle machine was broken. We commented that we were surprised because it worked fine earlier. She stuck a clear cup on it and pushed buttons and said "See". We smiled and put our cups on it and said "see" as we got our soda. She turned to another waiter and started speaking to her in another language so not sure what she said.

Amen! If I knew how to do the multiple quotes I would have also included the "first world problems" quote.

This thread just has me shaking my head. Honestly, complaining about having to use the cups :eek:...bait and switch...really??? :eek:

I would have to agree with you - you probably need to stay with Disney. RCCL is a wonderful cruise line but it isn't for everyone. I've been on both - they are both great. However, the OP didn't seem to be able to find ANYTHING positive about their cruise.

That is the epitome of a first world problem. :rolleyes:

I was curious about this statement as I have cruised Disney. It was great but so much more expensive. For my own benefit I did some comparisons to see if Disney prices have changed. I found two comparable Disney cruises and compared them to the price I am paying for upcoming cruises departing on the same days for the same type room. One RCI Freedom class is one day longer and one of the ships is the new, most expensive Quantum. Disney is more than 50% higher in cost for each! :eek: Crazy!!

I don't believe they meant, "save by going on a Disney cruise," but rather, "save to go on a Disney cruise." [emoji383]

I just got off the Explorer on Saturday and I am very disappointed with the whole experience. Carrying those cups to get a drink was a pain!! Even when they would check my Seapass that have a Coca-Cola stamp they told me in the Windjamer that they need my cup to get a drink!!! That is ridiculous !!

We were just on the Allure ,but, we didn't get the drink package. We commented a few times on what a pain it would be to carry the cup around with you.

Are there any of those freestyle machines anywhere besides the WJ on the allure or oasis?

There is a machine by the pizza place on the royal promenade on the Allure.

Wow. Being required to wait 15 minutes for a refill. OH THE HUMANITY! Curse you RCCL! ( shaking fist at sky)

I know this is an emotionally-charged issue and I wanted to see if some objectivity could help clear the carbonated waters. To that end I have embarked on an analysis of the adequacy of 15 minute refills (If we neglect the ability to go to a bar or restaurant for refills in the intervening 14 minutes). I don’t have a souvenir cup nearby, but from my calibrated memory I believe they hold about a quart (32 fl oz--although "they" may have put hidden air pockets in to reduce the capacity); so a bit of technical math machinations gets me 24 gallons per day of possible soda fillage (that’s a technical term). I have, to this point, neglected the time it takes to actually fill the cup, which could rob you of as many as two fill up per day if you’re a slow or indecisive refiller, so we’ll drop our estimated daily gallons to 23.5.

Is this enough? Well, longstanding advice has been to drink at least eight 8 fl oz glasses of fluids per day. Also the average American uses between 80-100 gallons of water per day; so, while you can draw your own conclusions, it appears that purchasers of the “unlimited” soda package, who are anthrophobic and only want to deal with Freestyle machines can be fairly certain of getting enough liquids to sustain life, but may have to forgo hand-washing, showering, flushing, watering the lawn, and cooking with their allotted refills to get by on their cruise vacation.

In summation: minimum needed (0.5 gallons/day) << Soda package (23.5 gallons/day) << average used (80-100 gallons/day).

If this helps at least one person in their choice of cruise line, it will have proved a worthwhile endeavor.