health insurance

i love to fly

As far as health insurance goes, I don't think they take anything for simple doctor visits. If they need to put you ashore for anything serious, then any insurance you have should take effect.

You can always purchase trip insurance for anything and everything that might happen to you while traveling.

Many credit card companies like Visa, MasterCard, and AMEX automatically cover medical expenses for trips you have charged to them, but check their terms.

You can always call the front desk for a wake up call, your clock radio should have an alarm function, and every ship I have ever been on has heating and AC, although the AC seems to go off at 2AM leaving you tossing in your sack.

You need to pay for any medical care then go to your insurance provider for reimbursement

Yes they have alarm clocks

Yes they in cabin heat/cooling thermostat

I believe the phone system can be set for a wake up call ...i have never used it though

do they honor blue cross blue shield health insurance on the ship?

Not as such. Each of the ships is equipped with limited medical facilities and are staffed by international medical personnel.

Customary Emergency Room fees and charges apply and payment is required at the time of service.

You will receive an invoice for any medical services provided on the ship, which may, if applicable, be submitted to your Insurance Provider for reimbursement

Do they do wake up calls?

Yes, telephone the front desk in order to set one up.

Do they supply an alarm clock?

Yes, you will find an alarm clock in every stateroom.

Does each room have its own heat/AC control? thanks.

Yes, Every stateroom is individually climate controlled

You can always call the front desk for a wake up call, your clock radio should have an alarm function, and every ship I have ever been on has heating and AC, although the AC seems to go off at 2AM leaving you tossing in your sack.

I can not recall our a/c ever "go(ing) off at 2 a.m." Suspect there was something wrong with yours. Just a guess.

I would hate the OP to think the climate control is only 18 hours at a stretch!

Donna

It does not shut off or change at 2 AM

I believe that your opinion on this is influenced more by your clean conscience and conventional sleeping hours than fact, Pam.

There is a distinct change after 2AM.

I believe that your opinion on this is influenced more by your clean conscience and conventional sleeping hours than fact, Pam.

We had noticed that, but why 2AM????:confused::confused:

What happens??

On the ship I am usually asleep at that time ...it is just at home I am up all hours :eek:

Maybe I need to cruise more often ;)

Lyn

What happens??

On the ship I am usually asleep at that time ...it is just at home I am up all hours :eek:

Maybe I need to cruise more often ;)

Lyn

It gets warm! We like our room very cool at night. Always before morning, I wake up throwing the covers off! :eek:

It gets warm! We like our room very cool at night. Always before morning, I wake up throwing the covers off! :eek:

OK I thought it was just my power surges kicking in :D

Not as such. Each of the ships is equipped with limited medical facilities and are staffed by international medical personnel.

Customary Emergency Room fees and charges apply and payment is required at the time of service.

You will receive an invoice for any medical services provided on the ship, which may, if applicable, be submitted to your Insurance Provider for reimbursement[

This didn't happen on O, but it's more about insurance than the ship. My husband used the medical facilities, and while the charges were typical of an ER (i.e., very high), our BCBS policy did not treat it as an ER visit. I can't remember the details, but we submitted the bill and they paid about $100 of the about $1000 charge. We had travel insurance which reimbursed us for the balance, so we didn't really pursue why BCBS handled it that way.

Jana

This didn't happen on O, but it's more about insurance than the ship. My husband used the medical facilities, and while the charges were typical of an ER (i.e., very high), our BCBS policy did not treat it as an ER visit. I can't remember the details, but we submitted the bill and they paid about $100 of the about $1000 charge. We had travel insurance which reimbursed us for the balance, so we didn't really pursue why BCBS handled it that way.

Jana

BCBS doesn't pay the emergency room rate because a cruise ship medical facility does not meet their definition of an ER. We always get travel insurance and get the travel insurance as primary so there are no hassles and multiple submissions to more than one insurance. Other poster is correct. Medicare does not pay, secondary might depending on your plan. Always get a complete bill with diagnosis and treatment itemized in English. I broke my toe on O and the medical center was great. Charges reasonable under the circumstances. Much better than trying to find a hospital or clinic in a foreign country the next day.

Our last three cruises have been on the Riveria. On the first two the reduction in cooling during the night was very evident. On the last cruise in June the reduction was not as dramatic.

We set the cooling high before retiring and adjust during the night as needed.

Well, you are right about the conventional sleeping hours. I also am the lady who immediately requests a change from a heavy duvet to a light "velveteen"-type blanket and keeps the a/c set as low as it goes :)

Edited by CintiPam

I have never gotten hot after 2AM - never had a clue anything changed! However, I do NOT make it really cool in the stateroom. What I do, however, is ask that the wonderful looking down comforter be replaced with a very light blanket, and then I don't need much AC! Just ask your attendant for one.

If your health insurance doesn't cover you in an emergency on a cruise ship, you may want to purchase travel insurance which includes health coverage. Be aware, though, that most companies don't cover any medical assistance needed due to a pre-existing condition (e.g. diabetes) unless you purchase the policy with 10 days to 2 weeks of your FIRST payment to the cruise line. You can probably get the insurance Oceania offers later than that, but if so, you'll probably pay more. I use insuremytrip.com to shop for insurance.

We had to use the ship's doctor once and were pleasantly surprised with the cost - much less than what I would have paid at home if I didn't have insurance. (Service was great too.)

Edited by roothy123

We're going thought this now. We did buy insurance and had a problem during the cruise. We filed with the cruise insurance, they told us we had to file with are own health insurance, and see what they will pay...If they pay somethings or nothing, then we file those papers with the claim and then they will pay the amount due.

This is the 2nd time we had to use the insurance, last time it safe us about $35,000 with air, hotels and cruise. This time we'll get back $2,900-so I do think it's good to get the insurance. You never know what's going to happen.

Rick

We purchased medical insurance separately for the first time. Two of our credit cards have trip reimbursement benefits but not medical coverage. Have always purchased full policy but this will save $$$. Hopefully we won't need to try it out! I am medicare and my secondary might pay something if needed (I called and wrote down contact info, incase). Dennis is still BC/BS and I didn't look into his coverage. For the relatively small fee, I purchased the medical for both. SquareMouth $500,000 pp primary coverage among other benefits.

Lynne

We're going thought this now. We did buy insurance and had a problem during the cruise. We filed with the cruise insurance, they told us we had to file with are own health insurance, and see what they will pay...If they pay somethings or nothing, then we file those papers with the claim and then they will pay the amount due.

Rick

Same for us - we had to file with our regular insurance first, then the travel insurance. Luckily, and to our surprise, our health insurance covered the modest charges from the ship's doctor plus a medication. Of course, every health insurance (and medical situation) is different, so you just never know.

Primary and secondary coverage is not easily understood, at least by me. I understand if you do not have any other insurance then secondary coverage is in effect primary. Plus even if you have purchased primary you may still have to first exhaust other insurance coverage - it is confusing.

and primary might not cost more, or much more, but might be more difficult to get so buying insurance early helps to get the most options/ policies available.

I have had excellent conversations with these people when I had questions on a making a claim. They also try to put info in easier to understand terms with examples but of course, policy wording is what counts. http://tripinsurancestore.com/how-primary-and-secondary-travel-insurance-medical-coverage-works/

Also watch lifetime limits on any 'other insurance' for things such as some dental work or other 'non-health' items. For example I have coverage through work. Some of the coverage has lifetime limits. My concern is if I have a travel claim and I first must use other insurance then I could hit the lifetime limit and then it goes to travel insurance. Consequently might I end up with no further coverage from my employers policy for that item.

For me I am not so concerned with the bells and whistles with travel insurance policies. If I miss a trip I don't lose any money, I lose a vacation - the trip is already paid for. But the medical part could involve huge excessives. Not unlike going long vs. shorting - the financial exposure is very different.

Don't take my word for for any of this. Get as much good advice as you can from those licensed to sell insurance, as early as possible or you could be travelling like me with 'ignorance is bliss' coverage.

From my own experience, my personal (secondary) insurance plan BCBS Florida will not pay anything if my primary Medicare doesn't pay. And Medicare WILL NOT PAY FOR ANY MEDICAL CHARGES INCURRED OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Therefore we always purchase trip insurance, usually from Allianz.

Noting on another thread that Chase Sapphire is now covering trip cancellation, and I think medical was mentioned. Have to contact Chase Sapphire to see what's up!

From my own experience' date=' my personal (secondary) insurance plan BCBS Florida will not pay anything if my primary Medicare doesn't pay. And Medicare WILL NOT PAY FOR ANY MEDICAL CHARGES INCURRED OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Therefore we always purchase trip insurance, usually from Allianz.

Noting on another thread that Chase Sapphire is now covering trip cancellation, and I think medical was mentioned. Have to contact Chase Sapphire to see what's up![/quote']

Our experience with UnitedHealthcare is the same.