Asking for price reduction

Blondilu

How many times can you call Princess and have your fare lowered after you've seen the price reduced on the website or in a mailed advertisement? Will they let you do it only once? Or can you call every time you see a fare reduction? Is it even smart to keep calling or should I wait til just before final payment. My cruise is a year away and final payment is due next May.

I'm not new to cruising, but ashamed to say I've never bothered to look before if my fare was reduced. It's just this cruise is longer and way more expensive than the others I've done. I would like to get a deal if I can.

How many times can you call Princess and have your fare lowered after you've seen the price reduced on the website or in a mailed advertisement? Will they let you do it only once? Or can you call every time you see a fare reduction? Is it even smart to keep calling or should I wait til just before final payment. My cruise is a year away and final payment is due next May.

I'm not new to cruising, but ashamed to say I've never bothered to look before if my fare was reduced. It's just this cruise is longer and way more expensive than the others I've done. I would like to get a deal if I can.

I would call them as soon as you see a price reduction. Prices change up and down sometimes daily. Up until final pmt, you should be able to get any price reduction. Keep checking! And make sure you are signed on to Captains Circle so you get your prices. Good luck. Also, this is only if booked directly with Princess. If TA, they must call.

Just so that you know, most promos and "price reductions" are for new bookings only. It's worth asking but don't be disappointed if you don't qualify. A good TA can not only save you 10-20% to start with (Princess allows TAs to discount fares) but they can possibly also wrangle promo fare reduction and perks. In my experience, it's always been better to book with a TA than directly. Who doesn't like to save money? :)

I too would suggest calling as soon as you see a reduction. My fall cruise has been re-fared by my TA three times, each time at a lower rate. The price has since gone back up.

Do be aware of restrictions that may go along with the price drops/sales. Sometimes the deposit may become non-refundable/non-transferable, or it may have to increase to get the decreased fare. Or you may have to trade off an OBC for a fare drop. Just be certain you understand the "fine print."

As our final payment date approaches, we've made the decision to book the lowest category that we'd be happy with. That way, if there are price reductions after final payment, we can always try to upgrade in lieu of a price reduction. We've done this before on other cruise lines and the strategy has paid off. Hope it works on Princess too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just so that you know, most promos and "price reductions" are for new bookings only. It's worth asking but don't be disappointed if you don't qualify. A good TA can not only save you 10-20% to start with (Princess allows TAs to discount fares) but they can possibly also wrangle promo fare reduction and perks. In my experience, it's always been better to book with a TA than directly. Who doesn't like to save money? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there anywhere on cruise critic that's lists good travel agents that will give you a good price and reduction when necessary?

I didn't realise until last week that you can ring and get the price reduced if you see it cheaper elsewhere,price match etc...

Is there anywhere on cruise critic that's lists good travel agents that will give you a good price and reduction when necessary?

No, it is against Cruise Critic policy.

Best to ask fellow passengers at your next Meet and Greet.

I didn't realise until last week that you can ring and get the price reduced if you see it cheaper elsewhere,price match etc...

Cruise Critic specifically forbids mentioning the name of a TA. Likewise a TA or agency is forbidden from promoting business on CC. Most people suggest asking fellow cruisers - possibly at a meet and greet on your next cruise - for info on good TAs who book a lot of Princess cruises and are likely to give a discount, OBC, or both. Of course that won't help for your current needs...

Some people have reported that they did ask fellow cruisers and got terrible responses from people who seemed to regard that as privileged information. Very odd behavior. I would think most people who are happy with their TA would be more than happy to share the information with others.

My last cruise and the next one booked were booked with a local TA. I had to watch for price drops myself but, when I did see them and alerted the TA he then got me a price that was even less than the lower price I was able to see. Obviously he discounted it a bit further than the Princess price.

I now have the names of a couple of different TAs to try for my cruise in 2015. I did book it directly through Princess but will be submitting the info to these people to see what they can offer me to better the price I get by booking directly with Princess. Only time will tell how this works out for me but I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

As I said above, most folks strongly recommend asking at your meet and greet onboard. If you aren't already signed up in the roll call for your cruise I'd suggest you do it now so you have a circle of people to ask once you are onboard.

J it's always been better to book with a TA than directly.

Well,I wouldn't say ALWAYS... that's true with the right TA. I had a TA and the only difference between doing it myself and the TA was tow coupon books found in the stateroom.

I paid the same fares, had to argue about air (she had booked us on a nonexistent flight and I still have no idea how she did that!).

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I DO like to save money when possible so will keep checking and will call Princess as soon as I see any kind of offers that would potentially benefit me. My cruise is a year away so hope they don't get tired of me calling.:o

...I paid the same fares, had to argue about air (she had booked us on a nonexistent flight and I still have no idea how she did that!).

I had this happen to me also. It used to be a valid flight #, but had been discontinued a month or so before by the airline and a TA managed to "book" me on it anyway. That is why I no longer use a TA for air/hotels/rental cars. Too many problems, and often at higher prices than I can book directly for.

I still believe in using a good cruise TA, however, as they can save you money and get you perks that booking directly cannot. The trick is finding a good one!

Edited by Ryndam2002

I check frequently for price drops, ours has only gone up in price since we booked this time. As long as it is same category - L for an L, M for an M or whatever - you will get discount. Before making final payment this week I called directly to ask if there was a price drop. No discount after you make that payment from what I understand so waited til last possible moment to ask and to pay. I know on Carnival a few years ago the price dropped four times and though it was only for $10 or so dollars each time, they added up nicely.

If it is a regular price cut (not a special sale) we have gotten reductions three times on the same booking. We could have asked for a fourth but decided to let them have the $50 each for the office Christmas party. Our last reduction was for hundreds of dollars.

Steve