To Patch, or not to Patch?

josie724

I am a bit nervous about our upcoming cruise, the last cruise we took left us sea sick toward the middle of the cruise and for several days post cruise. Our cabin on that sailing was the first forward cabin on the highest deck. The seas weren't super high, but I guess the winds were bad enough to feel the ship sway. I used the patch the entire cruise, and my husband used it for part of the cruise. I actually was worse off than he was once we debarked.

So.....my question is.....should I try to just use bonine at night, and go with ginger tabs and green apple as needed? I really don't know which route to go. I know it's better to try to prevent it rather than treat it after the onset.

BTW we are doing the NY - Bermuda cruise, so hopefully being docked for 3 days might help.

We just got back from this cruise and I also tend to be prone to sea sickness. I took a bonine every night just to be safe. We did have some rough seas the night we left Bermuda and on our last sea day because of hurrican Arthur. Taking the bonine I was fine and had no issues. For almost every cruise I do this, since like you said, its much easier to prevent it than treat it. If the seas are really rough I'll often supplement the bonine during the day with ginger.

I, too, am prone to seasickness. I can't imagine that anything else would be better if you were still having some seasickness with the patch in place. I found that I too, had some rebound seasickness after getting home. I usually leave the last patch in place for as long as it will stay on. Leaving it in place gradually lowers the levels of scopolamine in your body. I find that helps.

I get Bonine for my partner since he did get sea sick once and the fear of it happening again can trigger it for him. Sold over the counter at my Target for less than $6 a box and contains 16 or 20 chewable tablets with raspberry flavor. I have tried them once or twice as needed and it works fine. The dose on the box says one tablet each day. I start my partner on it the night before the cruise so he can have the benefit of it in his system once on board. Here continues to take them before bed each night.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

You weren't in the best location to avoid sea sickness.

My husband is very prone to sea sickness and since our first cruise we are very careful about location.

Mid-ship is a necessity for us.

But we do prefer being up higher in the ship even though we know it is a tad more stable being down lower.

He uses the patch religiously. Bonine didn't help him.

And even on the patch, when we are up high in the Sky Lounge, he will occasionally have problems and we end up leaving early.

But once he leaves that location he is fine.

I use the patch if the waves are high. I don't get sea sick, but once off the ship I do experience the rocking motion for several weeks after the cruise.

Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to try taking the bonine the night before we sail, and continuing at bedtime while cruising. I might also give the wrist bands a shot, as well as ginger and green apples, (I think I've got all bases covered). Our cabin in located mid ship on deck 8 so hopefully that will help, and some calm seas would be a nice added benefit (do you hear me weather gods?:D)

Edited by josie724

I would also recommend speaking with your doctor about dosages. The OTC recommendations for dosages of motion sickness drugs are generally 1/2 the dosage that could be taken if needed. I am not an MD, but discovered this through research - check with your doctor for specifics. The medicine in regular Dramamine also seems to work better than that in Dramamine II or Bonine, although it makes you more sleepy. I've even found that one Bonine and one original Dramamine taken together (again, I am not prescribing - check with your MD) can really help me in bad seas. I took that on a recent snorkel excursion where the seas were crazy and did not feel even the least bit sick, and I am very susceptible. I personally had no luck at all trying the patch - it fell off once or twice and I never was completely sure how much was or was not in my system and it did not stop my seasickness. I do much better with OTC at the higher doses if needed, and ginger pills. I also need to take the meds for a couple days after cruising rough seas.

Mid-ship rooms are also significantly better for motion, and the lower the floor the better.

I am very prone to sea sickness and, in fact, cannot fly without dramamine, nor can I sit in the back of a car. We always take patches with us when we cruise. Most of the time lately, the seas have been pretty calm and we do not use them. When it does get rough, we put them on and are then fine. We have never had a reaction after the cruise from them. We have tried things like wrist bands, but they did not work at all. They did not even help when flying on a smooth flight. I really think they are more psychological. Have a great cruise.

Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to try taking the bonine the night before we sail, and continuing at bedtime while cruising. I might also give the wrist bands a shot, as well as ginger and green apples, (I think I've got all bases covered). Our cabin in located mid ship on deck 8 so hopefully that will help, and some calm seas would be a nice added benefit (do you hear me weather gods?:D)

That location will help tremendously. I would suggest bringing the patch, just in case.;)

Bonine taken exactly they way you mentioned prevented me from sea sickness in 35 ft seas.

But it did not help my husband.

If not for the patch, that would have been our last cruise.:eek:

I am not a fan of the patch. While some people tolerate it well, many suffer horrible side effects such as blurry vision, dry mouth, confusion and difficulty urinating. Alcohol increases this effect. I felt so disoriented on the patch, and much better when I switched over to Meclizine (Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine)

For those with sea sickness, the cabin is important, and it's not just the location. Yes, the cabin should be in the middle (the middle third length-wise) and lower part of the ship (lower half by height). Don't go for the lowest level as sometimes you can feel the engine.

The cabin must have at least a window, if you can get sea sick, never stay in an inside cabin.

As for apples, ginger, bonine, or patch - depends on your body. I get sick just from looking at the boats, ginger helps. Bonine for me on rough sea days only.

Hi Josie -- we're on Summit with you (you may remember me from the r/c thread).

My DH and I are both lucky -- he never suffers from motion sickness. And, after nearly 10 years of cruising, I thought I was OK, too. Then, we did a Trans-Pacific crossing, from San Diego to Hawaii (and back) -- on Century, which is X's oldest (and smallest) ship. First day out, I was introduced to the concept of a "beam sea" -- where waves come from the side, not head-on. My vestibular system finally adjusted, but that first day was not a lot of fun. :(

So now, I always travel with Bonine and Ginger candies. The problem with Bonine (or Dramamine) is that you generally have to take them before you have problems with the motion-of-the-ocean. Ginger candies (or ginger ale) will work, as long as you can still keep stuff down. If you have Trader Joe's where you are, they carry tins of ginger mints and little bags of ginger chews. If not, see if you can find a store that carries Newman's Own products -- they make very good organic ginger mints.

And, if you run out of ginger onboard, just send your DH to find me. ;) I plan to be well-stocked, since this is our first time sailing that part of the Atlantic -- and, it's hurricane season, to boot! :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

I am prone to sea sickness, but I take a Bonine about an hour before ship pulls out and I am usually good unless we hit bad weather then I just take another. I have tried to patches and found they do not react well with alcohol, I was much less sick after removing patches.

I am not a fan of the patch. While some people tolerate it well, many suffer horrible side effects such as blurry vision, dry mouth, confusion and difficulty urinating. Alcohol increases this effect. I felt so disoriented on the patch, and much better when I switched over to Meclizine (Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine)

DW had a horrible reaction to scopolamine. Add hallucinations, eye pain and cardiac arrhythmia to your list.

I used the patch on our first cruise - did great until I took it off on the way home. The next few days I was so dizzy and sick - I couldnt even make it to the doctor. Finally on day 3 I had made it in- He walked in and said "you look horrible" . I had such a bad reaction - he said for me the withdrawl from it was like somone coming off of drugs. I wont ever ever use the patch again. I just took little seasick pills the last 2 times and did great with them.

Hope no one else has had a bad reaction as I did.