Questions about bringing our own drinks and keeping them cold...

Disneycruisers

Our family will be sailing Princess for the first time in November.

We're bringing Dr Pepper onboard (I think that's permitted?)

However, we're staying in an interior, and an ocean-view. I read that refrigerators are only in mini-suites. If we meet and tip our room steward ahead of time, will he/she bring us extra ice (to cover our drinks?) We like to drink straight up, out of ice-cold cans. We're thinking of bringing a fold-up collapsible cooler to fill with ice (are there any ice machines?)

Thank you!:)

We have stayed in every category cabin (except full suites) and there was a COOLER in every cabin. It isn't a true refrigerator, your drinks will be chilled, but not icy.

Instead of having the steward remove the drinks, we put them on the shelf behind the TV. Then at the end of the cruise, we put them back in the fridge.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Our family will be sailing Princess for the first time in November.

We're bringing Dr Pepper onboard (I think that's permitted?)

However, we're staying in an interior, and an ocean-view. I read that refrigerators are only in mini-suites. If we meet and tip our room steward ahead of time, will he/she bring us extra ice (to cover our drinks?) We like to drink straight up, out of ice-cold cans. We're thinking of bringing a fold-up collapsible cooler to fill with ice (are there any ice machines?)

Thank you!:)

Have your steward remove whatever is in the fridge when you board to make room for your Dr. Pepper (yes, it's allowed to bring onboard). There aren't any ice machines, but as mentioned, the steward will keep your ice container full.

We have stayed in every category cabin (except full suites) and there was a COOLER in every cabin. It isn't a true refrigerator, your drinks will be chilled, but not icy.

I've read this many times, but the fridge in our room always seems to be plenty cold!

Instead of putting the sodas aside, I find it's better to have steward remove them. When they clean room and see they aren't in fridge you will be charged for drinking them. You can get it credited back when you show where they are but it's easier just to have them removed if you don't plan on drinking them.

I've read this many times, but the fridge in our room always seems to be plenty cold!

I agree with Sherry.

It is in fact a refrigerator and we have never had one that wasn't cold after the initial 24 hours.

Mike:)

Instead of putting the sodas aside, I find it's better to have steward remove them. When they clean room and see they aren't in fridge you will be charged for drinking them. You can get it credited back when you show where they are but it's easier just to have them removed if you don't plan on drinking them.

The stewards aren't paid to remove the items. There's no reason to hassle them to do so. Just stash them behind the TV.

I've had very cold refrigerators and marginal refrigerators. It depends on the cabin. Some are in need of replacement and others are either working great or have been replaced.

I take soda as well as I drink Mt. Dew and Princess doesn't stock that. I'm not a huge soda drinker but, when I do want a soda, I want my Dew! (Maybe it's an IT worker thing...)

The stewards aren't paid to remove the items. There's no reason to hassle them to do so. Just stash them behind the TV.

The are paid to attend to your needs pertaining to the room. So yes they are paid to do exact that if you request them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. The one time we asked the steward to remove them, that's where he put them too. It saves them the hassle of removing them from the room and then having to restock it for the next passenger. I just move them myself now. The stewards have enough to do on turnaround day to have to hassle with something like that.

I've had very cold refrigerators and marginal refrigerators. It depends on the cabin. Some are in need of replacement and others are either working great or have been replaced.

I take soda as well as I drink Mt. Dew and Princess doesn't stock that. I'm not a huge soda drinker but, when I do want a soda, I want my Dew! (Maybe it's an IT worker thing...)

Sometimes the soda cans and water bottles are on a tray on the desk (with a card displaying the prices) and sometimes they're in the fridge. In the latter case, I just place them on the shelf next to the TV. We have never been charged for them ever. And it's such an easy, quick task that I can't see waiting for the cabin steward to do it when they're already pretty busy on their turnaround day.

I'm not in IT, but I'm a Dew drinker too. I bring aboard my supply too along with Sobe, etc.

The refrigerator stays colder if you pop open the door to that cupboard a little. It gets pretty warm in there and the frig has to work extra hard to stay cold.

Yes this is very helpful. You may have to remind Stewart a couple of times, because they are trained to keep the door closed.

The refrigerator cabinets are poorly designed and do not ventilate the heat well or at all. You'd think they would have a vent leading somewhere.

The are paid to attend to your needs pertaining to the room. So yes they are paid to do exact that if you request them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe it's actually a Room Service thing - not a Steward thing. Of course I could be wrong. I still don't see why I should ask the busy steward to do something so simple.

Edited by Thrak

The refrigerator stays colder if you pop open the door to that cupboard a little. It gets pretty warm in there and the frig has to work extra hard to stay cold.

Yes this is very helpful. You may have to remind Stewart a couple of times, because they are trained to keep the door closed.

The refrigerator cabinets are poorly designed and do not ventilate the heat well or at all. You'd think they would have a vent leading somewhere.

All the refrigerator cabinets have a vent.

I believe it's actually a Room Service thing - not a Steward thing. Of course I could be wrong. I still don't see why I should ask the busy steward to do something so simple.
I agree with you. Room Service is responsible for the contents of your mini-fridge, NOT your steward. The stewards are responsible for 18-20 cabins and have only 13 hours to do all of those rooms twice a day. With the larger flat screens you may not have access behind the TV. Then just put the cans in the closet. if you just need to get them out of your cabin, call Room Service. I will step down from my soapbox now ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app