Please help me choose!

Fellow cruisers,

I'm having a very tough time choosing a cruise. I have two options.

Option 1: Cruise out of Tampa. 8 Day cruise to Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Ocean View room on Vision of the Seas.

Option 2: Cruise out of Port Canaveral. 9 Day cruise to Labadee, St. Croix, St. Marteen, and San Juan. Promenade View room on Explorer of the Seas.

The dilemma is the first option saves us around $500, however its not an itinerary I'm really excited about. I don't know much about either ship to have a preference. This is our second sailing so we're newbies. Can you experienced cruisers help me out??

Thanks! :D

I can only speak about Option #2. We've sailed Explorer and loved it but we sailed Explorer out of San Juan. Love the ports on Option #2.

Someone else will have to help you out on Option #1 ports. We've only visited Cozumel and have not yet sailed on Vision.

Cabin preference? Do you prefer to look out on the ocean or out on the mall and shops?

I would go with option 1. Saves you a lot of money and I'd prefer the ocean view. You have some spending money already for the trip out of the money you saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the cruises were the same price, I'd go with Explorer, simply because of personal preference for Voyager class. However, the difference is too much for me for one more day of cruising, so I'd go with the less expensive cruise.

I'd say Option #1 for the following reasons:

Some of those ports are actually really cool and offer interesting excursions.

You are saving a lot of money to spend on excursions and drinks!

Sailing from Tampa is absolutely brilliant and sailing under the Skyway can't be beat!!

(I am a little partial to Tampa though)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Question for you. Since this would be your second sailing, where did you sail the first time and on what ship?

I guess I'm different than the others in that I would choose option 2 just because I like the Voyager class and that extra day as well as going to Labadee for a day. I also don't really think Ocean view is really worth it. It's just a window. I say this having stayed many interior not because I only sail balcony or suites. When I have gotten ocean view I'm pretty bored with it within about an hour. Not that you will be staring out of your promenade cabin tons either but those are nice cabins as well. I could be wrong but maybe even slightly larger? I like the Promenade and the general layout and vibe on the voyager class.

I think you are going to have a great trip on either but a little more about what you actually like to do on days at sea and port days might help decide. You can find nice blue beaches at almost any port so if you are looking for that and want to drink more on the cruise, that $500 goes a long way. If you have already done some of those ports on your first cruise or been on a similar ship I'd spend the extra money and go option 2.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

For us we'd choose #2. Better bigger ship and better ports. As you've seen already opinions vary. As Patrick Swayze said in Road House:D

As for one comment above, can't see picking an entire cruise around a 45 second zipline ride in Labadee.........

~ The last post { Debbie } brought up a good point ! where was your first cruise destinations ?

We have been on a few cruises an , $ 500 Dollars is nice to have with you in those times of bartering in certain ports .

Yet in the long run ~ You { An whom ever your sailing with ? } are on Vacation ! an that $ 500 Dollars in the scheme of things is it worth the extra expense for a nicer an longer cruise .

The only comparison of the two ships is they are both RCCL ! ! ! which means they both come with a certain level of Professionalism ~ The Vision SHIP STATS

Gross Tonnage 78,340

Length 915 ft

Max Beam 105.6 ft

Draft 25 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

Now look at the Explorer

SHIP STATS

Gross Tonnage 138,000

Length 1,025 ft

Max Beam 157.5 ft

Draft 29 ft

Cruising Speed 22 knots

The Explorer was a Joy to cruise on . Don't get me wrong . We have been on { The Sovereign } which is the same class as the Vision !

As well as I'm pretty sure your looking at booking a cruise that we have taken in the past an had a Blast ! ! ! :D ! ! !

It is your choice , have a great cruise / either way !

Have a nice day ~ :) { J.L. }

What's the cost PER DAY? That would give you a more accurate comparison.

I would go with the Explorer. Yes, it would be nice to have an extra $500 in your pocket, but in the grand scheme of things, what's $500 when you're already spending a couple thousand dollars on a vacation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would choose option 2 for the ship, the ports, and the extra day, but consider an interior cabin. I had one promenade cabin and wasn't impressed. After the first afternoon, I was never in the room unless I was dressing/ undressing or sleeping, so it was just a lot of opening/closing of drapes for nothing. If the difference between promenade and interior is enough, it could be worth it to have the money available towards something else. Perhaps your next cruise :D

I am doing Option 1 in Feb.

I am a diver, and 3 of those 4 stops are some of the best diving/ocean/snorkeling locations in the world. so without a question for me it is option 1 (although i would still like to visit those option 2 stops). Also to my wife and I...stops are everything....

It truely is unique to see all 4 of those stops in option 1 on a cruise for any line.

Also, very cheap drinks in port on those as well (realtively speaking, compared to option 2). Coz 1 dollar beers....yeah...Coz is always a blast.

Labadee is just beach....while its not bad...the water is so hazy and not clear that you cant even really do any decent snorkelling. you can sit on the beach, get wet, and drink....or do jet ski's/that giant zipline.

Believe option 1, espeically with roatan, belize city, and costa maya (somewhat) will be less "touristie" than some of those big stops on option 2. just my opinion. I am not going until Feb but I know Roatan and belieze from dive history and site research.

Plus you have ruins at 3 of those option 1 spots....plus some interesting jungle/adventure style trips you can do in central america...especially if you branch out away form the cruise exursions and book a private one.

Option 2 does have a bigger/better ship

Edited by Deptacon

awesome...looking forward to more sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Looks like the new ship comes in November according to this news...guess thats the explorer addition

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/2dd231e6#/2dd231e6/3

They only have the winter 15 sailings listed though....not 16. Hmmm...wonder if they dont know what ship yet will go there winter 16.

And this...from March, speculates the new Oasis Class or Quantum Class could end up going there :) Which would be 2016....

Canaveral

Edited by Deptacon

I would choose option 2. The Explorer is a huge upgrade from the Vision in my opinion.

I totally agree! There is no way I'd choose a Vision class ship over a Voyager class ship.

Debbie, thanks for your reply! Our first sailing was on the Enchantment last year. It was a really quick 4 day cruise from Port Canaveral to Coco Cay and Nassau. We originally chose option one when we booked on the ship, but after more research I thought Option 2 looked nicer. Just wondering what more experienced cruisers may see that I don't.

I can only speak about Option #2. We've sailed Explorer and loved it but we sailed Explorer out of San Juan. Love the ports on Option #2.

Someone else will have to help you out on Option #1 ports. We've only visited Cozumel and have not yet sailed on Vision.

Cabin preference? Do you prefer to look out on the ocean or out on the mall and shops?

Thanks for the reply! We have only sailed once and had an ocean view room. It was nice, however I don't HAVE to have this option. Honestly, we came back to the room during the day and took naps etc so the sunlight was more of a distraction than anything.:)

Thank you everyone for all your opinions and ideas!! I really want to go to Puerto Rico so I think I'll take some of the other cruisers advice and stick with the 2nd option and perhaps look at an interior room if we want to save some $$. Btw I'm cruising w my hubby who will just be returning from Afghanistan. I'll gladly spend the extra $$ for a vacation we enjoy, just making sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks again, you guys are great!!!

I just looked and the price of an interior room is higher than the PR so, I guess we'll be keeping what we have. LOL

Edited by Crossfitmama09
update