Will there be a chocolate fountain?

Jo and Rob

I've been reading the thread about brunch disappearing and I must admit it was more a visual event than a gastronomic one.

However, my children loved the chocolate fountains at the brunch and I wondered if they still use them at some point during the cruise. We sail Infinity this week!!

Just returned from Norway on Infinity - fantastic time! Brunch served in Oceanview Cafe on last sea day. 2 chocolate fountains, one dark one white. See my review in a day or 2. Enjoy!!! Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We never touch a chocolate fountain,

First the chocolate is probably not real chocolate, as real chocolate will not flow like that , they have add a lot of oil to make it flow

Then just the sanitary reasons, people sticking their fingers in it :eek:

I've been reading the thread about brunch disappearing and I must admit it was more a visual event than a gastronomic one.

However, my children loved the chocolate fountains at the brunch and I wondered if they still use them at some point during the cruise. We sail Infinity this week!!

After I saw people standing by the chocolate fountains and "double dipping" I will not longer eat from them. These people weren't children- What a turn-off!

I agree 100% with the above two posters. If you want to spread the Noro virus or any sickness, just eat at a chocolate fountain. Sorry but children and adult children have no manners and I too have witnessed fingers in the fountains and double dipping on several occasions.

First the chocolate is probably not real chocolate, as real chocolate will not flow like that , they have add a lot of oil to make it flow

If you have ever watched a show on how they make chocolate candies you will know that chocolate does indeed flow like that when warmed - no other oils needed. Otherwise, how do they make candy bars, chocolate Easter bunnies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. Even the priciest chocolates are originally warmed to flow into forms or over other tasty centers.

What concerns me the most, however, is anything floating in the air around the flowing chocolate will be captured and become part of the chocolate. This could be dust, flying insects, or microbes from a nearby person's cough.

Edited by boogs

We had a green one on Solstice! Yes, green! I think it must have been white chocolate flavored with pistachio. I have always loved the chocolate fountains but now I will avoid them based on the posts here. Thank you for that info. I have never seen anyone double dipping or sticking their fingers in it. Yecch.

Ok, then don't eat it, but the op did not ask for your sanitary concerns,ask if they still provided the fountain??

Just returned from Norway on Infinity - fantastic time! Brunch served in Oceanview Cafe on last sea day. 2 chocolate fountains, one dark one white. See my review in a day or 2. Enjoy!!! Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We board Infinity on Thursday! Did you also go to Iceland? We have only traveled on Eclipse with Celebrity. What did you think of the ship?

We just got off the Infinity in June. Had a great cruise through the British Isles. She is a beautiful ship. Just know that she is a M Class ship, not one of the new S Class ships like the Eclipse and does not have the same "bells and whistles". She is smaller, but a great ship none the less. Have a great cruise

We just got off the Infinity in June. Had a great cruise through the British Isles. She is a beautiful ship. Just know that she is a M Class ship, not one of the new S Class ships like the Eclipse and does not have the same "bells and whistles". She is smaller, but a great ship none the less. Have a great cruise

Agree with you. Have sailed on the M class and S class ships- while I truly prefer the S class, especially the Silhouette and Reflection, we have started sailing every August on the Summit to Bermuda- she is smaller then her big sisters, but still has all that we need and is easy to navigate.!

Enjoy your cruises!

Is there no crew member standing at the chocolate fountain, to help supervise the dipping? This is what I've seen on Carnival. I haven't ever made it through the fountain line - way way too long and too slow. I'd like to try it someday but not if passengers serve themselves however they want. I see too many people careless about basic hygiene, hand washing & using bad practice in the buffet lines.

Is there no crew member standing at the chocolate fountain, to help supervise the dipping? This is what I've seen on Carnival. I haven't ever made it through the fountain line - way way too long and too slow. I'd like to try it someday but not if passengers serve themselves however they want. I see too many people careless about basic hygiene, hand washing & using bad practice in the buffet lines.

Agree about poor hygiene. My Dh tells me that many men - sorry , I have Two sons, do not wash after using the men's room. I do not want to sound sexist, but most women do. Then people touch handrails, serving spoons and elevator buttons. No wonder people get norovirus and other illnesses.

Never cared to use it. Seen too much abuse and poor hygiene practices by those using it, and not always by the youths. Things like finger dipping, yes just their finger, dipping without using tongs or stickes. Dripping and licking and dipping again. No thanks

Cruise on 🌊🚢🌅🚢

There was a chocolate fountain in the buffet during one particular 'special' sea day brunch on our recent Silhouette Med. cruise. I threw all caution to the wind -- and ignored the gaggles of teenagers blocking access -- and had genuinely delicous coconut bars and churros dipped in chocolate. For those who are uneasy with the sanitary issues, there are predipped chocolate-covered strawberries.

I'm with you on that. Its hard enough to get people to wash their hands on a cruise. We like to refer to it as the "chocolate cesspool". It's probably the least sanitary spot on the entire ship. Hope they do away with it for good, sorry kids.

If you have ever watched a show on how they make chocolate candies you will know that chocolate does indeed flow like that when warmed - no other oils needed. Otherwise, how do they make candy bars, chocolate Easter bunnies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. Even the priciest chocolates are originally warmed to flow into forms or over other tasty centers.

What concerns me the most, however, is anything floating in the air around the flowing chocolate will be captured and become part of the chocolate. This could be dust, flying insects, or microbes from a nearby person's cough.

The chocolate in chocolate fountains is not warmed to liquid on it's own, it would be too hot. It is pumped full of vegetable oil to get it to flow at a lower melting point.

Edited by tonyrocks922

The chocolate in chocolate fountains is not warmed to liquid on it's own, it would be too hot. It is pumped full of vegetable oil to get it to flow at a lower melting point.

Typically, oil is not added. The chocolate used in these fountains is a special chocolate with a higher cocoa butter content than regular chocolate, It is called "couverture" chocolate. The extra cocoa butter allows it to flow at warm temperatures. However, the chocolate must be melted first before adding it to the fountain.

See this website for more info: http://www.thechocolateguy.com/faq.htm

My wife's sister used to work at a catering company. She is my "go-to expert" on catered foods. What I wrote here is what she told me. The linked website backs her up.

Edited by boogs

Does that concern you more than breathing?:confused:

I like chocolate fountains and would be sad to see them go. Generally speaking I can't see that they are any more of a health risk than a buffet IF they are properly supervised.

They would make a great centrepiece for a late night dessert - a feature which I think is sadly lacking on Celebrity.